YOUR HANDS: THE COMPLETE OWNERS MANUAL

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Re: YOUR HANDS: THE COMPLETE OWNERS MANUAL

Postby skinslapper » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:48 am

I used to have verry calloussed hands with cracks and so . That time i played 4/or5 jamsessions a week, unamplified !(in the "80 s)
And afterwards piss on my hands and let it dry .( My teacher Mr Kofy Ayivor told me that! ) I have used idontknowhowemany meters of tape !
One day some guy told me to put vaseline (Perolium jelly) on my hands 1/2 hour before playing .
Now i have soft hands . No calluoses at all .

My girlfreind loves i too . I used to rip her stockings with my caloussed hands :mrgreen:!
Unintentionally afcourse !!!

Before i gave up smoking i used to pee blood after playing . Has anybody else that experience ?
Know that i gave up tabacco it never happend again . I always found this verry strange . My teacher told me that was normal tough !
Last edited by skinslapper on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skinslapper

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:01 pm

skinslapper wrote:I used to pissed on my hands and let it dry

Remind me never to shake your hand :mrgreen:
KING CONGA

Postby skinslapper » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:50 pm

Never shake my hand !!!
skinslapper

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:36 am

In regards to taping the fingers w/ sports tape : I use tape as preventative protection before my fingers split from over exspansion caused by hard playing. It is important to know that playing sucks moisture from the skin & callouses making them less elastic & at some point the skin can not expand from impact and this causes spliting. I seldom bother w/ topical lotions since they are only on the surface and playing will extract moisture anyway. When I use sports tape, I tear it to resemble a letter H so the wider part covers the playing surface of the fingers and I can wrap aroun the finger tip and the section behind the first knuckle leaving the knuckle join exsposed & able to bend naturaly. Be sure not to wrap to tightly since it cuts circulation. Touch your finger tips to your cheek, if it is cool or cold, it means your blood supply is cut off ! Loosen the tape ! Make a fist and feel how tight the fingers are. Secondly...the LP article is funny since they actualy designed a bongo w/ a sharp sound edge ( like a snare drum ) for a hand drum. The sharp edge is hurtful to hands by this lame design ! I complained for years about this ! I also complained to the Gon Bops company in the 90's Molinari era for designing a simular sharp edge on congas. These are HAND drums you guys ! Also....the heads tune easier on rounded sound edges, thats why old style calf skin drums used them. I have in emergency situations, used electrical tape on fingers but do not recomend tape that is not flexible since it cuts circulation. Band aid strips will wear off & slip off. I once watched as Mongo Santamaria was doing a solo on " Afro Blue" at the old Pioneer Banque" in Pioneer square in Seattle in 1974 or so...his entire finger was taped w/ band aids, as the whole tube of tape sliped off & flew into the air to land at my table, I thought it was his finger ! ? OMG ! ? lol
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:51 pm

A friend of mine just sent me what he calls "Conga-Jow" it is a liquid that is used on the hands by Martial Artists in China to toughen their hands and skin..I have been using it, for about a month, and it seems to be working as my skin is not splitting or drying up...none of my 'scar tissue' of my fingers is opening up and it does seem to have some curing properties to it...if interested let me know and i will put u in touch with my friend who makes it and sells it...after 46 years of hitting skin, this seems pretty good to me and I havent had to tape my fingers at all since using it..
2011-02-08 10-49-17.277.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby Anonimo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:51 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Last edited by Anonimo on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anonimo

Postby Psych1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:22 pm

Well, if Candido wasn't the first he was certainly the role model that kept the tape companies in business. I heard, many years ago, that he had serious splits in his fingers.
Psych1

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:11 pm

Now the story AS i KNOW it why Mongo left Puente..was that Mongo had asked Puente to put his name on the marquee, and told Puente that people were also coming to see HIM play with Puente(which Puente wasnt too happy about)I have to read the new book by Joe Conzo on Puente just out now)...plus I think that after awhile Puente wanted a time keeper which Mongo is but Mongo would do fills and stuff in the music that brought attention to him...then He had heard that Cal Tjader was looking for new percussionist's and him and Willie got the call and moved from NY to California to join Tjaders band and that is when Baretto joined Puentes band..the Tjader gig lasted about 3 years Willie stayed on the east coast for the rest of his life and Mongo went back to NYcity....

Leedy of course Mongo was used to 'upbeat' tempos c'mon Bro! and anyone who was gigging almost 7 nights a week at top form would garner some serious callouses..and split fingers..I dont care who you are...I know I've been there done that...I saw Ray Baretto bleed one night on a gig in NY, all over his congas...he had no tape/band aids on...

ps...the reason why Jose Madera became Puente's conguero(though not recognized as a good one by local cats in NY, who wanted that gig) was as they used to say "ese tipo un caballo".....he can ride tumbao all night and that is what Puente wanted and he got it with Jose Madera...and he stayed with Puente for over 25 years and eventually took over Puentes band, when he passed...Puente 's conga players were starting with Mongo then Baretto, then Madamo Diaz then Madera...
JohnnyConga

Postby Anonimo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:50 pm

Anonimo

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:38 am

My wife lived on Myrtle ave in Brooklyn and she came up with 2 names one Club Casablanca (I remember one in the Bronx)..and the other name was Club Paradise...Thanks for filling up the gaps with Tito's conga players.I knew Madamo from NY and then ran into him in L.A. as he was working with Johnny Martinez.. ..Madera did the job for Puente and Puente was happy with him to keep him until the end..
JohnnyConga

Postby Anonimo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:42 am

Anonimo

Previous

Return to Comments and Suggestions