Cuban music of today Versus Salsa of today

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Cuban music of today Versus Salsa of today

Postby Anonimo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:16 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Re: Cuban music of today Versus Salsa of today

Postby pcastag » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:50 pm

Just remember, pepople used to say the same things about be-bop and people like John Coltraine, people like the music, they like the sound, if they didn't those bands wouldn't have gigs. I personally like some of the stuff coming out of cuba today, not al of it, but bands like Manolito, Van Van ( although they've ben around a long time) Pupy, Azucar negra, those bands to me are making excellent music. Al lot of the rumba I like as well, yoruba andabo to me leads the pack in themodern rumba sound, but again, if you don't like it you don't, nobody's going to chage what they are playing because a bunch of people that used to dance at the palladium don't like what they're doing, they're playing music for their peers and their audience.

One thing constant in this world is change.
PC
pcastag

Postby jorge » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:10 pm

At least the younger generations in Cuba are PLAYING music, not just sampling, DJing and listening. Check out La Timba Encendida on YouTube and try to convince me that is noise. They have taken the rumba another step further.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BIS_hv-nt4
There is a group of younger rumberos in NYC called Caja Dura that also carrying on the NYC Central Park rumba.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKEsGzD0x6Q&feature=related
Hopefully we will continue to see young people learning to play instruments well and create new music rather than just play covers of the old stuff and dabble in playing congas, or worse just play the CDs or talk about rumba but mainly listen to hiphop and reggaeton mp3s.
jorge

Postby niallgregory » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:10 pm

whats the problem with rumba groups using Bata ? Its a great sound and a brilliant innovation by minini from afro cuba de mantanzas among others . The vast majority of the rumberos who are using bata in there music are omo ana anyway and have nothing but respect for the tradition and are obviously using aberikula bata and not fundamento so there is no problem . I lent my Bata the other day to the guy from chucho Valdes group , he played all 3 at once and sang also . An incredible player and very innovative , its called progress :shock:
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby jorge » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:13 pm

Who said there was a problem with using bata drums in rumba? From batarumba popularized by Afrocuba de Matanzas to the very different use of bata by Pancho Quinto, tumbador in Yoruba Andabo, to present day groups like Rumbata, Caja Dura, Yuba Ire, Los Muñequitos, and others, use of bata in rumba is alive and well.
jorge

Postby niallgregory » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:19 pm

He did . " Rumba back then was conducted with 3-4 drums and caja today they need Cajones mix with conga,bata, bongos and other stuff do you really need all of this ? And one other persons Quote,""To much noise and confusion of instruments that are not needed'' '' . The bata was used for religious ceremony's only ,today on any thing and every thing, what an embarrassing moment for the true religious Person. The youth is destroying tradition and we are letting them "
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:45 pm

Music from Cuban is rocking it today, from Giles Peterson's Havana Cultura band, to the albums from Anga and Cachaito and the recent 90 Miles jazz group. So much good new stuff coming from that island it's incredible. Sure it doesn't sound the same as music played 60 years ago... :roll: , why should it? Imagine if American Jazz still sounded like only jazz from the 50's.
Last edited by bongosnotbombs on Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bongosnotbombs

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:59 pm

Cuba has been under oppression for so long that they are looking and trying to get out so bad that they are creating sounds that some do not make sense.

Many people in my opinion do not understand what is going on in Cuban music and salsa

I dont think you are entirely being accurate and are making more of a personal statement, with some very big generalizations and assumptions.
Continuing here:
Rumba back then was conducted with 3-4 drums and caja today they need Cajones mix with conga,bata, bongos and other stuff do you really need all of this ? And one other persons Quote,""To much noise and confusion of instruments that are not needed'' '' . The bata was used for religious ceremony's only ,today on any thing and every thing, what an embarrassing moment for the true religious Person. The youth is destroying tradition and we are letting them.

Different branches of Rumba, do you believe Guaguanco, Yambu, Columbia to be the only form of Rumba? The branches of the Rumba tree are many.
Rumba back then

Back then? When is this is exactly? Seeing Rumba forms began on Cajones?
Because you see a video of someone playing bongo is a Rumba form, you automatically assume this is what is being done widespread thoughout the island?
Bata - in Religious vs. non Religious application, I am Omo Aña, and can tell you first hand you could not be more wrong. Youth is not destroying anything.
Aña has the highest respect and widely studied and performed. Fundamento drums are alive and well and have no signs of being lost anytime soon.
Aberikula drums are also used widespread in conjunction with non religious performance. There is a significant difference, I trust you at minimum understand this.
There are also Aberikula drums, made to appear like Aña, however used in contemporary styles.
The traditions are alive and doing very strongly.

As for the development, and history of Cuban popular forms leading through Son, Charanga, Changui, Songo, Mozambique, Latin/Afro Cuban Jazz, Fusion, etc their styles have continued to develop giving rise to the term 'Timba' which embraces all these styles, as the term 'Salsa' does to Son Montuno, Guaracha, etc etc..
Invented no, if you follow the timeline of the bands and study their repertoires and styles, you will find clear links in development through Arsenio, Conjunto Riverside, Rumbavana, Ritmo Oriental, Adalberto Alvarez y Su Son, Reve, Aragon, Los Van Van, Opus 13, Irakere, NG La Banda, Dan Den and all the newer groups which have risen from there including Pupy Y Los Que Son Son, Azucar Negra, Bamboleo, Havana D'Primera, Klimax, Manolito y Su Trabuco, Elito Reve, and countless others.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby onile » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:46 am

Abakua!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dees ees ammmaseeng! Ju meen tu told me dees ees no tru? Bah how con eet bee?
Eees no like ju ben tu Cuba lately an can tell dees tu bee tru. I am behine myself in pleashure to heer from ju my fren agen!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Anonimo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:37 pm

Anonimo

Postby jorge » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:50 am

Nice choices, Leedy2. The rumba de cajon with just 2 cajones, notice the singer always had space to be heard even with no mic, sabroso. The all star rumba had the potential to be a mess of egos clashing, but they played with restraint and the 4 quinto players traded off without clashing. The younger generations have lots of energy but some need to learn this discipline of less is more. Even so, there is room for modern rumba like Yoruba Andabo, Rapsodia Rumbera, Rumberos de Cuba. Some progress is good.
jorge

Postby Anonimo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:03 am

Anonimo

Return to Open Discussion