ABAKUA Lesson Review

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

ABAKUA Lesson Review

Postby TobyLB » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:19 am

On a recent, self funded study trip I had the opportunity to learn and play with a conguero named Marcelo aka. ABAKUA.

It was a privilege to learn from a percussionist who had quite obviously spent untallied hours perfecting his approach and technique as well as his style of teaching.

As the student, I walked into the lesson with a thought out plan of what I wished to achieve; in the lesson and on the stage; this was no problem. In the past years of playing I have concentrated on fine tuning my technique and making sure that I am happy with the standard of my technique. My first goal was to be pushed even further in that area. In accordance Marcelo began to show me what it was that I was about to play and then after achieving a certain comfort level; how to use this new feature within the playing/performance situation. With every question I had, there followed an answer. With any weakness I presented (and was not able to detect) I was brought up on it and in turn, with my strengths came praise.

As well as technique and then later, some traditional patterns; Marcelo would step in every so often with a little history lesson on why we play this and how it should be felt. It was this that I found the most interesting. Whilst the playing is important, the history and the answers to the question…Why? is just as important (I feel anyway).

I found the lesson very rewarding and I plan on taking another trip up in the next few moths. Until then…I have some work to do.
TobyLB

Re: ABAKUA Lesson Review

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:18 am

Hello Toby!
Thankyou for your kind words, Im happy to hear you are putting the session into practise.
I noticed you've created a new account on congaplace, are you having issues with your old account?

Im glad you enjoyed your lesson brother, keep me posted with your development and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

For those who dont know, Toby lives in a southern state of Australia, he recently flew to Sydney (where Im based) and took a 3.5 hour lesson with me. Toby is a very dedicated player and clearly demonstrates ability to learn, capture and understand. Keep at it Toby! hope to see you again soon for another session.

Marcelo.

In the meantime, heres a pic of that skin you loved so much during our lesson!
Attachments
IMG_1241.JPG
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Re: ABAKUA Lesson Review

Postby TobyLB » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:03 am

Hello ABAKUA,

I have been working on the exercises everyday (or as close to that as possible) and it's going well. I have to quite particular about technique so there are fluctuations in tempo whilst practicing but it's all done on purpose. There is more to be done though! I have also been playing the rhythms that you gave me, making them my own and playing them at gigs and rehearsals when i feel they would compliment the music and they sound great.

No problems with the last account. I was having trouble documenting my login in details so i decided to make a new account and properly document all the info so i could easily log in when I wanted to.

Thank you for your words, describing me one your post, I do appreciate it.

Thanks man.

I'll be in touch.

Toby
TobyLB

Return to Open Discussion