Conga and weather

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Postby que » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:38 pm

I know that the effects of Heat makes things expand , Metal ,Wood ,etc...If a Conga is taken on a Regular basis from a Cool environment ( the house) to outside , Can a Conga crack because of sudden temperature changes and if left outside loooong periods of time in the Heat ( or Humidity and Heat) ?

Edited By que on 1100344578
que

Postby Charangaman » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:54 am

You should loose up the tension on Conga/Bongo heads after playing, this way the skins will not crack regardless of weather conditions.
Charangaman

Postby zaragemca » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:13 pm

Greeting,the extensive exposure of the real skin to extreme condition would damage the skin,the humidity being the most notorious,(even on short period of time).Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Raymond » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:42 pm

Had the experience of leaving a "fiberglass tambora" in the heat an the it bent in the area of the hardware/lugs.... Also, the heat "tunes" natural heads...Heat could also break with heat...

Heads that are took thick start affecting the shape of bongos and congas giving them an "egg shape". (Same problem could ocurr not because of tuning too tight but problems with lugs that are tuning well).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby TampabayRey » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:57 am

How about the wood congas? Will it going from hot sunny days to now cold nights. Will it cause problems in the wood congas? or should I bring them back in the house. My outside studio doesn't have any A/C or Heat at this time. I alway de-tune after playing. Best Regards
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby ralph » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:17 pm

TampabayRey wrote:How about the wood congas? Will it going from hot sunny days to now cold nights. Will it cause problems in the wood congas? or should I bring them back in the house. My outside studio doesn't have any A/C or Heat at this time. I alway de-tune after playing. Best Regards

well wood, contracts and expands with the weather, so if your wood congas are exposed to the both extremes i would say bring them in as to prevent any cracking or splitting. Especially if you have wooden congas with metal rings, the wood wood expand the metal, than when it contracts the metal would stay loose...

Edited By ralph on 1130339862
ralph

Postby onile » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:19 pm

ralph wrote:
TampabayRey wrote:How about the wood congas? Will it going from hot sunny days to now cold nights. Will it cause problems in the wood congas? or should I bring them back in the house. My outside studio doesn't have any A/C or Heat at this time. I alway de-tune after playing. Best Regards

well wood, contracts and expands with the weather, so if your wood congas are exposed to the both extremes i would say bring them in as to prevent any cracking or splitting. Especially if you have wooden congas with metal rings, the wood wood expand the metal, than when it contracts the metal would stay loose...

Alafia Ralph!
¡Espero que todo este bien contigo mi pana!

I know this for a fact, wood and metal becoming victims of the elements! I have four Palladium Tumbadoras (2 - 14" and 2 - 12 1/2"), and all of them have had this happen to them. They were obviously fabricated in Thailand or wherever it is in the tropics they mass produce them, and I live in AZ (Heat!).

Don't get me wrong, I take great care of my drums, they look as though they just came outta the box. The exception however is that the wood itself contracted (the moisture which was still in the wood has dissipated) and the wood shrunk a bit. The rings are now "bowing" out a bit. I contacted LP and they told me that the rings are only on for cosmetic purposes and wouldn't effect the sound of the drum. The drums sound as good as they did when they came outta the box, but I'm seriously considering putting them up on Ebay!

They are way too impractical! (heavy as a bull), but that's another topic....... :D

Suave!
Onile
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby zaragemca » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:49 pm

Greeting to onile, the rings in the congas aren't there for cosmetic purpose,there are there to articulate the tuning together with the rod/system,if it is loose you need to centralized the rings in the middle before placing the rest of the tuning gears,(if the ring get out of shape,you are going to have trouble when trying to set up new skins).Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1130356407
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby onile » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:17 pm

Alafia Abure Zaragemca!
Espero que todo este bien contigo!

You know, I'm sure that is true with "authentically" made drums, however LP I don't think took that into consideration when they began mass producing the Palladiums. If you take a good look at them, the outter skin of the wood actually looks like it was covered with a laminate covering. It really looks un-natural, kind of like the cheap furniture of K-mart!

The rings on the drums are actually one piece of steel bands mounted on the drums, pretty thick and impossible to adjust!

