"Explorations in Afro-Cuban Dance & Drum" 2009

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

"Explorations in Afro-Cuban Dance & Drum" 2009

Postby davidpenalosa » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:47 am

From Howie Kaufman:

Hello Afro-Cuban Enthusiasts,
I am pleased to announce that the "Explorations in Afro-Cuban Dance & Drum" 2009 website has been updated recently.
Please visit http://www.humboldt.edu/afrocuban for the latest details. Please forward this to any friends you think would be interested.
Highlights this year include:
1) An extra drum instructional strand during the afternoon dance class with John Santos and Jesus Diaz. John will be giving three lectures examining the tumbadora’s path and evolution, including listening examples of rare recordings and conceptual, and technical aspects of the instrument and its related rhythms. Jesus Diaz will instruct a hands-on rhythm section ensemble class for timbales, drum set, congas, and other percussion instruments used in modern Cuban music. Both classes will be open to all levels.
2) Roman Diaz, drummer for Yoruba Andabo, Raices Profundas, and Pancho Quinto, will be joining us for the first time this year. I have scheduled Roman to teach advanced classes on Abacua, Conga de Comparsa, and Rumba (Yoruba Andabo style) and Batá.
3) Sandy Pérez (Grupo Afro-Cuba) and Toto Beriel (Los Muñequitos) will bring the Matanzas drumming and singing styles to the forefront. Sandy will teach advanced classes on Bata Rumba and Olokun drumming. Toto will teach classes on Rumba and Bembe.
4) The legendary Francisco Aguabella, one of the last remaining drummers from his generation, will again inspire all of us with his power and strength on the drum. He will be teaching Intermediate and Advanced Batá, and Comparsa,
5) The legendary Lazaro Galarraga will once again lead our song classes and also teach some advanced Batá classes.
6) Reynaldo Gonzalez (Grupo Afro-Cuba) and Freila Merencio (Raices Profundas, Yoruba Andabo) will be teaching dance twice per day and leading students in a performance of Comparsa for the final show. Rey’s energy keeps the evening parties going with his singing and dancing. Freila and Rey will again co-teach a rumba dance class on the first weekend and Freila will teach popular dance on a couple of evenings.
7) Michael Spiro will breakdown the guaguanco with exercises and lessons on the unique phrasing and style of playing Cuba’s most popular rhythm.
8) We have also added a beginning dance class, which will breakdown the primary movements for the different Orishas. This will be a great class for those of us who do not Orisha dance regularly, or for those dancers who want a foundation class to build from.
I could go on, but I encourage you to check out the website. I must mention that our evening Rumba parties have become legendary. With the 2009 All-Star Faculty listed above, I know that this summer will be nothing short of amazing.
Thanks for your attention! Hope to see you this summer!
Howie Kaufman
Founder and Coordinator of the
Explorations in Afro-Cuban Dance and Drum Program
Humboldt State University
davidpenalosa

Re: "Explorations in Afro-Cuban Dance & Drum" 2009

Postby niallgregory » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:24 pm

That is a truly stunning line up .You are truly lucky people to have this going on over there .I would love to go .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby ABAKUA » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:08 pm

Man, wish I was there. :(

David, is there any footage from past years I could purchase or see somehow? I sadly will see another year of me not being able to attend. :cry:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby tamboricua » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:38 pm

ABAKUA wrote:Man, wish I was there. :(

David, is there any footage from past years I could purchase or see somehow? I sadly will see another year of me not being able to attend. :cry:

Abakua,

Check out this clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPJLRWMjlBI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjVr5DRvAig

Hope this helps,

JG
tamboricua

Postby ABAKUA » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:04 pm

It helps, gracias!
But Id love to own a dvd or vhs with a few hours of footage!
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby davidpenalosa » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:12 pm

Thanks for linking to that video of the annual beach party. I wish though, it had less cutting so you could watch the musicians. Abakua, I don't have access to any of these type of party videos, but I know that some years the faculty performance has been videod. I'll be playing bata with the Director tonight and I'll ask him if I can get a copy of a performance, if that's something you'd like.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby windhorse » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:57 pm

I'm in this year! Just sent the check a few days ago!
I'll be driving across Utah, Nevada, and CA and up the coast once again. :D
windhorse

Postby taikonoatama » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:08 pm

All signed up!

