Recorded me playing along. - just for fun

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Postby Bataboom » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:27 am

Sounded kinda neat... of coarse I would rather have been playing in a group with out a percussionist, but I just started an mp3 played along and hit record, sounded pretty cool I think anyway, you might not think its too cool :-)

check it out...
Me playing along with an mp3 on conga

All I have here is an 11' quinto so there isnt much variations by me. At the end I let the mp3 finish and I do a little diddy on the end for kicks :-)

I wouldnt mind a little comments but go easy on me Im new to Latin Jazz.

Edited By Bataboom on 1137907681
Bataboom

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:32 pm

Its always good to record yourself and listen back to what you've done good and what could be worked on. All part of the experience of achieving a higher level than before.
Your mp3, thanks for sharing. :) Nice and slow is a good point for you to start.
Hearing your marcha (tumbao) I would reccommend you practise along with a metronome. At times I hear your slap a little delayed or not quite on the beat of '2'.
Practise and play along with a metronome to perfect your timing, you will be amazed at the improvement over time.
Remember, marcha needs to sound solid and like a flowing machine..
ie
1and2and3and4and
H T S T H T O O

H- Heel
T- Tip
S- Slap
O- Open

Good luck and all the best in your learning experience. :)

Edited By ABAKUA on 1137936791
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Bataboom » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:57 pm

I noticed a little off beat there at times, I wasnt sure what the deal was, I have always had good timing, I thought maybe the tune was doing something a little defferent then me at times, might just be me, but it seemed like he wasnt always doing a straight tumboa, yu say marcha thats a new word for me is that different then tumboa? Maybe thats the different thing Im hearing that Im not changing on?
Bataboom

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:32 pm

Marcha is Tumbao. My first instructor many many years ago always reffered to it as marcha, it stuck with me.
It is a common Cuban name for tumbao.

All the best my brother from another mother. :)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Bataboom » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:44 pm

kool thanks !
Bataboom

Postby mario2 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:44 pm

Bataboom,
Part of the issue is since you're from Lousiana, thats the way a lot of the music is played. i.e behind the note. In Texas most music is played the same way. My brother is a Rock musician from Austin, Tx but his main money gig is with a national recording artist from Indiana. All of the others in the band are also from Indiana. There, they play right on the note and when he first started they pointed out that he was always behind the note so he had to adjust.

In latin music (salsa, latin jazz, rumba etc) the tempo is always pushed (On front part of note without rushing unless by design).

I bought a "Metrognome" from Korg and use it to practice keeping steady and on the beat and It really helped. When I play rumbas I work to push the tempo because its real easy and natural for me to fall back behind the note. It really doesn't matter if you're in front or behind the beat as long as that is where the rest of the band is. The problem comes when some are on front and some are behind. I know I got a little off the subject but I had to overcome the same issues.

Here's a link to a clip from New Orleans drummer Johnny Vidacovich playing with John Scofield. Can you hear the clave?
http://www.drummerworld.com/Sound/JohnnyvidacovichCissy.mp3
mario2

Postby captainquinto » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:45 pm

Bata bing, BataBoom!

Hey brotha' ... way to put it out there!

I don't have anything to add technically that wasn't already said - the metronome helps.

But - I did want to say good for you for putting it out there. Opening oneself to criticism is tough,
even though we have a pretty darn good group here! :)

Peace,
Cap'nQ

p.s. I'm working on a geocities site to post clips of my own and other forum members that need a place.
It will be at http://www.geocities.com/rhythm4souls
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
captainquinto

Postby Bataboom » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:19 pm

Thanks for the encouragment captainquinto, I was hessitant to put it because I am new to Latin Jazz rhythms, and I didnt want people to come down on my new found fun too hard. Of coarse I dont want people lying and telling me I sound like a Pro either lol....

If you need help with that geocities site let me know!
Bataboom

Postby Tonio » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:17 am

Bataboom, nice tone. el natural !!

Not a bad mix with a MP3 bro.

Now get back to the timing!!

T
Tonio

Postby Bataboom » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:07 am

I hear ya, timing timing timing ......... :-) Thanks for the complements
Bataboom

Postby SkinDeep » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:43 am

YEAH YOUR TIMING WAS OFF, BUT THE CHOPS WERE CLEAN AT THE END.
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Return to Comments and Suggestions