Conga and weather

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:35 am

When I was giging in New York city I carried one conga over my shoulder in a bag and a rolling fiber case for my tumba ...I moved in the snow, in the heat, in th esubways, with no car, never got mugged either, not even when coming from way out at Ave U in Brooklyn and waiting for the train at 5 in the morning on a platform by myself and 2 congas,and have to go all the way back to the Bronx.....and then get to my projects and find that the 2 elevators in my 15 story building would be broke down and I would have to walk up 10 flights with my drums. after a night of gigging....you guys still have it easy... :D :D :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... ellin1.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:39 am

On conga in this photo is the late great Johnny "La Vaca" the father of Johnny "Dandy" Rodriguez, with Noro Morales on piano.... :D "JC" Johnny Conga....ps ..notice no microphones or sound sytem, and the conga is a "heat it up"....
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:30 am

Alright, so I was having a pitty party! :laugh:
What's the old sayin' "I once felt bad cause I had no hat 'till I met a man who had no head!"
I guess I should just shut up and keep on drummin', keep on drummin'!
#### I even have a cart to carry my shit on when I go to a gig! Que Va'!

You're absolutely right JC my man, we do have it good!

con respeto a los mayores!

Onile!

Edited By onile on 1130826686
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:17 am

onile wrote:Alright, so I was having a pitty party! :laugh:

Pitty Patty?... hmmm I believe the technical reference is "you is being a bitch!" :D :laugh: :p :D

Jokes brother! Doing the lug after a gig shits me too!
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby onile » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:58 am

Are ya' feelin' me brotha?
Bitch! Bitch! Bitch! Bitch! Bitch!:p :laugh: :D

Ya' got me dead to rights brothelee!

Suave mi pana!
Onile!
onile

Postby ralph » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:12 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:On conga in this photo is the late great Johnny "La Vaca" the father of Johnny "Dandy" Rodriguez, with Noro Morales on piano.... :D "JC" Johnny Conga....ps ..notice no microphones or sound sytem, and the conga is a "heat it up"....

JC,

Johnny "la vaca" is on tumbador right? Do you know who is playing timbal?
ralph

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:15 pm

Onile and Abakua ...you guys are funny,man....on the tumbadora is "la Vaca" with the maracas is the singer Pellin Rodriguez, and I just don't recognize the timbalero, sorry....normally Noro would have his brother "Humberto Morales" on timbales, but not on this gig...."JC" Johnny Conga....yea now they even have conga bags with wheels, don't want to strain yourself carrying your own drums.... :D :D :D ..hahahahahahaa....
JohnnyConga

Postby TigerBongo » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:54 am

Hi guys,

Like many of my drumming and percussion friends - I actually have the ultimate device for conga transportation and logistics.

It's called a 'wife'. Fits nicely in the front seat of my car and with proper training can carry up to 2 congas + stands!

For you guys that haven't already invested in one of these - it's well worth looking into. Sure they cost abit up front and there are the on going maintenance costs.....but in the long run they tend to pay themselves off quite nicely :;):

Later,
Craig

Edited By TigerBongo on 1130925288
TigerBongo

Postby onile » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:16 pm

Alafia TigerBongo!
Wow! spoken like a man with confidence! Confident that your wife doesn't every visit this forum!:D :p :laugh:

That's really funny brother!

I've actually had two, but unfortunately they both broke down on me and I invested in a cart! ;)

Stay cool!
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1130985742
onile

Postby Smejmoon » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:24 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:When I was giging in New York city I carried one conga over my shoulder in a bag and a rolling fiber case for my tumba [..]....you guys still have it easy... :D

Carrying my conga and tumba some 10 minutes for the gig in the old town where cars are not allowed (and I don't have a car) makes nice warmup. :)
Smejmoon

Postby onile » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:47 am

Alafia Smejmoon!
I hope that you are well and in an abundance of blessings!

First of all, welcome to the forum, I'm sure that you'll read some interesting stuff, as well as learn from some of the finest percussionist in the world here! If you've been reading this thread, then you'll know that I am probably the laziest conga player on the planet :D !
I prefer to use a cart to carry my stuff, and anything else that I can do to make my gig go easy, well that's for me!

So tell us about yourself, what do you play? who do you play with? and anything else you care to share!

Many blessings!

Onile!
onile

Postby rumbaman » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:23 pm

Hey guys how you all doin' i loved the advice about the wife ,since 'ive been married for about 18 years. You are a lucky man if you can get yours to do your heavy work hahahaha , but man i will tell you the hidden costs are great. I say its great conditioning and they say it's easy to be a musician . My wife she is my best audience 'cause she always has something to say about my playing ,But she is ussually very satisfied with it 'cause when she is listening i ussually play what ever she likes and thats bossa novas witch i like anyway . Sorry about the spelling .

rumbaman :p
rumbaman

Postby rhumbatumba » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:40 pm

TigerBongo wrote:Hi All,

All of the above issues you guys have mentioned are why I've just gone out and bought a set of Lp Patato's.....

I've been worried long enough about using my wooden conga set outside at gigs - and over summer I tend to do a few big out door concerts (about 100,000 people) and have been worried about the effects of the elements on the drums (both the cold and the heat in one day (good 'ole NZ summer!)

I'm probably going to use Synthetic heads on them too to avoid tuning issues with......

TigerBongo

This is why I have Fiberglass drums... the Remo nuskin heads are very good.
Control, for smilers cant be bought
rhumbatumba

Postby Berimbau » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:56 am

I've been living in the HUMID South for over 15 years now. Get the Remo heads already!!!!!!!!!!! Nine out of nine Cuban congueros CANNOT tell the difference in a recorded performance so just do it!! St. Mongo forgives us, but it's raining and we want to jam!!!!!!!!

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Previous

Return to Comments and Suggestions