Drum-related political discussions on this forum

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Postby jorge » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:51 am

I don't think it is appropriate to completely shun "politics" in this forum. Historically, the drum has played a major role in the politics of liberation and the struggles against slavery, racism, and political repression in Cuba, and in other places. For centuries in Cuba, much of the drumming (and "folkloric" music as well as African based religious institutions) have been ABOUT politics. For reasons of survival, much of the politics have been disguised as religion, especially Christian sincretizations of African religions and secret religious institutions like Abakua and Ifa. Fundamentally, much of our musical heritage has been about the politics of survival. For example, the Abakua have been a dominant force in Cuban politics for over a century, similar to the Masons in other countries like the US. Without the drum, this would never have happened. Without the political forces driving the perpetuation and expansion of Abakua, much of our drumming heritage would never have happened. There would have been no Mongo, no Muñequitos, no Afrocuba, no Papines, no Julito Collazo, no Aguabella, no Tata Guines, etc... The drums we play are closely intertwined with politics and history, mainly about the politics of liberation.

For those reasons, I urge you all to accept political discussions when they are related to both the drum as well as past or current day liberation struggles against slavery, racism, and political repression. If people also want to have other political or religious/metaphysical discussions that are not directly related to the drum and its history, those could be included under the Miscellanea heading. When discussions in other forums digress into unrelated politics, the threads could be moved to Miscellanea without hard feelings.

What do people think?
jorge

Postby 109-1176549166 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:27 am

Jorge,

Hear, hear!

Thanks a lot for articulating my thoughts on politics and religion. No sense remaining as ostriches burying our heads in the sand. For too long, I believe that we, in this forum (as well as in many other forums), have been in a denial mode with regard to the relationship between drumming and politics/religion.

Remember the songs of Bob Dylan, Bob Marley and Paul Simon? Many of them had obvious political messages. Remember the use of the African tribal drums? They were used sometimes used at war to complement war chants. What about Santeria? Wasn't it closely associated with drumming?

Discussion of politics and religion per se, in an academic sense, can even be very educational and enlightening.

I believe that the limits to these discussions are as follows: (1) There should be absolutely no proselytizing; and (2) there should be no demeaning and insulting of another person's political and religious convictions. But, isn't (2) already being required of us anyway, given the apparent total taboo against any political and/or religious discussion in this forum?

Edited By mjtuazon on 1187910823
109-1176549166

Postby congamyk » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:27 pm

This belongs under the Comments and Suggestions Forum heading.
congamyk

Postby jorge » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:48 pm

Congamyk,
I specifically chose the Open Discussion forum because I believe the kind of political discussions I am talking about are central to AfroCuban folkloric drumming, and some other forms of drumming as well - they are not a side issue. Other political or metaphysical/religious discussions should go under Miscellanea, which according to the brief descriptions in the home page, seems to fit better than Comments and Suggestions.

Miscellanea
... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Comments and Suggestions
It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Jorge
jorge

Postby Jongo » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:12 pm

I read a very interesting article on Brasilian music and the politics of resistance that much of this music was born out of. Capoeira and drumming for example were done together so that the martial art could be disguised as a dance and the song lyrics would reflect defiance. It was a long time ago that I read that article but I will try to go back and find it to re-read and maybe post some of the info.
Jongo

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:40 am

Politics and Religion do not mix nor really belong on this forum.
You were not here to see what happened in previous discussions, its been proven over the years that it has no real place here.
Beliefs are strong and arguements arrise constantly.
Sorry, but if you wish to discuss politics or religion, then please join the relevant online community for that.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby CongaTick » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:53 pm

Behind you 100% Abakua. If you can't restrain a propensity to discuss politics, religion, racial issues... this ain't your place. If you're blood is stiired by a casual remark or reference, just hit the IGNORE button in your brain.
CongaTick

Postby congamyk » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:48 pm

~edit~

congaplace rocks

Edited By congamyk on 1188424215
congamyk

Return to Comments and Suggestions