Newbie. First post.

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Newbie. First post.

Postby Jackson_B » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:40 am

I'm not quite sure how I stumbled across your site, but what a wealth of info here! Thanks so much to all the members for the input and experience they are sharing.
I guess that I'm what you'd call a hobby drummer. I bought my first conga back in 1969 or 1970 after seeing a group of drummers hanging out and playing at Rainbow Beach on the south side of Chicago. It was a whole new world for me. Bougt some 'Last Poets' and played along. Over the years, I've gathered various drums (ashiko, tabla, djembe, mrdangam, conga, etc) and have gone to some drum circles. I've never REALLY learned to play, though. I can keep a beat, but really never learned the ins-and-outs and the various techniques. I've vowed that this year (my 60th), that I am going to start from the beginning and learn the basics and work my way up. I hope that it's not too late.
This afternoon, I ran across Johnny Conga's "How To Play Conga Drums" series. I think that these are just what I need. I also ran across a youtube site that someone created a bunch of 9 minute metronome clips (45 BPM, 60 BPM, 90 BPM, etc) Loading them on to my iPod now and getting ready to spend an hour a day with Johnny Conga.
I know that there are people here of all levels of expertise. Another novice might not be welcomed by a lot of the professionals here, but I promise not to be a nuisance. But meanwhile, I'm gonna soak it all up like a sponge.
Thanks again.
Jackson
Jackson_B

Re: Newbie. First post.

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:13 am

Well let me be the first to WELCOME you here!...I also want to Thank you for checking my videos out and I hope they help you..Im sure you will find the answers to your questions here...there are plenty of them here...there are other newbies here so your not alone...and as a 'professional' I have no problem with newbies...I was a newbie myself once and somethings today are NEW to me...Welcome again....JC Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby pavloconga » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:03 am

Hey Jackson, welcome to congaplace.
It's never too late to learn a new skill in life - and don't let anybody tell you otherwise!
Study with a good teacher, (JConga is a great example) and lay a good foundation for your skills and develop good habits. The congas will keep you interested in life for years to come, probably into your 80's and beyond :)
pavloconga

Postby Jackson_B » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:23 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Johnny Conga and Pavloconga. I'm re-watching Johnny Conga's "How To Play Conga Drums" series this morning while waiting for the FedEx man to deliver my latest purchase. My funds are kind of limited and I wanted at least one other conga to play with my LP Matador tumbadora. Over the weekend, I ran across that big sale on the LP Rumbas. After I ordered them, I ran across this site and read some fairly negative things about them. But also some fair comments as to they'd be fine for beginners. We'll see. I bought a pair (11" and 12") for like $235. According to Amazon, a savings of like 84%. I figured that if I'm somewhat happy with them, I'd spring for the 10" quinto at $139. Again, my funds are limited and my skills are as well.
Thanks again.
Jackson_B

Postby KidCuba » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:02 pm

Welcome! I found my own re-birth into studying congas this year.

Best of luck, and keep learning!
Triple Pulse Conga Practice- http://www.larumbero.com
KidCuba

Postby Jackson_B » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:44 am

KidCuba wrote:Welcome! I found my own re-birth into studying congas this year.

Best of luck, and keep learning!

"Re-Birth". Nice way of putting it, KidCuba. :D
Jackson_B

Postby CongaTick » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:10 pm

congas.jpg
Welcome and enjoy your "rebirth". Just celebrated my 69th and still kickin' it.
CongaTick

Postby Dicemanb » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:38 pm

Hey CT,

You have been regressing since your 60th.

Dice
Dicemanb

Postby Thomas Altmann » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:26 am

You know what? I'm glad to see photos of the real people behind the forum aliases, like CongaTick. Has there ever been made an effort to put together a photo file of our members? Or would that be against private internet security?

Greetings,

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby CongaTick » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:51 pm

DN 1 TEDS 06 11.jpg
Ya got me, Dice. Good eye. Here's a frame capture from a private party in June. You can see I've retained my "youthful" edge (Yeah, right.)
CongaTick

Postby pavloconga » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:02 am

Lookin' good CT! Playing congas is keeping you strong. Way to go bro...
pavloconga

Postby Jackson_B » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:24 pm

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and support (and the PMs and e-mails).I'm still finding this website just overwhelmingly helpful. I believe that if I were to read every post here, with its many links, it would take me a year.
Better get started. :D
Jackson_B

Return to Open Discussion