James
taikonoatama

Postby windhorse » Sat May 16, 2009 2:13 pm

Here's another little vid clip taken from last year's final party:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXAnVmRBJlo&NR=1
The T-shirt Francisco is wearing on the left is last year's workshop T. If anyone finds a vid with Lazaro Galleraga singing,, send it my way please! I love the way he sings!
I'm so looking forward to this year's camp!
Dave
windhorse

Postby windhorse » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:42 pm

James and Giordie, Are we setting up a rumba - Congaplace friends thing for a park endeavor Pre-AfroCuban camp thingy?
hint hint.. :lol:

Guys, I'm going to do a podcast blog this year of the camp for grins.. Probably in the Drummer's Diary thread.. :o
One interesting thing that is already happening is that I'm delivering Jame's drums he bought a few months back here, and picking up my Isla bata set when I get to San Fran.. A road trip drum trade-off!
And on a more somber note, Francisco A. isn't in this year's line-up.. Workshop participants were just informed of that a few days ago. No I don't know why, but since he's in his 80s I don't really need to ask.
But, the good news is our own Dave Peñalosa IS in the line-up! :)
windhorse

Postby davidpenalosa » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:22 am

Well, thanks Dave! I know it's not just compensation. Still, I expect it will be another great year! A podcast? Is that for real? You mean, people will be able to listen online to our rumba parties? That sounds very cool.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby ABAKUA » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:33 am

Maybe 2010 will be my year... :cry:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby windhorse » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:17 pm

davidpenalosa wrote:A podcast? Is that for real? You mean, people will be able to listen online to our rumba parties? That sounds very cool.
-David

Yeah, thanks Dave! It'll just be verbal - audio, blogging.. It's not like I'll have the entire party recorded. Maybe just little sections here and there. I'd like to interview different people and record cool rhythms, and players. Maybe I'll do a sample blog with Jeff while he's here, so you guys can see how it works before I go on the big road trip to Arcata. It'll take me almost a month for the whole thing. I'd like to ask Howie and Ward first just to be proper.. :oops:
I've already been doing some podcasting for my students next year. They're Science topics on my home page. http://mrcrowder.us
windhorse

Postby windhorse » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:24 pm

ABAKUA wrote:Maybe 2010 will be my year... :cry:

Yeah Marcelo! I hope so! :D
windhorse

Postby davidpenalosa » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:00 pm

Hi,
I’m forwarding a message from the Director of the annual Afro-Cuban workshop held in Arcata, California.

Hello Afro-Cuban Enthusiasts,

The Explorations in Afro-Cuban Dance and Drum (ACDD) Workshops, July 25 – August 1, 2009 at Humboldt State University in Arcata, California is still accepting registrations.
Here is the latest update.

Once again, members of the Afro-Cuban community from various parts of the country are coming to be apart of this years’ event. We have participants from Germany, Panama, New York, New Jersey, Florida, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Hawaii, and of course California.

Some highlights about this year are the coupling of Sandy Perez (Grupo Afro-Cuba) and Toto Berriel (Los Munequitios), who were childhood friends, and played together in “Los Yumurinos” when they were teenagers. Accompanying dancer/singer Reynaldo Gonzalez (Grupo Afro-Cuba), these dance classes will be extremely fun to observe and participate in. Toto was a big hit last year. He brought great energy and enthusiasm to his classes and at the parties. A wonderful singer and drummer.

Lazaro Galarraga will be bringing a new folkloric cd to camp and he will be teaching many of the songs from that cd. So students will be able to leave with a studio recording in one hand and song sheets with the words in the other. He will also be teaching a number of bata classes for both intermediate and advanced students. In these classes he does an excellent job displaying subtle nuances in the enu hand.

We are pleased to be bringing Roman Díaz (Yoruba Andabo, Raices Profundas, Pancho Quinto), to camp for the first time. Check out you tube for a number of videos featuring Roman. We are excited to learn from him some funky rumba grooves, abacua, and more. He will also be teaching intermediate and advanced bata classes, and he will be lead accompanist for Freila Merencio’s (Raices Profundas, Yoruba Andabo) dance classes each day.

This year we have added an additional drum strand featuring lecture classes on the history of the tumbadora by John Santos and popular grooves for drum set, congas, and timbales by Jesus Diaz. Michael Spiro is also back teaching classes on guaguanco and more.

Unfortunately, Francisco Aguabella is unavailable this year. We will miss him.

Last but not least, our nightly house parties/rumbas will once again bring faculty and participants together, playing, singing and dancing into the night. For a taste, go to these links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtLuIuDF ... AE&index=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPJLRWMj ... re=related

I hope to see you in Humboldt.

Howie Kaufman
Founder and Coordinator of the
Explorations in Afro-Cuban Dance and Drum Program
Humboldt State University
davidpenalosa

Return to Open Discussion