How to Price a Used conga drum

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

How to Price a Used conga drum

Postby Anonimo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:39 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Last edited by Anonimo on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Anonimo

Re: How to Price a Used conga drum

Postby congamyk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:38 pm

leedy2 wrote:5) Skin's: Check for egging on top of drum

I wish I would have read this before buying this drum :lol:
egg conga.JPG
egg conga.JPG (50.93 KiB) Viewed 4268 times
congamyk

Postby onile » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:32 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D

That's Hilarious! LMFAO!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Anonimo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:42 pm

Anonimo

Postby pcastag » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:57 am

My old sonocs were perfectly round when I got them, I plan to keep them that way!
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Jerry Bembe » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:56 am

Mule skins have the same impact as a thick skin?

Jay, Matthew and JCR are entitled to their money for their work. You get what you pay for (usually) :roll: . I perform most of my repairs myself. This forum has been an excellent resource for ideas and I am grateful.

leedy2 wrote:O it very funny indeed very Hilarious specially when Jay,Matthew, J.C.R and all that do repairs on drums Rapes your pockets for repair that should have never been. Specially when they have to steam your drum to bring back to shape and put supports in drums :lol: :lol:

Companys known for warping or egg shaping from bad tuning and thick heads.
#1 Gom bops
2) Valje older models
3) Old junior model (wine Barrels)
4) timba Ismael
5) Many of the old Cuban drums
6) Pan con Queso
Plus a few more out there caused by bad tuning and thick heads :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jerry Bembe

Postby Anonimo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:17 am

Anonimo

Postby Jerry Bembe » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:54 pm

3rd stone from the sun is earth. I am a Hendrix fan.

I do not have all of the skills you listed but the Conga Dr (Tony) has many great ideas for how to repair congas. I do not have the tools for steaming but epoxy, ropes, straps and wood filler are great for many repairs. (Not all repairs)

If a person gets a used conga that needs work at a low price, I recommend to give restoration a try. It is not rocket science and can be rewarding but not for everyone.

I like to think that restoring old instruments as working with experienced tools that would end up in the dumpster if new life is not worked back into them.

I love Gon Bops but I am not afraid to roll my sleeves up and work these relics. It is like a girlfriend that needs a lot of attention. You get what you give.

leedy2 wrote:
Jerry Bembe wrote:Mule skins have the same impact as a thick skin?

Jay, Matthew and JCR are entitled to their money for their work. You get what you pay for (usually) :roll: . I perform most of my repairs myself. This forum has been an excellent resource for ideas and I am grateful.

leedy2 wrote:O it very funny indeed very Hilarious specially when Jay,Matthew, J.C.R and all that do repairs on drums Rapes your pockets for repair that should have never been. Specially when they have to steam your drum to bring back to shape and put supports in drums :lol: :lol:

Companys known for warping or egg shaping from bad tuning and thick heads.
#1 Gom bops
2) Valje older models
3) Old junior model (wine Barrels)
4) timba Ismael
5) Many of the old Cuban drums
6) Pan con Queso
Plus a few more out there caused by bad tuning and thick heads :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jerry you are still living 3rd Stone From the Sun ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mule skins do not have this affect on a drums what causes this to a drum is bad tuning and any thick head , it can be cow hide or even water buffalo when tuned un even the drums warp and become egg shape. Mule skin are just hard on your hands because they have no flex ability in there texture
As to Jay, Matthew sure they are in titled to there money no one is questioning that you do work you get paid , But when you spend $300 on a drum you should not have to spend another $400.00 or more to get it into shape, that's ridiculous . The most you should have to spend on a used drum is $50.00 and that for a skin and that is if it is damaged. You may be among the very few that knows how to repair a crack ,steam a drum to get a warp out of it or even change a skin . Many do not and have to take drums to Matthew , Jay or Cali yet they call them self's Masters of the drum. Fig that out
Jerry Bembe

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:24 pm

I love Gon Bops but I am not afraid to roll my sleeves up and work these relics. It is like a girlfriend that needs a lot of attention. You get what you give.

Now I like THAT one - because it is more than true!
And that truel love might last forever, well at least many years :wink:
Peace & drum
Mike

Return to Open Discussion