batas - looking for bata drums

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

batas - looking for bata drums

drums
No votes
batas
100%

Total votes : 1

Postby robert07 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:35 pm

I am looking for some real batas, not tin can toys from lp and other robot companies. I saw those two peice batas from mathew smith and that is not the way you make batas. Close but no cigar. I will pay up to $3000 for the real thing. If anyone know of any cuban drum makers in the states, please let me know.
robert07

Postby tamboricua » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:42 pm

Robert07,

Here you go:

Ezequiel Torres

Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby verticalgil » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:36 pm

to the administrator, what you think about adding more emoticons to the site? make it more colorful and funny at the same time... ???
verticalgil

Postby robert07 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:28 am

Thank you Jorge,

Those Torres batas are the real thing, beutiful!!!!!!!
I will give him a call.

Thank you, Robert
robert07

Postby ralph » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:19 pm

Robert,

So Matthew uses two pieces? I didn't know...Matthew does good work on congas though, I have heard that JCR does some bata construction supposedly using carved shells...you may want to ask Cali, but yeah Ezequiel Torres makes some beatufil drums with traditional rope/cuero, or even with hardware...let us know how it turns out...
ralph

Postby yusef33 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:22 pm

:) What's up all, I want to mention a little something about Ezequiel's Bata battery. He makes a beautiful laced bata but they don't stayed tuned very long. I have a set and only used them a couple of times. The time it takes to pull rope and tuned these types of drums takes a toll on my hands. So I decided to search for a conga manufacturer that I might be able to share some info concerning dimensions of the construction of authentic bata as described in Nigeria and Cuba. Lo and behold I came across an individual through mutual acquaintances and was directed to a gentleman by the name of Mario. Mario is a Conga craftsman with meticulous attention to detail. Upon further conversations with Mario, I found out that Mario produces Bata drums and let me tell you when I went to visit his shop in Los Angeles,CA. I was amazed to see his bata, the construction of the shell is cut to shape not like other manufacturers who glue two sides together (Cha + Enu). The tone on his bata are unlike anything I've ever heard. The sounds of his Bata and Congas will blow you away. The name of his company is called ISLA PERCUSSIONS. His phone number is 310.916.3425 check him out. He is the real deal. Check out the picture of the set that I bought.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... ground.jpg
yusef33

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:55 pm

There is a brother named Matthew Smith who is making the most beautiful congas and batas...."JC" Johnny Conga...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... ongo_.jpeg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:57 pm

His Bata's are just as beautiful and I think he is in North Carolina...they are all "hand made"....I just dont have a photo of them..."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:18 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:His Bata's are just as beautiful and I think he is in North Carolina...they are all "hand made"....I just dont have a photo of them..."JC" Johnny Conga...

Hi JC,

If we are talking of the same Matthew Smith of Ritmo Drums, he is based out in Philly.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1168284041
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:28 pm

GraciaS BRO U always ON IT!.....u right..that's him... :D
"JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby ozrivera » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:16 am

I have a set of Moperc congas and the quality is top notch. these batas are staved, not sure if this is what youre looking for.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... batas1.jpg
Pa-tra ni-pa cojer impulso.
ozrivera

Re:

Postby Tumbas » Wed May 04, 2011 5:24 am

tamboricua wrote:
JohnnyConga wrote:His Bata's are just as beautiful and I think he is in North Carolina...they are all "hand made"....I just dont have a photo of them..."JC" Johnny Conga...

Hi JC,

If we are talking of the same Matthew Smith of Ritmo Drums, he is based out in Philly.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1168284041

I live in Philly. He is actually not in Philly but about an hour north. The best way for me to describe his location is - somewhere between the Delaware Valley(DV) and the Lehigh Valley(LV)... or North or the DV and south of the LV.
Tumbas

Return to Comments and Suggestions