Anyone ever have a similar experience??

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Anyone ever have a similar experience??

Postby Greensail » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:47 am

Been really quiet here but thought I'd share an experience I had this evening. Have missed a few weeks playing with the band, a few of the guys out of town, but have been putting in my usual 1-2 hours on the drums each day. Almost didn't sit down this evening but went in for "just a minute". No warmup, simply started playing along with a tune, and over the next 45" of almost continuous playing, I'm realizing every strike is nearly perfect, I typically strive for a consistency in the sound, tonight - not missing a thing. Slaps were a thing of beauty if I say so myself. Fills and rolls, fast or slow, are smooth and clean. I start thinking "this is the best I've ever played the congas." More I thought that, I started to fall apart. Perhaps the lesson-feel and play, don't think but, being my approach was really practice, thinking is important and it was more my technique than any melodic masterpiece. But....gives me hope I may turn into a respectable conguero. Anybody ever have a similar experience?
Greensail

Re: Anyone ever have a similar experience??

Postby Chtimulato » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:15 am

Hello everybody.

Yes, it can happen to me sometimes too. Maybe a kind of "good mood", I don't know. Or a kind of "feeling", "connection" to the music? No idea.
Chtimulato

Re: Anyone ever have a similar experience??

Postby Thomas Altmann » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:44 pm

I'm totally familiar with that. In my experience it's nearly impossible to create this condition consciously and on purpose. As soon as your conscious mind enters, the magic is gone. And you cannot order your brain not think about something particular. All you can do is to strive for an inner balance on every plane. In my opinion this is one of the mysteries in the arts. And a good reason to rather take a walk in the forest or by the sea every once in a while, instead of incessantly practising your instrument.

Congratulations!

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Return to Open Discussion