Drumset forum area. - A forum for trap set players to visit.

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Postby Tamborim » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:40 pm

Hello to all.
My respects.

I think this site is very nice. I found it just yesterday. I would like to encourage drum set players to join and discuss playing their instrument. It would give people here a chance to discuss how the working relationship between the trap set and other percussion works. I think an additional forum would be nice.

Plus, I am a trap set player. I also play percussion to varying degrees of success.

Thank you for your time.
Tamborim

Postby Bataboom » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:58 pm

I respect your request and think your right to a degree.

If a set section would be added to this site I dont think it should be and elaboritly focused thing, because there are many places on the net for set players, this place is rather unique not many places dedicated to hand perc.

If you search for Drum playing online 9 outa 10 will be set playing sites. So I think this site is doing a great job in keeping it hand perc. focused if it would add a set playing section I think it would be useful but would hate to see people get too focused on what types of sticks you use rather than what type of head skin :)
after all this is THE CONGA PLACE
no disrespect to set players, I do play set as well, but its not my main nitch.

Edited By Bataboom on 1104523196
Bataboom

Postby Tamborim » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:25 pm

My respects.
Thank you for your reply.

Oh yes, I certainly see your point. I do not inhabbit any of the drum forums I have seen due to the large level of youngsters talking about, as you say, stick sizes. Although this subject could get out of hand in the timbale section. :D

I respect the fact that this site is dedicated to percussion. I am not thinking of a large forum for trap set. I guess these questions regarding percussion and set playing could be asked in the general forum.

Thank you again.
Tamborim

Postby mangorockfish » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:06 am

Tamborim, have you checked out the Evans site. The guys there are older and very wise, like these cats here on this forum. A wealth of info waiting to be given out to the worthy person. No nonsense kind of guys.
mangorockfish

Postby OLSONGO » Thu May 04, 2006 5:00 pm

Things don't have to get out of hand, aren' t we civilized humans after all ?
I do think that an exchnage of ideas, in how hand percussion and drumset coexist in a band setting is important; so that the music sounds nice as a whole. You don't want a rythm section to sound as if it was falling down some stairs. I hear this a lot because neither the hand player and stick player know the correct placement of their parts, in the respective rythm.
OLSONGO

Postby Diceman » Thu May 04, 2006 7:16 pm

Olsongo,

I agree with you brother, stick and hand players could learn from each other, but maybe you guys who play both can start posting where you feel both sides could benefit.
For starters, if sticks could play a little quieter and listen to and for the hands, the world would be a groovier place.
Tuning is another issue, if toms and congas are badly tuned aaaargh. etc etc etc
Kit/hand perc players, help out here

Rant over
Diceman
Diceman

Postby OLSONGO » Thu May 04, 2006 7:58 pm

Diceman, well what you are talking about is dynamics and that is one of the fundumentals, and tunning is up to the whole band, what kind of essence do they want to portray.
OLSONGO

Postby yoni » Thu May 04, 2006 8:07 pm

Hey Diceman,

I sure agree with that rant and would only add that hand drums must be well-miked when playing along with drum set, unless the set drummer uses brushes or has a super-light touch.

I play both, though I more like hand drums. Here's a tip for set drummers who often play in small, crowded places: I use a floor tom as a bass drum. I attach a pedal to it, and with a mike inside it sounds great with the treble and mid down and the bass up. I also bring a snare, ride, and hi-hat, which also serves as a crash, and that's it.

Later in the evening on that gig I switch to darbuka, the saxman plays my drumset, and we go ethnic. Wish we could do that all night, but the owner wants mostly rock-n-roll. Oh well. We also put in Latin tunes whenever we can.

All the best,

Yonatan
yoni

Postby zaragenca » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:06 pm

Greeting to all,as a drummer /percussionist,the most important skill of a percussionist is how to set up percussion articulations of parameters,(what is called en Cuba buscar la formula), so not toget in the way of the other percussionist,or repeating the same musical phrase,and I absolutely agree that moving the parameters is the most difficult skills to understand and dominate in the percussion field.,it take a teacher becouse even your own brain could trick you out,(for beginers percussionists). after memorization of the musical phrase the percussionists learn to put that phrase in a metric pulse,and then to set up the phrase in the proper parameters,(in relation to the Clave,or Time Signature).Just a few cookies from your brother.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Return to Comments and Suggestions