performance

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

performance

Postby congavalde » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:28 am

I am collecting congas, bongo, timables, etc. and continue to learn and improve technique and rhythms on them.

I would love to one day join or start a salsa or similar type of band. What does one do for performance to get started, or once they reach that level to perform? By performing I would improve my skills, so I don't necessarily want to wait too long to start performing as it may never happen.

Thoughts??
congavalde

Re: performance

Postby Tumbas » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:53 am

I have always made it a point to work with people who do not drink excessively.. as in to get drunk. It's important for everyone to be on the "same page". Chemistry is important. Some people tend to think they are "rock stars" and that can cause problems.

Personally, I make sure I know the material and don't deviate too much until I have done a few gigs. I like to find that pocket and stay there. There is plenty of opportunity to strut your stuff, but firstly, the band has to get in sync. Everyone should keep their levels evenly, so that no one stands out too much... balance.

Let yourself be lead by the energy of the room you are playing. Watch the dancers. Your playing and their dancing is a communication. Dominate the stage. Charge it up, dance, sing. Direct your energy to them.

If you're not "playing it", they will feel it. Engage your audience. Let them know you. They will know you through your music.

Rock the house.

I love being on stage.
Tumbas

Return to Open Discussion