links....

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Postby benbaboon » Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:37 am

First of all my compliments for your great site... great resource, interesting content and solid look and feel.
One small item I thought you could do better with is more links. For example, on the front page there is a mention of tumbao triplets exercise.... would be nice if that text took me straight there.... I actaully got a little lost on the way...
I listened to Laurent Lamy's piece (which I liked very much... great use of the string instruments) would be nice if the image to the left of the link triggered it too.
same goes for the folder images in the forum.
By no means are these show stoppers.. I'll definitely keep exploring this site as will many others whether you fix/enhance these links or not....
Thanks again for being out there.
-bb
benbaboon

Postby CongaMan » Tue Dec 11, 2001 8:55 pm

Thanks very much for your post I'm glad you like the site and I appreciate your help to improve it!

Home Page Links
I agree with you: a link straight to the page would be better but the problem is with frames.
For example to put a link straight to the Tumbao Triplets Exercise I should have placed this link:

http://congaplace.com/instrument/congas ... 3plets.htm

As you can see the page doesn't contain the left (menu) and top frames. Do you think I should put this link anyway? (the inconvenient is moving around from that page)

Audio Files Links
This can be done (with a bit of work). Originally I put the little notation image just to advice visitors to the presence of an audio files referred to the rhythm, but I though that was enough considering the fact that most of the time visitor go to view the notation page before downloading the audio file.

Forum Folders Links
The forum is something I have installed as realized by the authors and unfortunately I have no possibility to control links over the folder images.
I think it could be done in same way but I'm not enough expert to handle the cgi code of the page. The risk is to compromise the entire functionality of the forum!!

Thanks again and if you see more things to improve do not hesitate to post here your suggestions... :)

Bye
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby benbaboon » Sun Dec 30, 2001 12:03 am

Hi Congaman,
I'm a web developer... when I don't beat my drums.... and was actually forced one time to solve the first issue using some javascript code that goes in the head... let me know if you want to implement it and I'll see if i can dig up the code.
here's what it does basically:
onload it checks for the frameset... if frameset isn't there.... it loads the frameset and calls the current doc into the main frame.
not for the weakhearted web developer and you should check it in various browsers... but it works.
-bb

(Edited by benbaboon at 12:04 am on Dec. 30, 2001)
benbaboon

Postby CongaMan » Mon Dec 31, 2001 12:17 am

Thanks Benbaboon, if you find the javascript send it to me so I will try it ... keep in touch!

Bye
CongaMan
Site Admin

Return to Comments and Suggestions