Rumba Venues in the USA and Europe - A Section on Rumba Venues

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Postby Rumbaon6 » Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:06 am

I think it will be great to have a section dedicated to Rumba venues in the USA and Europe, where people can get information when visiting any given city about Rumba venues.

I am constantly in touch with people who run Rumba venues in NYC and SanFrancisco. Weekend before last, we had the percussionists, guitarists and dancers from the Ballet Nacional de España visit "Rumba on 6," while doing a concert in Miami. They were thrilled to find genuine Rumba played by Daniel Ponce and Lazaro Alfonso (founding member of Irakere) at our space in Little Havana. They were going to NYC the following week and I gave them information on my cyber friend's venue at the WreckRoom.

This will be really good information for Europeans, Latin Americans and people in the USA.

Congratulations on your site!
Adalberto
Rumba on 6[br]http://www.6gonline.com/guaguanco
Rumbaon6

Postby carlitos » Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:20 am

At La pena culture center in Berkeley Calif everyother Sunday is set aside for Domingo de Rumbas.

Carlitos
carlitos

Postby zaragemca » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:20 pm

I been holding the Drum Circle on every Thursday's night in Houston,but beside Rumba ,we also play Yoruba's Mozambique,Samba,Arara,and Merengue.
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Mr. Furley » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:06 pm

Zaragemca,

Where does the drum circle take place and at what time?
Mr. Furley

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:46 pm

YO YO YO ...up here I have started "Rumba en Domingo", at a place called "GasWorks" park in a section of Seattle called "Fremont"....I am basically going there with a few select friends to jam on the "serious" side, for me that's the only way, but having fun at the same time ,of course. I'm trying to get in 3 to 5 hours of jammin,at least. It's the true way for us to "stay in shape" with the drum, and that is good "ol fashioned " Rumba. so ENJOY!...y no se pare La Rumba! :D .....JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragemca » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:03 pm

I think I missed this for sometime,the Drum-Circle have taken place in Houston,Texas for 7 years,around, 9.oo pm to 10.oo pm.If you are in Houston could contact me,or e-mail me.Gerry Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby CongaCaja » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:27 am

As Carlitos says, in Berkeley California, there is "Domingo de Rumba" The schedule can be found here schedule

The home page for the La Peña Cultural Center provides useful information such as the address should anyone want to drop in for the rumba

cjk

Edited By CongaCaja on 1101191401
CongaCaja

Postby congamyk » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:44 am

Kansas City Missouri has an ongoing Rumba jam every Sunday afternoon. In warm ( and dry) weather it is held at Loose Park south of the Plaza at 55th and Wornall. In cold/wet weather it is by invite only at someone's house. The rumba jam has been ongoing for several years on a regular basis.

The rumba is informally sponsored by The Traditional Music Society of Kansas City. The meastro is Agustine from Havana but there have been many, many distinguished rumberos in Kansas City and many parts of the country that visit. Kansas City has a very large Cuban and Puerto Rican population and there is a tremendous network and friendship among musicians and lovers of Afro-Cuban music here.
congamyk

Postby rumbero russo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:30 am

In Saint Pitersburg, Russia we have a centre of rythmic culture SOLAR, there we make rumba jams. Unfortunaly here are not many sunny days in our city, that's why we don't play on the streets often, like in Havana and other south cityes do :(

Here are not a lot of cubanborn rumberos, but are many talented musicians working in own style, "rumba a la russe" :) Contact me if someone going to SPb, it is the real rumba capital of Russia.
rumbero russo

Postby onile » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:08 pm

Alafia Abures del Tambor!
I hope that you are all well and in an abundance of blessings!
I do recall back in the 70's here in Phx. AZ, en el parque del Encanto (Encanto Park), we used to conduct Rumba jams on Sundays. I was usually the first person there with my instruments, and slowly other drummers would show. The interesting dynamics in a rumba jam are that all levels of talent show up, some to perfect their skill, others to learn more, but ultimately it's a synergy that takes place and everyone gets to eat at this drumming smorgesborg (sp?)!
We no longer have them however, seems the old drummers, not me, didn't appreciate when the "Marialito's" (Cuban refugees during the 70's) came into the picture with their incredibly cool rumbas, rumba columbia, guaguanco, and singing, that it blew away some of the drummers and they stopped coming. I found it incredibly cool to be there to learn more authentic rythms. The drummers that would get together at the rumba jams prior to the Marialitos, could not break a rythm down to the individual parts, guaguanco, yambu, etc., they were more comfortable with playing the bastardized parts on two and three drums. I miss those jams, I learned quite a bit from them.

Odabo!
Tony
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby onile » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:07 pm

Alafia!
I apologize, I seem to have missed the point here with this post! I wound up reminiscing instead of actually contributing to it. Let me suggest that as a result of those willing and able to committ to this, that they volunteer as a contact person, so when anyone visits, or plans to visit their location, they might be able to organize a bembe/rumba jam. Essentially, "Ambassadors of Rumba!"

Hey it's a thought!:D

Suave!
Tony
onile

Postby franc » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:49 pm

it is ashame that here in puerto rico there is not a rhumba day. sad to say. i wish some one will create a drum circle. also sad to say there are not many percussionist here. i used to live in chgo and there were lot of percussionist. also are rhumba drum circle. not to mention the great rhumba bembe circle in summeer time at the park. awesome!!! my best, franc :(
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby onile » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:02 pm

Que Cosa! You would think that there would be tons of players congregando en la playa!
I guess times change! Las cosas cambian y sentimos la falta de ciertos elementos!

Organiza tu propio bembe mi hermano, eso es lo yo ago! En mi propia casa, llamo algunos de mis amigos percussionistas, arreglamos un pernil, un arozzito, y bebidas pa'entonce empezar la rumba!

Suave!
Tony
onile

Postby franc » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:25 am

tony, thanks for the advice. i wish things here were like in phoenix and other places in the state and in europe. thanks God i play in a school band. i play the bongos in salsa band. we play classic salsa. i enjoy myself a lot.we usually get together at christmas time and bembe a lot. but after christmas all go their own way. you know how it is. voy a tratar de hacer lo que me dices ,ok. bueno suerte y áche , mi amigo, franc
:)
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby rumbero russo » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:46 am

Hello everyboby!
Hope you all enjoy your selfs playing percussion whereever it is...
I think, it's not a big problem for cool guys to meet each other, and this is the only factor making rumba posible, even doesn't matter have you any instruments or not (sure, you have to know HOW to play). :D
Just find the place and call your few playing friends, start making groove together, the others will come later. You will see that a great fest it can be!
Wish everybody success and happiness!
rumbero russo

Next

Return to Comments and Suggestions