Special Guest of Honor Thread

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Postby afrocubarico » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:12 pm

Hello all,
Late in my teens I took up the hobby of performing magic. Although I never performed professionally, I became quite proficient at it. A few years ago I discovered a magic forum online.

One of the features this particular online forum had that always interested me and others was a Special Guest of Honor thread where every month they'd have a "celebrity" magician log on for a few days and talk shop with fellow forum members.

The thread became very popular and today the site boasts membership of over 26,000!

I was thinking that perhaps we could implement something similar here in the CongaBoard. Maybe we could pursuade a "celebrity" percussionist to log on the forum for a few days and answer questions and share his experiences, etc.. We could have a different guest log on once a month or so. What do you guys think?

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby Berimbau » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:29 pm

Well you'll have to count me out on that one, afrocubarico. I'm having a bad hair day and Jessica Simpson STILL isn't returning my phone calls. Her publicist keeps saying something about getting a restraining order?

lol,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby OLSONGO » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:12 pm

Berimbau, What was that ? That her pubic cist keeps saying something about a re-entring order.

Afrocubarico, not a bad idea I can see if some of my celeb friends may be interested.

Paz OLSONGO

Edited By OLSONGO on 1158952833
OLSONGO

Postby CongaMan » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:14 pm

Yeah... good idea... let's see how it develops... creating a special forum will not be a problem!!

Ciao!
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby Johnny Conga » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:53 pm

Well not to pat myself on the shoulder but I would consider myself a "celebrity" Artist...so if you want to start this with me by all means...let me know if "i'm IN or OUT......"JC" Johnny Conga...... :D
Johnny Conga

Postby CongaMan » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:10 pm

You are IN for sure!!!

JC I think you are using two different accounts... Johnny Conga and JohnyyConga with no space.. the second is the one where u are into the moderating group the first (used in this post) should be the old one you couldn't use anymore sometimes in the first version of the forum...

You can use both with no problem... just to let u know..
Bye!
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:10 pm

Gotcha took me a minute with Abakua's help to get it right ..good looking out..."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby afrocubarico » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:06 am

J.C.,
I've read some of your posts on this forum and you definitely read like someone who has a vast amount of knowledge as a percussionist/performer.

I don't know who runs this CongaBoard but my vote is in for J.C.! If my memory serves me right, the way this kicked off in the aforementioned forum, the special guest would start off by posting a detailed bio of him/herself so that the other members would have a sense of his/her background.

Moderators, whatta ya say?

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby whitemanplay » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:43 am

dont know about this... who conciders one a celeb is a matter of opinion to some people, I remember reading some time back that Poncho Sanchez came here for a few posts and some people ran him away.

Not all people take kindly to someone calling him or herself a pro/celeb giving out advice. A celeb player to me may not be to another guy and he may post ofensive threads and start an ugly scene. And im sure most celebs got other things to do rather then participate in a forum fight over weather he/she is good enough to be called a celeb here.

But hey who am I to say, but surely the past shall speak for it self, and it has in my book.

Edited By whitemanplay on 1158986689
whitemanplay

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:08 pm

No fight here. I can be either in or out. "JC" Johnny Conga.....ps having a problem with typing on this site it's not typing out the words as I am typing them, it pops up after Im done.
JohnnyConga

Postby OLSONGO » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:14 pm

JC bro, lets hear your knowledge, what is that anglo saying.... you can please some people some of the time blah blah.. I personally am interested. In my time I have played with some celebs and their reaction has been very positive. Currently I am more concerned in my own creations, than being a side man; as time goes by I will post them. I will get in communication with Richie Flores, Cyro Baptista, Gumbi Ortiz for starters to see if they would like to come aboard.
And about Poncho I guess you rip what you saw.

Paz OLSONGO

Edited By OLSONGO on 1159042530
OLSONGO

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:36 pm

Bro I got 41 years in as an Entertainer/Musician....have just about done it all....I know you would like to hear about it ,but if it's gonna get into other "trips" by individuals here then I would rather not, unless there is a "serious" intrest in my Performance History...it don;t matter to me one way or the other.... I'm still one of the guys on "la esquina' tu sabe....."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:49 pm

I'm gonna list the Artists I started with in New York City starting from around 1965.....here goes....

Joe Panama
Phil Diaz & The Latin Jazz Sextet
Gil Suarez & The Hi-Latins
Louis Small & The Latinaires
Rene Grand y Su Combo
Orchestra Electra with Phil Diaz
Stevie Colon Y su Charanga
Johnny Colon
Charlie Palmieri
Jose "Chombo" Silva
Tito Ramos
Joe Bataan
Frankie Ruiz
Brandy Cruz y su Ritmo Alegre
Earnie Agosto y La Conspiracion
Dwight Brewster and Jungle Rat
Chuck Davis Afro-American Dance Co.
Olatunji Drummers and Dancers
Fessor Funk and the Queens 8th st. Funk Band
Soul Psychedelics
Gloria Gaynor
Meco Menardo
Dave Baretto
Mozambique with Louis Small
Stagger Lee
Al Downing
Simon Said......Now this is from 1965 to 1976.....I will post my next page from 1976 to 86 in Los Angeles...."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:52 pm

at this time I was also went into the military from 1968 to 71....and performed overseas with other bands...to be listed later...."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Isaac » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:57 am

If we are going to invite a guest to our space here we should above all be be civil.
We should get Pancho back here.
I would recommend leaving out the word celebrity and all it's plastic
hollywood connotations and focus on the "Professional" aspect of that person - In other words,
someone who by concensus has paid their dues and built a percussion career.
Of course we regulary learn from each other here,
and there are probably some Pros that are already here lurking
and not posting. ..please come forward if you read this !!

We could do a Q & A with them on a given day, find out about their
current projects, what their best playing experience was. who inspired them to learn...
their practice tips...about the ups & downs of the biz, etc. Keeping it respectful.

We could start with our own Johnny Conga who's paid his dues like crazy,
and then see who else we can get. We don't need a resume..we already
know you!!! You maybe want to be the moderator?

I'm also a writer for the "World Percussion & Rhythm Magazine" out
of Chicago and recently did an interview with Bongocero Joe Gonzalez
(Mario Bauza, Chico Ofarrill, the Conga Kings, Bobby Matos) due out in the next issue,
and an extensive interview with Conguero/Composer/Bandleader Samuel Torres.
( Not printed yet). Once the Joe Gonzalez article is in print in the next few weeks,
I'll re-post it here. There's a lot of honesty he reveals about the hard work
and sacrifice it takes to make it.

Each and any guy(or gal) who is brave enough, talented enough and trained & disciplined enough to risk
making percussion their liveliehood deserves our utmost attention. They are
far and few between. I consider them heroes.(hopefully not martyrs) .
We can learn and get inspired from them to
raise up our own level a notch or two.

Isaac
funkytradition@yahoo.com
Isaac

Next

Return to Comments and Suggestions