Traditional Rhythms versus new Rhythms

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Traditional Rhythms versus new Rhythms

Postby Anonimo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:56 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Re: Traditional Rhythms versus new Rhythms

Postby Quinto Governor II » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:39 pm

I don't think anything can be done or even that anything should be. Just a matter of the old giving way to the new. Musical traditions have a better chance of surviving in Cuba than here in the states. You very seldom, if ever see old and young musicians performing together here, except at an awards show. In Cuba the old rumbero's and the young play together. It appears to me that the elders embrace the youth and their ways of playing. One of Cuba's musical legacies is innovation. I would not expect anything different from them.
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby Anonimo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:22 am

Last edited by Anonimo on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonimo

Postby pavloconga » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:55 am

Hi Leedy2,
As a matter of personal taste I tend to agree with you - I like the beautiful, pure strength and melody of those rhythms (e.g. Guaguanco, Columbia, Yambu as well as many African rhythms) played with just the essential instruments to create the rhythm in full.

However, whether we like it or not, musicians all over the world are taking the rhythms and changing them, turning them into something else. It's always going to happen because music is not static. Is the music improved better for it? Sometimes yes, sometimes no ... and it's also a matter of taste. And it depends who is playing. We all know what we like. I am sure that new rhythmic traditions will be created in the long term. New rhythms. New music. Perhaps in 100 years time those Cuban rhythms will be just a memory. Who knows?

In my travels in Ghana, West Africa to the same village over 8 years, I saw many changes in instrumentation and phrasing. This is because there is always a new crop of young musicians coming up and they think what the older musicians are playing is 'old style' , so they want to create their own style. For example, when I first went there 14 years ago they almost never played the djembe (it is not from the Ga people's culture). I think the djembe is there to stay now in Ghana, and future new and young musicians will inevitably incorporate their own ideas and innovations to the music.

The world has changed, is changing, and where music is concerned it's not always for the better. But look at some of the young guys in Cuba, like Adonis Panter Calderon and Barbarito Calderon (who I met in Cuba). They are doing amazing things on the drums, creating innovations with great taste and taking things to a new level.
Look them up on YouTube.
pavloconga

Postby Jerry Bembe » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:01 am

The older players need to teach the younger players what they know. Nothing is accomplished by complaining about it. I understand your concern about respect but respect is a two way street. Both young and old need to show respect for this to be a working relationship.

Also an older musician can't be complaining about the $$$ and then complain that none of the younger players want to learn from them. Most young players do not have he $$$ to spend.

In the 1989, I was 20 with a Marimba and I joined a group of street percussionists ranging from 30's to 50's in age. I worked with them for 9 years and later the same group lead a Earth Day drum event attended by over 10,400 drummers playing together. This group was made up of Americans of African, Jewish, Irish, Italian, Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, and a few other decent. So don't tell me that people can not work together with respect. This group went from street/park playing to the professional ranks.

It takes effort and a few risks but it can be a rewarding experience. I know people in their 70's that play and teach younger up and coming musicians. If all the older players wanted to complain then none of the younger players want to have anything to do with them and vice versa.

It takes respect on both parties for this to occur. I am very fortunate to have experienced this occurring with band that was interracial and had ages from 20's to 50's work together.

I now have much to learn with conga playing and my teacher is almost 20 years older than me. We show mutual respect and this creates a working relationship.

Peace be with you
Jerry Bembe

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:09 am

I was taught to teach 'the roots' of the rhythms and then expand from there...there is a defined rhythmic base ,for example Tumbao...etc...a 'root' rhythm, which has been expanded onto 4 and 5 congas(a la Anga)...So yes Traditional rhythms are the root of rhythm, and everything after that is innovation or expansion of that idea. There is a place for the old and the new, now can we all just get along?.... :D ...
JohnnyConga

Postby Anonimo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:23 am

Last edited by Anonimo on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Anonimo

Postby Anonimo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:48 am

Last edited by Anonimo on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonimo

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:50 am

I donot like most of the new stuff like timba, it just does not do it for me.
Love the old stuff son montuno, rumba, bomba, plena, merengue, boleros etc.
I think in many ways music is re-gressing not progressing and by that I mean
music programs in school go unfunded and end-up in the cutting board. The
music business is in shambles. I do not think we will see a Frank Sinatra or a
James Brown again. Now days all you see is the flavor of the month which
by the way donot have an idea what music is. We are been dumbed-down.
Lady Gaga, American Idol etc what the heck is that.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Quinto Governor II » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:36 pm

Even though the old gives way to the new, the old - thanks to technology, will still be there for future generations who may want it. The youth are operating on a different vibration - one that those of us from older generations can not feel or understand. The changes in music reflect the changes in culture. The human culture is rapidly changing as a result of the changes in technology, and the increasing interaction of peoples of different cultures. The music seems to always be accompanied by a dance, and it is the dance I believe, that makes the music obsolete. Salsa had the advantage of a new audience here in the states ( populations outside of NYC ) which aided its longevity. I'm not sure its fair to compare Cuban timba to American salsa. Cubans dance a totally different style than salsa, which is reflective of the differences in the music. As for American salsa it is also a product of a change in the culture. The music is marketed to a younger and more diverse audience. I have danced with many Latinos/Hispanics most of them older, who know nothing of the patented moves that are taught to people new to the dance, by the instructors that come out of the salsa congresses. For many of them I imagine salsa music was just another part of the culture that they simply took for granted. Today salsa (the dance) is structured and marketed to the yuppies. The culture that salsa grew out of may no longer exist. The influence of the broader culture and culture in general on the music, maybe too great, for the direction of the music to be changed by focusing on the music itself, and the musicians who play it. Culture can not be controlled so easily if at all. That's why I think nothing can be done. It will just evolve naturally.
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby pcastag » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:48 pm

EVOLUTION! Ride horses or drive car? AC or sit on the patio? Some people's lives are still tuned to the natural cycles and rhythms, sunrise sunset, but you can't stop evolution. Long for simpler days and time? Really, it is what it is, I appreciate tradition, but all things evolve.
PC
pcastag

Postby pcastag » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:53 pm

RitmoBoricua wrote:I donot like most of the new stuff like timba, it just does not do it for me.
Love the old stuff son montuno, rumba, bomba, plena, merengue, boleros etc.
I think in many ways music is re-gressing not progressing and by that I mean
music programs in school go unfunded and end-up in the cutting board. The
music business is in shambles. I do not think we will see a Frank Sinatra or a
James Brown again. Now days all you see is the flavor of the month which
by the way donot have an idea what music is. We are been dumbed-down.
Lady Gaga, American Idol etc what the heck is that.

Ben Harper

Amy Winehouse

Stefon Harris

Check em out all modern, all bad ass. Remember back int he day we also had groups like the monkeys, the archies, I think the good stuff stands the test of time, there's always cream cheese or mozarella. I prefer the mozarella.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Anonimo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:21 am

Anonimo

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:12 am

Today the youth are bringing in to play Guaguanco Bata,timbales, bongos, Cajon and a numerous instruments that do not go there and only Clash one with the other.

Dont you think this is a huge generalization and assumption? Just because a handfull of videos have appeared online does not mean this is a widespread practise on the island.

I observed, studied and performed widespread throughout La Habana in both modern bands and also folkloric ensembles including Rumba settings of Guaguanco, Columbia, etc Abakua, Palo along with Aberikula (non religious) and also religious settings ie with Tambores de Fundamento (Aña) ceremonies etc, the pure traditions are alive and well, strong as ever with enormous respect shown towards them. The traditions are stronger than ever in youth in Cuba and defended rigourously.
Then you have the evolution and creation side which has a clear distinction both are practised, and simply enrich the genre.

Same way Violins and flute were added to create orquestas de Charanga, same way the trumpet and congas were added to become modern Son bands and so on..
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Next

Return to Open Discussion