Gig Intruder

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby pidoca » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:55 pm

HI Guys

A good line that I heard a DJ friend of mine tell a punter was;

The punter wanted to have a go on the turn tables, So instead of telling him to #@$% Off the DJ starting talking to this guy and asked him what he did for a living. I think he said he waorked in the mines. The DJ did his best to be interest and asked about hte big trucks they drive, the punter thought he was in like flin. Then the DJ turned around and said " do you mind if I cime by your work and have a go on the trucks etccc" The punter faced looked shocked and told him NO. "well then" said the DJ, " how can you expect me to let you have a go, this is my work"

By Gooley I think he got it, he walked away.

I have used this scenario many times, workes most of the time. Bar the afore mentioned post.

Pidoca
pidoca

Postby Raymond » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:15 pm

You have brought up one of the problems you encountered in a gig. This is a sensitive issue and the rule of thumb is that you do not invite yourself or suggest to play unless somebody you know invites you. The same works viceversa....

The rule I follow, and that most people follow and show how professional you are, is that you do not get on stage unless you get invited by the person who plays the instrument you are going to play and/or the band leader tells you to do it. The person who invites you must know you and respect you to invite you. If you do not get invited, do not do it.

In my case, I hate when people you do not know them as a player invite themselves or request you to play your instrument. I nicely turn them away because if you put somebody that is not of your trust or of your band leader and he screws up on stage....you could lose your job big time. Inviting somebody on stage to play your instrument is an honor that is not given to somebody just like that. Its got to be of your trust.

Don't feel bad this happens a lot specially when bands from Puerto Rico go to the US....the local musicians tend to want to get on stage without getting invited or people who are in the public who dare to want to get your instrument....and that is a no no...

My five cents about this!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:30 pm

This is a true story.....I had gotten a gig by "tryout" with Rene Grand y Su Combo...Rene played piano and was the leader of this cool Latin band.... well on one of the gigs that he called me to do, his conga drummer, (that I met briefly, and who didn't like me), called Rene over on a break, pulled out a knife stuck it to Rene's throat and told him he wanted his gig back, I swear this is true....well u know that was my last night with Rene,and he hired his old conga drummer back into the band....that's some New York shit for ya.....I got a bunch of stories i could tell you or anybody else from NY, that has gone thru some stuff with musicians and non-musicians......Oh those were the days my friends!.....hahahaha...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... d_101b.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:31 am

Yo JC! Bro, that's some serious mental anguish causing stuff dude! Yeah! He'd of gotten his job back alright!

I always have this thought when people come up to ask if they can sit in, "what, I'm not doing a good enough job for ya'?" I mean, I know that the "element" must be perfect for them to feel that the "groove" that is coming from the band is inspirational enough to prompt them to ask to play, but just take another moment to think about the fact that "you" (the conguero), are part of that “Inspirational, polyrhythmic conglomeration of multi-reverberational sensory stimuli” in other words, you are the "Groove Merchant" and if you give up your throne, it's most likely that part of the groove goes with ya'! Oh well! Just fueling the fire!

Suave!
Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby franc » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:56 am

guys,
100% with what raymond stated. you must have respect for the audience, the director and your job as a musicians, not mentioning repect for your instrument. is of bad taste intruding . as i am concern i have to know that person well enough and have the approval of the director. don't want to mess up the gig and performance. here in puerto rico there are many especific bar restaurants which any one can participate with the band. it can be singing or playing an instruments. we call it ''BOHEMIAS'' it is slowly gaining popularity here . In''BOHEMIAS'' is permited if you want. to borrow your instrument. since the the bar owner usually have all the instruments. áche to all!!! que viva la rumba!!!! felicidades a todos en el forum!!! franc :D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Charangaman » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:34 pm

onile wrote:“Inspirational, polyrhythmic conglomeration of multi-reverberational sensory stimuli” in other words, you are the "Groove Merchant"

:laugh: What a great description! BIG UP
Charangaman

Postby onile » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:46 am

Alafia Abure Charangaman!
I hope that you are well my brother!

Yeah! I have my "polysyllabic" moments from time-to-time! :) :p :D

Stay Cool my brother!
Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Previous

Return to Open Discussion