Even the pros at times can't be right

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Even the pros at times can't be right

Postby OLSONGO » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:42 am

Take a look at some of the comments made by a well known guitarist on the Jazz scene Mr. Steve Khan. Comments in reference to parts played in a recording by Richie Flores and Luis Quintero.
http://www.stevekhan.com/maluco.htm

Paz
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Re: Even the pros at times can't be right

Postby CongaTick » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:29 pm

Revealing my level of musicianship (more, a lack thereof) I couldn't understand 99% of what he was talking about, but always remain in awe of those who could argue his points or nod knowingly.
CongaTick

Postby OLSONGO » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:47 am

Congatick, he( Steve Kahn ) is refering to what should of had been played , in reference to the tone of the bell chosen and the rythm played on the congas.
Paz
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby Tonio » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:34 pm

I don't think its a right or wrong issue. Its more about personal enlightenment or feel.

Steve ,Ruben, Richie and Luis know their chit, but sometimes the pre production doesn't go down as the tune's initial idea is conceived. Perhaps Steve didn't get the chance to voice his percussion ideas completely, as he references a change in his initial idea in the chording structure. He mentioned Ruben commented on the chord voicings , and let me tell you I think he neglected to mention anything about Dave Samuels on purpose. I bet somewhere during the rehearsal the chord structure(feel) was discussed to a meylay that Steve somehow got sidetracked and did not get to the percussion parts.

FYI , Steve left the band because of Dave. I 've learned from various people that Dave is a monster to work with, and I don't mean in a good way.

T
Tonio

Postby Tonio » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:03 am

Just a few notes while I have some time.

If you actually listen to the tune Maluco, you feel that the groove isn't really happening. Steve's idea of playing the bell on mambo bell perhaps is better. But also listen to Dave's interpretation of the tune....hardly any counter melody stuff that he's known for...

Further reading , check out Cosecha lo que has sembrado. That tune expresses Steve's sensibility highly, and as he says he gives freedom to the percussion instrumentalists'. It is contrived from a "more" percussionist's mind due to the genre per se, however still has the Khan-"centrics". I've been listening and enjoying Steve Khans work for a long time, so its totally up his " alley".

Back to Maluco... it appears this tune may have been -revamped to other creations on other LP's but focuses more on flute/marimba leads.

I think, it(Maluco) needed more interpretation from Dave Samuels and Dave Valentine due to them not "getting" the Khan-centrics. Then, perhaps the rhythm section could have been a " in line" part of the tune.

T
Tonio

Postby pcastag » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:33 pm

Casa loco is a phenomenal album, steve Jordan and Anthony Jackson on drums and bass, one of my favorites, unfortunately hard to find out of production.
PC
PC
pcastag

Return to Comments and Suggestions