WHAT is wrong with the GIO GALAXYS ?

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

WHAT is wrong with the GIO GALAXYS ?

Postby OLSONGO » Sun May 18, 2008 11:51 pm

I would like to know in your honest opinion, what you like and don't like about this drums ? This drums go for around $600 each new. I have a set, quinto and conga on ebay , and i know that Dario was trying to get rid of a set an ebay also; both priced below $600 FOR THE SET !! and in very good condition. Personally I found them to be a very solid and excellent sounding drum; so why is it that people want just about given to them or ask for some ridiculous price ?. I am selling mine because I am down sizing ( even the vintage Gon Bops are going ) I am just keeping my old warriors... my white LP classics, plus there is an endorsement on the way.

PAZ
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Re: WHAT is wrong with the GIO GALAXYS ?

Postby Chupacabra » Mon May 19, 2008 1:15 am

I know 2 people out here that have the Gio Galaxies and they are anxious to sell them as well. Why? Because they have a lot of ring to them. They've tried different skins and removing the varethane finish from the inside, inserting foam pads and they just ring like crazy! I'm sure there must be a way to fix it but most people give up pretty quick I guess...
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby Tonio » Mon May 19, 2008 1:31 am

I have seen some people put duct tape on the underside of the skin to tame the ringing. It does take some tweeking on how much , and where to place it.
It does work to a degree, with the emphasis on the ring vs muddy sound/no sustain.
I'm sure they have been used in studio and live recording. Alot of the ring is not captured if done right.
The old LP fiberglass congas was ringy, and was a sought after sound in its heyday.

T
Tonio

Postby Mike » Mon May 19, 2008 5:34 am

Yes, the Galaxys do have a ring, but not the ring cuts through the mix, but the open tones & slaps do!
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby OLSONGO » Mon May 19, 2008 12:07 pm

The ringing can be fixed with a thicker head. But I really don't have that problem.

Paz
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby Mike » Mon May 19, 2008 12:16 pm

I put a rather thick mule skin on my Galaxy quinto which reduced the ringing somewhat,
but it is still there to a certain degree - which I find not too bad. The overall sound
is rather dry, I like it.

On the whole, apart from cheap, too thin heads, it´s pretty much a question of the shell design too if a conga has got many overtones.
At least that´s what I learned from the reading of expert opinion on this forum.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby OLSONGO » Mon May 19, 2008 3:52 pm

There some one interested in Spain for the quinto , to complete the whole set and he is very happy with them.

Paz
OLSONGO
OLSONGO

Postby Whopbamboom » Tue May 20, 2008 8:22 pm

I have the ash-wood Gio's as well.

I like the fact that I can play them in a manner that is a cross between conga and djembe, and create rhythmic patterns that are easy for me to play. I use my thumbs a lot for open tones, and the open tones are nice and clear with my thumbs. I suspect that is probably a side-benefit of those thinner water buffalo skins.

I don't like the excessive ringing. But I recorded these congas and the ringing didn't come through. The congas sounded nice in the recording. I also don't think that the ringing cuts through in a live band setting. They probably sound just fine with loud music covering up the ringing.

In the right context, I think the LP Gio's are just fine. Of course, I still plan on getting other types of congas in my arsenal as well. There is no way that the Gio's can be compared to, say, Isla's for instance. They are just completely different drums.
Whopbamboom

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue May 20, 2008 8:43 pm

At the rumba in Berkeley at La Pena last weekend, they played with a set of Islas and
an LP Giovanni quinto, it sounds fine and the rumba sounds great.
bongosnotbombs

Postby congaDR » Tue May 20, 2008 9:16 pm

I think the Gio's are great drums, with good skins on them. The stock skins just suck.

The Palladium series is the one i cant get to sound good - way over built.

I love the quote: 'nothing about a good sounding drum said it has to be well built' In other words, if one builds a drum like a tank, it will sound like one. Very few super heavy drums sound all that great to me, with the exception of Master Matt Smith and the JCR tubs Cali used to sell.

Its like selecting strawberries for how they look, and wondering why they're tasteless.

Tony
congaDR

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue May 20, 2008 10:24 pm

Yo Tony,
Sandy Perez sure sounded good on that Giovanni at the end Sunday!
When he took over it was instantly obvious! Hey man, you didn't sound bad yourself!
bongosnotbombs

Postby congaDR » Wed May 21, 2008 4:55 am

yea brother,

Nice to see you there.

Sandy can make anything sing, no? What a talent. We are so lucky to have him around.

Wasnt he on the isla Qinto? Ill have to check the tape and get back to you :D

Thanks for the kind words about the playing, sometimes it seems like a steep climb...

Off topic, have you been to Sandy's Saturday class?

Tony
congaDR

Postby umannyt » Wed May 21, 2008 6:57 am

Isn't/wasn't Sandy Perez an endorser of Gon Bops?

There's a YouTube video clip of him playing on a set of 3 natural-stained California series.

Sandy was also featured on some demo audio clips on the California Series on the 2007 version of Gon Bops' website.
umannyt

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed May 21, 2008 7:16 am

congaDR wrote:
Off topic, have you been to Sandy's Saturday class?

Tony

A friend of mine was there last week, Sandy was teaching bembe, feminine and a masculine versions
depending on who you are playing for. 6 students.

I'm torn man, I want to go but then I'd have to miss Carlos's class.
Maybe I'll start alternating.

Well Pili brought that tiny Isla requinto, but there was that LP Giovanni around too, and that other red isla quinto right?
I seem to remember him playing the Giovanni, but I could be wrong, I was busy watching Jose Barroso dance.

People were switching quintos all night, I still think that Giovanni drum sounded great with the Islas, and that
crazy huge cajon! We use a Giovanni quinto over here in the SF rumba too. What can I say, Giovanni is a good quinto.
bongosnotbombs

Postby congaDR » Wed May 21, 2008 1:39 pm

Uman -

Yes, Sandy was an endorser of Gon Bops for the last few years, and usually plays the California series. He is open to endorsement offers.

I tryed to get him hooked up with Matt Smith, but looks like that may not happen. Perhaps Moperc, we'll see.

But at these open rumbas, its up to who ever bring the drums - usually one of my student, Irish Rick brings his set of Islas.

Rick worked out a way to get in on any Rumba - bring drums, and play the living daylights out of the Cata! Works every time!

Bombs,

Man, we should have coordinated the class to work around Carlos'. Im sure it was not intentional. Perhaps we can change the time.. I'll talk to him about it.

Sandys Bembe's are incredible... truly incredible. Ive never seen more elegantly designed rhythms.

...yea, put a fat skin on the Gio quinto and its one of the best production tubs out there - very comfortable to play. They are a bit heavy, however. I lugged 5 around for a year, gigging latin Jazz. But the experience caused me to switch to a 2 drum and a cajon setup.. just too much heavy gear to lug.

Tony
congaDR

Next

Return to Comments and Suggestions