A cautionary tale - Or, why I'm never drinking again...

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Charangaman » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:42 am

Greetings and a happy new year to one and all..

At our staff christmass party I became very drunk.. I danced with the ladies and was having a good time.. Evidently one guy took exception to my cavorting and when I sat down to rest, the jealous fool began insulting me.. I am a peaceful man and tried to reason with him, for ten minutes or more..

But he had no reason and only became more insulting and then menacing, threatening me with violence.. I'm ashamed to say that finally I had no recourse but to punch him in the face.. I was forcibly ejected from the premises and in an act of complete drunken idiocy & frustration - I started punching a brick wall... Resulting in badly bruised/strained hands which have been unable to touch drums for three weeks... Extremely upsetting on all fronts..
Charangaman

Postby windhorse » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Bummer,
But just imagine what would have happened to you if your fists had pounded his face rather than the wall...
Instead of your hands it would have been your life that was bruised.

I'm with you though!
Drunkeness is no good - ever.
windhorse

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:38 pm

Well Charangaman ..I hope the hand "down the road" doesn't bother you. I had an incident about 5 years ago and just found out recently that I have "bone chip" in my second knuckle of my right hand and now is slightly affecting my technique and form of my right hand...it doesnt hurt when i play but my middle finger doesn't straighten out like the rest...I play with NO pain whatso ever it's just a bit of age (i'm 57) now, and a bit of arthritis...... ??? But the Beat goes on!....."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby captainquinto » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:30 pm

OUCH !! Always drink with LARGE, protective friends! :D

Hope it all heals up in time ...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... runken.jpg
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
captainquinto

Postby CUBOP IN CALI » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:54 am

I Feel for ya , When I saw this post I thought I wrote it . I just had the cast taken off my right had , about 2 weeks ago I broke my pinky finger and have been trying to play and it's painful . I too was drunk and punched a wall I didnt know it was broke until my had turned black , not black & blue. I only blame myself and missed playing and its taking time to get back to enjoying playing. A lesson learned for me.

Take care and re-hab fast.

Cubop
CUBOP IN CALI

Postby onile » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:17 am

Alafia Abure Charangaman!
I feel bad that you will be on leave from the drum for awhile, but you'll be back and with a vengance brotherlito!

You know, I did the exact same thing once when I was drunk, only difference is....I was 13yrs. old, hangin' out on the streets, and trying to impress the gang. What I did was punch a tree, several times (the trick however was....I opened my hand and pulled it back each time fast enough to make them think that I had punched it with my fist :p :D :laugh: )

I survived and gained some respect from da'gang at the same time! Hey, when you've put away a 40oz of "Ol'English 800" (that stuff was killer), at the age of 13, and smoked a bit of ganja, you do some crazy shyt!

I hope that you have a speedy recovery brothelito!

Much Love, Respect and Peace to you!

Onile!

Edited By onile on 1136341242
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Charangaman » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:34 am

Brothers, I am most grateful for the support and wisdom..

The good news is I figure I'm about five days away from some light toques..

It's been my longest break from the Congas since I started & it really makes me appreciate what they have given me... I hope I'm never apart from them for so long again..

Love, peace, respect and blessings to you all in 2006!
Charangaman

Postby SkinDeep » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:36 pm

dip them bad boys in some epsom salt and water, it'll relax that muscle.
next time hit that MOTHER------ with an old set of bongos or something!!!:D
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby rumbaman » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:57 pm

Hey gentelman all my blessings for the new year . Charangaman im sorry to hear your hands are busted up . I personally do'nt like violence but sometimes other people get out of hand . Bro i feel for you 'cause i've been there done that . It really sucks to have to go through that on your night of having fun . Let your hands rest as long as you have to b'cause if you do'nt it will bother you for a real long time . Thats all soft tissue trauma and it takes a long time to heal .Hope you feel better .

your partner my friend , rumbaman :D
rumbaman

Return to Open Discussion