Special Guest of Honor Thread

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Postby tfunk » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:23 am

Well said Issac! That would be a valuable addition to this disscusion board. I, for one would really like that.

tfunk
twm
tfunk

Postby Diceman » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:24 pm

Spot on Isaac.

Diceman
Diceman

Postby CongaTick » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:18 pm

Hear! Hear!
CongaTick

Postby afrocubarico » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:47 am

Isaac,
You hit it right on the proverbial nail! That is exactly what I as a member of this great board would like to see. And yes, the word "celebrity" is probably not a good way of describing the ideal persons who could participate in this thread.

I think you said it best when you stated, "someone who's paid their dues and has built a career out of percussion". It would be great to get a professional's perspective.

J.C. certainly has my vote. I can tell he's been around the block and knows his **** very well. And by reading some of the posts here I think Abakua would also make a great subject for this particular thread and I'm sure there are others on this forum of whom we would benefit from their experience.

I will say that it would definitely add some excitement to have "pro's" who are not members of this forum occasionally drop in and answer a few questions/advice, like the Ponchos, Giovannis, Robertitos, Paolis, etc..

Moderators, can we make this happen?

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby davidpenalosa » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:45 pm

Would anybody care to summarize what the gist of the exchange between Pancho and this forum was about?
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby CongaTick » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:46 pm

Respect to the bros and my 2 cents. If moderators could organize topics on this proposed thread in a way that would address issues we might want to know about: A brief personal history. BRIEF. Current status. Current setup and any endorsments, CD's, national/international bookings planned. Practice technique and drills used. Major influences in past and current. Most dificult technique to master. Etc... Others undoubtedly can designate even more relevant topics.

Hope this takes off.
CongaTick

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:14 pm

By all means bring Poncho in and any others from our field of endeavor, the more the merrier I say..."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:23 pm

Here is my list of Artists I have performed with from 1976 to 1986...Los Angeles...

Sergio Mendes & Brasil 77 Santos Colon
The Jackson 5 Daniel Santos
Willie Bobo Nelson Ned
Mongo Santamaria Rolando Laserie
El Chicano Super Banda Azucar
Silver Convention Johnny Martinez Orch
Strunz and Farah Bobby Amosito Orch
Maynard Ferguson(personal valet)
Lamont Dozier Johnny Nelson Orch.
Holland and Holland Andre Crouch
Orchestra Versailles Lobo y Melon
La Tipica Antillana with Jose Lozano
Rudy Regalado Orch.. Erik Matos
Azuquita
Bobby Matos The McCrary's
Carter Robinson John Klemmer

there really isn't anything "brief" about my performance History...sorry..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
PS...Next will be my Miami experience.....
JohnnyConga

Postby yoni » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:25 pm

Hi CongaTick, hi all!

Well I can't ask for an honorary thread since maSSivedrums has already given me a couple here lately - what an honor!
But I also hope the idea takes off!
For the record, some info on meself can be found on my mini web page here that CongaMan has kindly allowed me to add on to, audio and videowise.

Major influences, no priority in order: Giovanni Hidalgo, Luther Francois, Elvin Jones, Johnny Conga, Ahmet and Levent Misirli, more...

Current set-up: varies with gig. Weekly on drum set while singing lead, then switching to darbuka as the evening goes ethnic. Some gigs just on congas, some just on darbuka or daholla (bass darbuka). Favorite current project is still with an amazing violinist and oud player named Amin, Christian Arabian from Jaffa, Tel Aviv, but like with me, music is his true religion. Have mentioned him here before... the dude is "plugged in", on fire, and our shows get better and better all the time. Niether of us are promoter types, but we are learning. Our music is mostly totally improvised but the connection is such that many people think it's highly arranged. It IS composed, but spontaneously, on the spot. This is also how my pops liked to play, and I find it a most fun and exciting approach too.

Difficult techniques for me to master: double stroke hand roll, some finger rolls, "bending time" (playing in time while giving illusion of randomness), etc.

Most difficult technique for me to master: Making "full-time" living as percussionist in a tough economy. But things are looking up.

Still working at all this, and blessed to be enjoying all the way.

All the best,

Yoni
yoni

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:37 pm

THANK YOU YONI..I feel Honored....."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:54 pm

The NEW Pearl Percussion Roster...."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... orsees.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby yoni » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:23 pm

Very cool JC!

Pearl should be honored, too! I sure am.

Yoni
yoni

Postby CongaTick » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:18 pm

I too, am honored, JC and Yoni. Yoni, insight into your playing and technique mastery very enlightening for me. It's still hard for me to believe how many people do NOT hear percussion, nor have any instinctive understanding of its presence or influence.
CongaTick

Postby niallgregory » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:45 pm

Hey JC ,

Your photo is just under Francisco aguabellas .Now thats an honour :D
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:37 pm

Hi Niall....yes it is...It's kinda interesting that Patato was the only one in all these years out of the 5 Godfathers that got an Endorsement...Fransisco and Baretto just became Endorsees this past year...for Pearl.....I feel Honored to be in the company of an Aguabella....oh yea I kinda remember Julito Colazo LP poster...but I don't know if it was an endorsement or just a photo op.....
"JC" Johnny Conga... :D .
JohnnyConga

PreviousNext

Return to Comments and Suggestions