Clinica de Percusión (Guaguancó) Habana and Matanz

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Derbeno » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:06 pm

Just found this little gem, don't know who he is but a tremendous teacher.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QBNFrwwafY

Of course you do know that you can down load youtube vids to your hard disk using http://www.youtubex.com/

Edited By Derbeno on 1184414887
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby yambu321 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:12 pm

:cool:

Edited By yambu321 on 1196047567
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby Chapo » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:00 pm

Outstanding! Very clear & easy to understand. I will definintely copy this to disk. Thank you very much for posting this Deberno. BTW, from your youtube vids you seem to be a pretty good teacher yourself. It's too bad I live in North Florida.

Thanks
Luis
Chapo

Postby Derbeno » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:06 pm

yambu321 wrote:DERBENO, HOW IT GOING? I AM ALSO IN SAN DIEGO, AND INTO FOLKLORIC RUMBA.

I sent you a PM before re Voz Alta on Thursdays, I just sent you another. Not sure if PM is working ok.
Derbeno

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:54 pm

From the video I see it's taking place in Madrid from the sign behind him and this cat is just one of the many Cuban ex-patriots living in Europe...interesting..i play guaguanco at least 4 or 5 different ways , Havana Matanzas and NY....styles....
these are the ones I teach

"rock and roll" guaguanco
commercial guaguanco
Havana guaguanco
Matanzas guaguanco
and MY guaguancos.....variations....

but to learn these you would have to study with me....once again I am offering my "Conga Intensive/Camp" to anyone that may be interested...YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO TO CUBA TO LEARN!....we have many qualified cats right here in the states that can teach you....ps if it means anything to you , I am of Cuban descent, just not born there..."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragenca » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:59 pm

The presenter have good conversational skills in the presentation,well sound in the performing,..but as I said before, there were more than one approach and styles of Guaguanco in Habana,(the people of, Jesus Maria,Los Sitios,Belen,and Atare,(neighborhood),have diffent approaches in relation to the Salidor and Quinto,also there were differents approaches in relation to the etnic/background..the Arara/Approach,the Carabaly/Approach,the Bantu/Approach,and later the Approach with Yorubas influences…The differents approaches in relation to the Clave,(he only showed one)…The placing of syncopation and contrasyncopation, (in relation of the Salidor),…The displacing of the parameters of the musical phrase in relation to the Clave,(something that few,few rumberos dominate),..The articulation of Terciary metric in relation to the Clave,and later to the Salidor ,(back and forth), holding that articulation to the center of the Salidor,or to the right,or to the left..Development of the Mano Secreta articulation applied to the Guaguanco.etc.etc,These are things which are missing from many rumberos because they weren’t observing the ‘Die Hard Rumberos’ which are the creators of all these percutives articulation.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:06 pm

DR. Z can u explain this a bit more simpler for our "novice" drummers here.....Thank you/Gracias..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragenca » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:18 pm

It is difficult to understand it with words,and even when you do it in front of the students,it take time for the brain to process the information before providing the right reflex….I’m going to try to do a digital video so it could be observed more clear,thanks JC…..Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Postby CongaTick » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:18 pm

Dr.

I think we would all like to see "an authority" such as yourself play.
CongaTick

Postby Tonio » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:43 am

Derbeno wrote:
yambu321 wrote:DERBENO, HOW IT GOING? I AM ALSO IN SAN DIEGO, AND INTO FOLKLORIC RUMBA.

I sent you a PM before re Voz Alta on Thursdays, I just sent you another. Not sure if PM is working ok.

Derbeno, Charlie, check out my thread here

http://www.congaplace.com/cgi-bin....;t=3150

T
Tonio

Postby afrocubarico » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:24 am

Derbeno,
It's funny, I had just ran into this video on YouTube yesterday while I was checking out the latest videos posted by La Mole. I think the instructional format was pretty good, especially for someone who's been wanting to learn the basic Guaguanco pattern. I had been wanting to learn the Matanzas Guaguanco (cuz it sounds so damn good!) and this video does a pretty good job in teaching it. I never heard of this guy before but I give him "props" for this video.

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby TONE74 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:51 pm

I broke down the Matanza pattern like this. Correct me if Im wrong.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... an0001.jpg
TONE74

Postby Derbeno » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:10 am

Thanks for breaking it down Tonio it helped me to sort it out completely. In saying so what do you think of the 12th note with the right hand that you got down as OS?
It looks like a Tip or even more so a Ghost to me.
I tried all three and the Ghost gives it a great feel
¿Que piensas?
I assume for 'H' you mean 'Base' hehehe :D
Derbeno

Postby TONE74 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:25 am

Yeah it probably should be but I wasnt sure,thats why I decided to post it so people could pick at it. Since the other side is usually balanced with the first a tip would fit perfect a ghost is usually used when other instruments have some play at that spot or to give it feel. Im going to listen to some rumba cd and see if I can catch something to make some adjustments. I wrote H but I meant bass since I see it written this way everywhere I look. Thanks for catching that. Peace
TONE74

Postby TONE74 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:51 am

Yeah the ghost gave it that anticipation that you feel before the 3rd open tone. That slap was completely out of place :O my bad.
TONE74

Next

Return to Open Discussion