Playing and Arthritis

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: Playing and Arthritis

Postby CongaTick » Wed May 22, 2013 12:44 pm

JJH MAY 4 2013 with text.jpg
Tricky....Ahhh those "stabbing pains". Yep. Most familiar. First, as stated by others, have a pro check your technique. Powerful strokes can be delivered with a minimum of vertical movement of arm/wrist. I use tape to protect fingers from skin/callus cracking/splitting, not to cushion. I'll be 71 this year and play more now than I did 10 years ago---3-4 gigs a month with different bands/groups. Being an an avid percussion prostitute am willing to sit in with almost any and all so long as they play pro. "Arthur" Itus has been a constant companion. I practice strokes continually whenever I practice (3-4 times/week) trying for perfection with minimum, movement. I mic all my drums when playing with electrically amped bands, and insist on cranking it up to compete evenly with the drummer. (Saves my hands). Unless you've got seriously screwed up hand joints/nerves (check in with your Dr. to make sure it's JUST "Arthur") you play through it/with it. As always, I defer to the wise advice of those pros who are the foundation of our forum and brotherhood.
CongaTick

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed May 22, 2013 1:44 pm

Love your set up of fiberglass drums on that photo.
Is the white LP a tumbadora? Kool picture...Forever Young!
RitmoBoricua

Postby CongaTick » Wed May 22, 2013 6:03 pm

RB, thanks. The white tumba is an original LP Palisades park I bought in the 70's and regadless of its sticks-out-like-a-sore-thumb appearance have included it in all my kits since it is forever sweet and forever young like me :lol:
CongaTick

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed May 22, 2013 6:18 pm

Sticks-out in a very good way.
I think you have found the
fountain of youth playing with
the younger generation, that's
one way to forget about aches
and pains.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Psych1 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:09 am

I've got it too. Runs in my family and it is progressive so I pretty much know where it is going. Right now it is in my knees and my right hand but it is mild. I'm a runner and a piano player so at some point I'm going to have to give those up. I don't expect to have to give up the congas and bongos though, I've always taped my hands - when I was a kid I wanted to look like Candito - now I do it for protection and support. CC is still my inspiration - I'm going to keep playing.
Psych1

Postby CongaTick » Thu May 23, 2013 11:08 am

Never stop. If you do, life will run right over ya.
CongaTick

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu May 23, 2013 11:33 am

Mr. Candido Camero is a pretty good role model
when we talk about longevity. Amazing he still
playing after all these years. I am pretty sure
keeping active and playing help keep arthritis,
and other aches and pains at bay.
RitmoBoricua

Previous

Return to Open Discussion