Help for José Luis Quintana, a.k.a. Changuito

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Help for José Luis Quintana, a.k.a. Changuito

Postby Chtimulato » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:38 pm

José Luis Quintana "Changuito", who is no longer to be introduced, is apparently very ill and has just been hospitalized.
Obviously, despite Changuito's notoriety, the family is rather poor, and therefore needs financial support to buy the necessary medicines.

A Facebook post by Patricio "el Chino" Díaz indicates the way forward:
https://www.facebook.com/patricioelchinodiaz/posts/457052652690564

In order to make a donation, you must use the Zelle application, a payment tool in the Americas. Changuito's daughter manages the donations on site.

If you don't want to install or use this application - which is my case - you can make arrangements with someone to whom you can transfer money in another way.

Thank you for him.
Chtimulato

Re: Help for José Luis Quintana, a.k.a. Changuito

Postby jorge » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:05 am

The GoFundMe has raised over $1500 USD for Changuito, and the organizer, Fausto Julio Howay Areas, said today in an update video that Changuito was very ill, was in renal failure, and had just had an above knee amputation. What is not clear is why the organizer has not yet sent the money raised to Changuito. He said he plans to send it soon, by the 14th of March. I don't get it. Does anyone on this forum know the organizer, Julio Areas? I sent him a message via GoFundMe telling him not to wait, to send what he has now and then send any additional funds raised later. Let's see if he responds.
jorge

Postby Chtimulato » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:24 am

Hello Jorge and everybody.

I don't know this man, but his Gofundme link was posted by someone I know and trust, who also knows Changuito very well, that's why I posted the link. I don't know why the man didn't send the money yet.
But I just clicked on the link, and saw they now want 2000 $. I remember that the initial objective was to raise $500. Then it went over to $1000, which got reached and exceeded. And today, it's $2000. As you said, let's wait for the answer of the man.
But as I said too, I trust the man who gave me the link.

I didn't use this link to give some money : as I said in my first post (before the Gofundme link appeared), I didn't want to install and use the Zelle application, so I made it in another way : I sent money via PayPal to someone I know and trust in the USA who could transfer the money to the family.

I also had this information (the amputation) yesterday from a good friend who also knows the family. You know better than me how serious it can get now.

So let's wait and see. And hope.

Stay safe, everybody.
Chtimulato

Postby jorge » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:41 am

Any news on how Changuito is doing? I haven't seen anything online although I can't get into the Facebook page. The GoFundMe fundraiser raised $1885 and then closed a few days ago and no updates are on that site. The organizer Julio Areas did not respond to my email on March 6 but said in his video update on the site that he would send the money to Changuito's family by March 14.
Chtimulato could you find out from any of your friends who are in contact with Changuito how he is doing, and if they got the $1885 USD yet?
jorge

Postby Chtimulato » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:15 pm

Hello.

I know from two different sources (who know the family, at least for one of them) that Changuito has been hospitalized and has a leg amputated about two, two and a half weeks ago. You already knew it and mentioned it in a former post.
I have seen two videos made by his daughter and posted on Facebook where he appears. I could recognize Changuito on them, which was not the case on the first posts I've seen about it : because of the picture angle, it could have been anyone on them.

I just sent Fausto Julio Howay Areas (the Gofundme guy) a message, asking him to give us some news and information. Let's see if he answers.

That's all I know by now. I'll ask my two sources.

Stay safe.
Chtimulato

Postby jorge » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:50 pm

Thanks for the update. I know that $1885 USD can contribute a huge amount to getting better medical care in Cuba. It sounds from our limited sources like Changuito needs this as soon as possible. Even with that he still needs support from his family and from his musical, religious and local communities. He certainly has given a lot to all of us who play Afrocuban percussion. Hopefully everything has gone according to the plan Julio Areas presented in the 2 videos on GoFundMe. I hope he answers your message. Ache pa' Changuito.
jorge

Postby Chtimulato » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:17 pm

Here is his answer :

"Hi,
Sure. He had surgery and is better. His daughter Yudianis does facebook live updates. I stay in contact with her and Changuito. He’s in much better spirits. He will need rehabilitation. Take care.
JA"

He certainly has given a lot to all of us who play Afrocuban percussion.

If every conguero/conguera who uses the mano secreta would give 10 € or 10 $, Changuito would have an individual room in a private clinic in Switzerland, or in the best hospital in the USA. With 3 personal doctors and a whole nurse team just for him.

Aché pa' everybody.
Chtimulato

Postby jorge » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:35 am

Great news! Thank you for the update.
jorge

Return to Open Discussion