Launching Afro-Cuban Concert Series in L.A.

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Launching Afro-Cuban Concert Series in L.A.

Postby KidCuba » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:46 pm

Los Angeles for all of its positives regarding the variety of available live music, seems to only offer a handful of bands which are of the Afro-Cuban tradition. The bands we do have are great, but how many times can you listen to the same act over and over and over again?

My goal is to form a group aimed at bringing acts from out of town to L.A. and offer concerts in a safe, clean, quality venue at an affordable price point. I really this can be done, and help the music alive in L.A. - while making it grow. But who knows, maybe I'm some sort of myopic dreamer.

For example, I would love to bring Pedrito Martinez to L.A., and it can be done - but it takes money. Not a WHOLE lot, but some.

If your interested in working on this project, and can bring something to the table - contacts, web design skills, graphic design abilities, or hell, even cold-hard cash, contact me.

Bottom line, I am not looking to get rich doing this, but just want to feature quality bands, at a low price, and make enough money to bring another band in the near future.
Triple Pulse Conga Practice- http://www.larumbero.com
KidCuba

Re: Launching Afro-Cuban Concert Series in L.A.

Postby b0ng0 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:09 pm

Saludos,

I don't really have much to offer, but I am a percussionist,and also have a conguero, and piano player and a few other musicians that would be willing to help with this project. We live about 45mins from LA, if I can help in anyway, PM me....
b0ng0

Postby Mr. Conga » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:45 am

I would be willing to support you in the concerts kidcuba, and help out to bring a rumba, latin musci community closer in the Los Angeles area.

have you found a venue, where the concerts would be?

I use to help out in a series of mini cncerts for the community, for underground music, a few years back, i was the DJ, and also helped out in finding n getting new bands, and artist, to come do the concerts, for high school students, we would gather about 100 high school students. So i would help out manage the concerts, get new artist, call them, figure how much money they would take, and promote the event, prepare the youth because it was donation concerts, after the 100 yoth we gather, we would collect a donation, sometimes a minimum per person + the buying the cd's, to insentive the new artist, or bands..

i am willing to help out...let me know, or form a band...with local California residents...
Mr. Conga

Postby KidCuba » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:04 am

Man, I learned nothing is easy to do when it comes to the world of Afro-Cuban music.

From organizing a rumba to putting on a more formal concert.

I was looking at a venue in Downey, but I cannot even get the theater's directory to call me back.

Also, the cost involved was much more than I thought.

I was thinking about bringing out Pedrito Martinez's current group out, or John Santos, but their fair market value - which is reasonable - far superceed my bankroll for this.

Currently, I am launching into the world of corporate sponsorships - to see if I can get this thing going.

I'll keep you updated, unless you got $10,000 your willing to spare. :D
Triple Pulse Conga Practice- http://www.larumbero.com
KidCuba

Return to Open Discussion