I know that you have mentioned that you visit Guitar Center in your area, if you get a chance, and they have a set in the store, take a close look at them, I would be interested in your take on them.

Suave!
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1130357985
onile

Postby TigerBongo » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:22 am

Hi All,

All of the above issues you guys have mentioned are why I've just gone out and bought a set of Lp Patato's.....

I've been worried long enough about using my wooden conga set outside at gigs - and over summer I tend to do a few big out door concerts (about 100,000 people) and have been worried about the effects of the elements on the drums (both the cold and the heat in one day (good 'ole NZ summer!)

I'm probably going to use Synthetic heads on them too to avoid tuning issues with......

TigerBongo
TigerBongo

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:50 am

Hmmm.. Ive had my LP Classics for almost 15 yrs... no problems at all and Ive gigged all over the place in Aus and a few overseas also...

I still have my classics, but have also taken delivery of 3 new LP Palladiums thanks to a recent deal with LP and the drum store I use, never had a problem with skins/tuning/warping of drums etc.

When not in use, I untune the drums always, after every gig/rehearsal/jam I bring the skins down also. I take good care of my drums, treat the skins every few months and is all good.

I guess we are fortunate to have a dry climate in Sydney, sure it rains, gets cold, gets hot always, but the climate is not tropical, nor humid etc, very dry climate, and I find this does not affect our tumabdoras in the way as described in this thread... In a way Im glad, because I love the sound, warmth and depth that the wood tumbadoras provide, Im not a fan of synthetic skins nor fibreglass tumbadoras.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1130720108
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby TigerBongo » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:18 am

Hey Abakua

I should have added - that another main reason I was wanted to get some Patatos - is that I do a lot of theatre/jazz/comtemporary gigs in Chch - so I was always after some thing a little less 'warm' than my wooden Meinls (which I love - they've got JCR skins on them too - thanks Isaac!)

I should be getting the drums in the next few weeks - so will keep you posted. I've got a big outdoor gig at the end of November that plays in Chch and Auckland - it's a Family Christmas concert - and normally they get about 100,000 people in Chch (I did Auckland as well one year and that was around 300,000 people!) Can't wait to crank them out on this gig. I also have to play timpani, glockenspiel, tub bells and other classical perc - as it's all lumped in the perc part. Congas and latin perc are probably only 1/3 to 1/2 of the charts...

Later,
Craig

Edited By TigerBongo on 1130754014
TigerBongo

Postby onile » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:44 pm

Alafia Abakua!
Que pasa mi pana!

Hey, I have four LP Palladiums, 2-14" and 2-12 1/2", and all four of them have the rings bowing out from the shells. I'm sure that this is from the climate out here in AZ, but are you experiencing any of this with yours?

I still have yet to take them out again, I just can't see hauling these 2-ton Tessies out anywhere! I keep them in my makeshift studio and use them when I teach. Dude, I just can't get over how fricken heavey they are. I can't imagine congueros de Nueva Yolk hauling them up stairs and the like, what the fuk was LP thinking with these........... :angry: :laugh:
I have a mind to call and complain......

Suave!
Onile!

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... jiggs6.jpg
onile

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:27 pm

hahaha yeh they are a bit heavy.. but they not big... just big bones! :laugh: :p :D

I have custom made heavy duty gig bags made up for them that make them easy to carry as back pack style.
I can strap the conga on my back, another conga across my shoulder and Im off, I make a 2nd trip for teh Supertumba which I also strap onto my back. The stands I carry around in suitcase with wheels whcih is small enough to just fit the 3 x collapsible cradles once folded up..

As for them getting bent, no problems here mate, I imagine it is to do with your climate. Mine are are in showroom condition a year later after getting them.

I use both my Classics and the Palladiums for gigs/rehearsals depending on what sort of access to venue I have. But Ive lugged the Palladiums up 4 flights of stairs before for gigs hehehe. Keeps me excerising. :D
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby onile » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:45 pm

Vaya Abakua!
Man, you have more patience than I do my brother! I played two gigs this weekend and took my Fats out on both. Whew! what a difference in sound and weight!

Yeah! I'm a bit dissappointed with the bands though. I am considering putting them on Ebay!

You keep on drumming mi pana!

Suave!
Onile!
onile

Next

Return to Comments and Suggestions