Matthew Smith

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Matthew Smith

Postby Craig » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:21 am

I have tried to contact Matthew by email a few times in the last few months, with no response. His website no longer exists and the domain name was abandoned. His telephone number is not in service. Has anyone been able to contact Matthew in the last few months? I fear he is out of business and incommunicado.

Craig
Craig

Re: Matthew Smith

Postby conganalu » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:32 am

PM sent.
conganalu

Postby pcastag » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:16 am

Matts had a set of Bongos of mine for over three years now. I gave up on them, old mahogany gonbops. Called, e-mailed, spoke to him personally. really. Whatever. Did a great job on my sonocs, but I guess unless you keep bugging him he forgets about you. Not my style. I would definitely reccomend his drums, but I wouldn't reccomend him for repairs.
PC
pcastag

Postby conganalu » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:25 pm

I oredered his figured mahogany bongos last January. Back then, he said it would only take 3-4 months. The latest is that it will be done by September. I guess I'll just have to wait and see :(
conganalu

Postby Psych1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:48 am

When he works he does good work. But, he is neither reliable nor dependable. I can't work with someone like that.

Last time I posted something critical of Matt the mod here deleted it. He is protecting Matt and doing a dis-service both to Matt and to the members here by doing that.
Psych1

Postby pcastag » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:24 pm

conganalu wrote:I oredered his figured mahogany bongos last January. Back then, he said it would only take 3-4 months. The latest is that it will be done by September. I guess I'll just have to wait and see :(

I think right now getting them in 9 months would be a record!
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby rhythmrhyme » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:04 pm

This is a disappointing thread...

It's really unfortunate that Matt isn't able to keep up with his customers. It must be a very difficult transition from Artisan to Small Business Owner for many of these artisans. In Matt's case it is particularly unfortunate as he makes such looking great gear - I've never actually laid hands on one of his drums but would have ordered from him if there was a way to be in contact. Given his recent troubles, it's probably better that I wasn't able to. I certainly wouldn't have had the patience for a repeat of my experiences with Isla :?

Hire a book keeper and assistant Mat - you can do it!

RR
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Guys I spoke with Matt today, got off the phone with him about 10 minutes ago. I hadnt been in touch with him since just before I left for Cuba in November last year. And since returning in late April had kept meaning to call him but time just goes...
I phoned him for his bday, caught up and got talking about where he's at etc.
His difficulties should be coming to a close in the next few weeks, upon that chapter of his life closing he will be able to resume full time work on what he does best.
Things to look forward to include a new functional website being professionally done, not too far off from being completed.
He sincerely apologizes for delays and lack of communication. He is not hiding or anything of the sort. He is never near a computer while these dramas are on and is on a backlog of approx 12 months at this stage for any new orders for congas. He is very reluctant to take on any new orders as his current situation does not allow for full time attention to the craft.
Legal battle is taking up all his time and concentration at the moment.
He is well and in good spirits and thanks all those who still believe in him and his craft. He will be back soon and badder than ever! 8)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion