Greetings from Indianapolis

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Greetings from Indianapolis

Postby Babaloo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:58 am

I guess it is time to introduce myself. I've been lurking on the forum for six weeks or so. I decided that I'd like to learn to play the congas, so I set out to learn as much as possible prior to buying any drums. I'm amazed at the depth of talent and knowledge on the forum and I've learned a lot in a short time. An amazing twist of fate led to me finding a used quinto and conga at a very cheap price.

Shortly after deciding to start looking for a pair of drums, I decided that I wasn't going to spend $400 on entry level drums. I knew that I'd regret it just a few months down the road. I read everything I could get my hands on for a couple of weeks and ultimately walked into the local Guitar Center prepared to spend $700-800 on a nice pair of drums. I was counting on someone on the sales staff helping me make the final decision, but I had narrowed my choice down to a pair of LP's or Meinl's.

After explaining my rationale, the salesman told me that earlier in the day, a guy had walked in the door with a pair of drums that he wanted to sell and they bought them. He told me that I could buy them both for $100. He took me to the back room to show them to me and I was soon headed out the door with them. I thought that it was nice of him to give up a decent sized sale to help me out like that. He even tuned them up for me and threw in a tuning wrench.

The drums don't have anything on them that would identify the manufacturer. They have a few nicks and dings, but nothing serious. They are on crude stands that I can't get them out of by myself. I'm going to have to get some help with that. At some point, I'll post some pictures to see if anyone here can identify them.

I've been watching a lot of Johnny Conga videos to learn some technique and exercises. Lessons aren't in the budget at the moment, but I hope to start taking some in the not to distant future. I'd love to take JC's in-home course some day. He is an amazing talent and appears to be equally adept at instruction. For the time being, I'm sticking with exercises and the tumbao.

At age fifty-eight, I don't have great aspirations, but I intend to work hard at becoming a decent player. I'm having fun thus far and have made decent progress with the different tones in a couple of weeks. My slap has a long way to go. Anyway, I'm grateful for all of the information here and I look forward to becoming a part of the community.
Babaloo

Re: Greetings from Indianapolis

Postby Mike » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:08 am

First of all: Welcome to congaplace! :)

And do not forget to post a pic or two of
those congas.

Johnny Conga is certainly THE teaching resource to tap here.

Enjoy drumming!
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby CongaTick » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:28 am

Welcome, Babaloo. And JC is THE man! And, I must say your attitude and approach is going to get you far. Don't get frustrated. Relax, have FUN and have patience with yourself.
CongaTick

Postby KING CONGA » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:36 pm

Welcome to the forum Babaloo.
Age 58 is a perfect age to get started and don't let anybody tell you any different :D
Its really is all about enjoying yourself in what you are doing. You will see that once you actually start playing to music with your drums you will enjoy them even more.
Please post a picture of your drums, sound like you got an excellent deal.
We will try and help you identify them for you.
Take care.
K.C
KING CONGA

Postby Babaloo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and the encouragement. I truly appreciate it. I'm not bold enough to call myself a musician, but I'm learning very quickly that the community of musicians is a very friendly and supportive one. I know that I not only have the opportunity to learn a lot here, but I'm also in very good company.

My biggest problem thus far with learning the different tones and endeavoring to develop proper technique is forcing myself to relax and not stiffen up. I watched a video of Mongo Santamaria last night and I swear if his hands and wrists had been anymore relaxed, he could have played the Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz. His wrists looked like they were on well-lubricated ball bearings instead of joints made of bone and cartilage. That's something I really have to concentrate on.
Babaloo

Postby Babaloo » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:43 am

I'be learned a very good lesson over the last three weeks. I had to go out of town on business for six days the last week of September. I wasn't able to practice while I was gone. I'm just now getting back to where I was before I left. It's amazing how quickly your hand coordination, to the extent that I had much, can disappear when you miss a week of practice. Fortunately, I don't travel that often.
Babaloo

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:34 pm

Welcome Babloo!..I have sent you an email.... I can give u a bunch of exercises you can do for the hands that dont require a drum, just a flat surface will do...Tks to the guys in this forum for their support for me as well, it's appreciated....sigue la tradicion!... JC-left- Angel Rodriguez-middle, Cano-guagua, Doug Flores-chekere...=RUMBA!

Rumba 1.jpg
JohnnyConga

Return to Open Discussion