Some pics from Annual RICO FESTIVAL - Sydney Australia

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:29 pm

Twin sisters and friends of the band...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... CN2353.JPG
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:32 pm

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:34 pm

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:34 pm

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:39 pm

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:42 pm

Had a great time, hope you enjoyed the pics! :)

Marcelo "Malanga"

Edited By ABAKUA on 1134917943
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby onile » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:46 pm

Chacho! El ambiente esta caliente!
Great Pics Abakua!
So let me ask you, are you guys doing originals or a combination of covertunes and orginals? Either way, la gente se lo esta comiendo to'! Pa'lante mi pana!

Suave!
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1134924452
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Cuidado » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:00 pm

Hi all,
Yes ABakua Great pics.
It's always a pleasure to see the photos.
You are always playing, it would be nice. Hermano de las congas.
Hasta pronto y mucha suerte por tus conciertos. :D
Cuidado

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:11 am

onile wrote:Chacho! El ambiente esta caliente!
Great Pics Abakua!
So let me ask you, are you guys doing originals or a combination of covertunes and orginals? Either way, la gente se lo esta comiendo to'! Pa'lante mi pana!

Suave!
Onile!

Alafia T.

It was caliente all right!! We have just entered summer here at the moment and its sweltering lately!
The crowd loved it, we have a loyal backing here also, so we always get a large group of regulars turning up to our gigs, its great, very family sorta feel! hehehe. Also, the band, are all best friends, each member a virtuoso in his own instrument, we were all close friends for many many years even before joining the band, slowly over time, a position would become vacant in the band and one of us would take up the position. We all hang out together when not rehearsing/gigging/writting new material.
We ususally do 2 rehearsals a week, from 10am till 4 or 5pm.
Over the years this band has gone from traditional salsa covers to Timba covers to Timba originals and now the new direction of the band is its own sound and all original material.

With this band it is all 100% original material and arrangements.
The lead singer/rapper is the one you've heard on the Pepsi thing. :;):

We have recently finished recording our 2nd album, we are currently in negotiations/shopping with a few organisations for distribution. Will make sure you get a copy once all produced etc.

Its a fusion of hip hop, reggae, ska, timba, funk, rock elements, traditional afro cuban elements, and jazz. Very groovy stuff, very original sound, sometimes described by our audiences as a cross between Orishas, Ozomatli, NG La Banda, Quincy Jones, and Irakere amongst others.

Hi all,
Yes ABakua Great pics.
It's always a pleasure to see the photos.
You are always playing, it would be nice. Hermano de las congas.
Hasta pronto y mucha suerte por tus conciertos. :D

Hey Cuidado!

Thanks for the kind words and well wishes. :)
Im glad you enjoy the pics.
Thankfully I am constantly gigging, if not with this group, it is with my Timba band, or other side projects and freelance work I can get.
Positive spirit, lots of rehearsal, a killer rythme section and very tight arrangements has built us up a reputation here and we are very much in demand, if all goes well, next year will be a big year for us with alot happening. :;):

Edited By ABAKUA on 1134976541
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby pidoca » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:37 am

Hey Marcelo. Great pics. Good to see you out and about. Can you shoot me off an email when you are playing so that I can come and watch.

Bless Ya
pidoca
pidoca

Postby onile » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:36 pm

Alafia Ni "Malanga"!
¡Espero que todo este bien contigo mi pana!
¡Felices pascuas y prospero año nuevo!

Yo! It sounds like the group is quite jelled, meaning that you have all learned each others musical nuances that playing together is like many little parts of a great organism moving together in a cacophony of musical genius! ¡Es que suenan cabrones mi pana! :cool:

You Go Boy! :laugh:

Great Job Abakua!

Suave!
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1135014881
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:04 am

Hey Pidoca!
No worries dude, I will either text you or email you with the details.
Oh, just remembered, the first week of the new year we will be performing at The Basement, its expected to be another sell out gig, so let me know if you would like me to place your name on my guest list. If you want to have a table and have dinner there also, you will need to ring the club to make arrangements though. Its on Sat 7th Jan, taken from The Basement's wewbsite:
From the motherhood of Cuban Rumba comes the childhood of today's music Son Veneno. This band of young musicians with Latin American origins is on a life long journey spreading the joy of their party wherever they go. Joined by the amazing vocal talents of Maya Jupiter, polish your dancing shoes for an evening of AfroCubanHiphop beats.

For Dinner & Show Deals and further information:

Call the Basement Box Office on (612) 9251 2797 (Mon - Fri 10 am – 5:30 pm)

Dinner and Show packages with seating are only available by phone.

A booking fee applies to all advance tickets. [All quoted prices include tax].

Restaurant Opening times: Mon to Fri: Lunch from midday to 3.00 pm, Dinner from 7.30 pm. Sat & Sun: Dinner from 7.30 pm

Bistro: Open ‘til late for the best light meals, late night suppers and coffees in town.

Happy Hours: 4.30 pm to 6.30 pm, Mon to Fri.

Dress: Smart/Casual at Manager’s discretion.

Cheers Richard, take care.

Alafia Tony!
Thanks for the well wishes mi pana.
Sure bro, its with no ego that I say the band is so frigin tight! It sounds fantastic.
We know each other so well musically we can anticipate each others movements and thoughts! hehehe. Alot of rehearsal and dedication, mutual respect and positivity has goteen us to where we are at the moment, the future lies ahead of us now, its time to take the bull by the horns so to speak!
I will get you a copy of the fresh CD as soon as we get the production finished.

Well wishes to all. :D
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Open Discussion