DW~PRACTICE CONGA `DANNY REYES`Advice please...

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

DW~PRACTICE CONGA `DANNY REYES`Advice please...

Postby norskdrum » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi Everyone.. :D

I am thinking of buying the Ex- DW Drums I think Gon-Bops have taken it over from DW? PRACTICE Conga/Timbales/Bell `DANNY REYES`

I actually found one here in Norway at a good price... even compared to UK & US prices ,which is unusual..as Norway is in the top three most expensive places in the world to live!I thought I could use it to practice until both my room is refurbished and I am able to buy my Timbales e.t.c.

Maybe some of you have experience of this learning aid,The guys at DW Drums said although they no longer produce it..they think it is worth finding one?

all the best Steve :mrgreen:
norskdrum

Re: DW~PRACTICE CONGA `DANNY REYES`Advice please...

Postby Jerry Bembe » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:08 pm

Yes this is an excellent drum (10") paired with the Pearl Travel Congas (11", 11 3/4" & 12 1/2"). The Reyes DW/Gon Bops drum is an excellent quinto/requinto. The Reyes model has cut that the Travel Congas lack but Reyes Drum does not have the tonal body of the Pearl Travel. (This is understanable with a 10" head.)

The Reyes' tone can be improved. Improvements I made include;

Dampening the Fiberskyn head to lessen the plastic tone to more of that calf tone.

Lining the interior of the drum with wood paneling. The open design does not aid as a resonator and closing up the shell allows for that warmer tone that the Travel Congas have. I can post photos later if you like. I oiled the paneling with Tung oil after bending it inside the shell. (I soaked a paneling strip in the tub and bent it to fit inside the metal shell)

I lined the bottom of the drum with rubber. I found that the Reys and Travel Congas have better tone while on a towel. I attached round rubber padding to allow for this tonal improvement on a permanent basis.

I highly reccomend this drum with the Pearl Travel Congas. They are excellent for compact spaces but they are not a replacement for the real thing. They definately have value that exceed the mini congas on the market.
Jerry Bembe

Postby norskdrum » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:20 am

Hello
Many thanks for a really good reply...I am not sure I will be able to understake the improvements you made but as long as I can get some practice in on the DW Practice conga/Timbali I will be happy.also as the Reyes model is in itself quite expensive I do not think buying the pearl Travel congas is for me..as the combined price would buy me a fair set of |TImbales? not the best but a fair set if you follow my logic.

I would how ever really appreciate some pics of what you have done to see if I can do it..the towel of course is not an issue maybe the rubber and wood maybe.?

look forward to hearing from you
regards Steve :mrgreen:
norskdrum

Postby Jerry Bembe » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:44 pm

The Reyes model is a nice instrument and is a nice portable performing and practice aid. My comments about pairing this with the Pearl Travel Congas are only suggestions. I recommend you stick to your own plan. Most of my modifications also work well on the Pearl Practice Congas.

photo 1.JPG
Gon Bops Reyes Practice Conga

photo 2.JPG
Side View

photo 3.JPG
Bottom View

photo 4.JPG
Interior View

Beforehand, I purchased the Gon Bops Reyes Practice Conga, I had a set of Pearl Travel Congas. I was really impressed by the full tone of the Pearl Travel Congas. I tuned the Pearl set's Fiberskyn heads with duct tape to lessen the plastic overtones, oiled the interior of the wood shell with Tung oil and added rubber padding under the bases. I found the overall tone improved dramatically afterwards with a fuller warmer tonal body.

Afterwards due to my good experience with the Pearl Travel Congas, I found a Reyes Practice Conga on Ebay. I was impressed by the cutting tone but it lacked the overall tonal quality of the Pearl Travel Congas. To experiment I first used duct tape on the holes of the Reyes Practice Conga and put the drum on a towel with good results. Also, I noticed the tuning nuts were digging into the metal frame of the Reyes model. I found that when the holes of the Reyes model were covered the shell worked like a resonator like the Pearl Travel Congas.

I decided that I would like to make these modifications permanent and more visually appealing. (The duct tape on the outside looked like sh**) One thing that makes this process easier is the bottom of the Reyes model is easily removable due to a Velcro attachment.

I made the following modifications to the Reyes model with great success.
1) Tuned the Fiberskyn head to control overtones with duct tape on the interior side.
2) Closed the holes on the shell with wood paneling. I calculated the circumference by multiplying the diameter by 3.14. I accidentally cut it a little short but it worked out in the end (because I was able put a little short strip a filler). I soaked the paneling strip in my bathtub prior to bending it. I prestressed the paneling with a bending it every inch or so along the length of the piece. I fit the piece inside the shell. (The piece wants to open up but the metal shell keeps it in place with the tension between the two pieces) I also tung oil the wood later.
3) I added the rubber pad underneath the drum. I epoxy the pad on.
4) I added large washers between the tuning nuts and the metal frame. (I also used lithium grease for lubrication between the washer and nut as well on the threads)

Enjoy the drum.
Jerry Bembe

Postby norskdrum » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:07 pm

:D Hello
and many thanks indeed for the pics and the super advice really appreciate it!
best wishes Steve :mrgreen:
norskdrum

Return to Open Discussion