I'm Back - Comments and Suggestions

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Postby umannyt » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:02 am

I'm finally able to sign up again--under my new Gmail address and user ID--by request and for the sake of my many CongaBoard friends who had continued to communicate with me on the side by direct email!

I'd been very busy during the past few months with weekly rehearsals, live gigs and new songwriting activities with my all-original blues/rock band, now renamed "blueZapple". As "Tattoo Blue" we had a namesake in the Bay Area and felt that the place is simply too small for 2 bands with identical names. We initially thought that the other band had disbanded, so we kept our old name, but only to find out that they had not done so after all.

I'd also been busy starting both my own Multiply.com and MySpace.com websites, doing cover song demo recordings inside my home recording studio and doing personal live gigs both as myself and freelancing with various cover bands.

Anyway, I'd say that, overall, I'm glad to be back!

Edited By umannyt on 1197114962
umannyt

Postby yambu321 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:37 pm

MANNY, NICE TO HAVE YOU BACK, BRO! IT'S BEEN A LONG WHILE. I'LL BE LOOKING OUT FOR YOUR FUTURE POSTS. :D

Edited By yambu321 on 1197139552
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby vinnieL » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:35 pm

Glad to see you are back Manny!

Edited By vinnieL on 1197135373
vinnieL

Postby Congadelica » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:02 pm

Welcome Home Brother . Good to see you been busy .

marco
Congadelica

Postby umannyt » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:13 am

yambu321 wrote:MANNY, NICE TO HAVE YOU BACK, BRO! IT'S BEEN A LONG WHILE. I'LL BE LOOKING OUT FOR YOUR FUTURE POSTS. :D

Hey Charlie,

Yup, it's been a while! It's nice to be back and be able to respond to everyone's posts again! Thanks for your very kind words!

Edited By umannyt on 1197166474
umannyt

Postby umannyt » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:47 am

vinnieL wrote:Glad to see you are back Manny!

Hola Vinnie,

Glad to be back, too, and be able to respond to your posts.

Actually, I've been lurking occasionally here in CongaBoard and one of the 1st things that I read about was your finally getting your Islas.

Man, they look awesome!!! I'm sure they sound awesome, too! I know 'cause the skins on mine have finally settled and it's like they just came really alive! All you get from each drum is a big fat, warm sound with a pleasant sustain (from the sweet spot) but not a ring!

Not to sound overly-redundant, but I'm extremely happy with my Islas! Other drums may be more perfectly made (machined) but they are significantly more expensive and, more often than not, require a much longer production (waiting) time, but Islas are "perfect in their imperfection" (file marks, etc.)

IMO, as an owner of a small car dealership and a sports car and racing enthusiast, Islas are the Ferraris, Porsches or Lamborghinis of congas compared to the Lexus or even the Roll Royces or Bentleys of other makes.

But, give me a Ferrari (that's why I had mine stained Rosewood Red), Porsche or Lamborghini anytime! I wanna drive very fast and yet stay safe!!!

And Islas are definitely high-performance drums! I find them (either canoe or cherry wood) to be very conveniently light in weight. And, like a Ferrari, they've definitely got character--and lots of it!

Islas are master-class drums that one is not reluctant--or even afraid--to take out to gigs and rumbas, lest they get scratched or dinged. Although, I'm not a rumbero (yet), IMO, they're a true conguero's or rumbero's tumbadoras.

I'd make a bold leap and say that compared to other significantly more expensive, more cosmetically-perfect drums the difference in sound would be like splitting hair! And it's very possible that Islas may even sound superior, which is really what should be the main consideration or bottom line for acquiring any musical instrument.

And this is not even to mention Super Mario's hard-to-beat, super-warm customer service--before, during and after he makes your drums. Heck, I even called him up at past 10 p.m. this week and he was as enthusiastic with me as probably when he started his day. And, believe or not, to this day, I haven't even met Super Mario in person, much more receive any commission from him for singing praises for Islas! LOL!!!

So, big congrats, brother, on your Islas. You bought right the first time. Based on your life story that you shared with us before, you absolutely deserve them! And I'm sure that you're one extremely happy camper!

Best regards!

Edited By umannyt on 1197175708
umannyt

Postby umannyt » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:57 am

Congadelica wrote:Welcome Home Brother . Good to see you been busy .

marco

Hola Marco,

Thanks so much for the very warm welcome and very kind words! Yes, it's good to be busy and productive as well!

Best regards,

Edited By umannyt on 1197170007
umannyt

Postby congamyk » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:22 am

Manny welcome back.

The forum is more diverse and interesting with you here.
You love the drum and the music, this is where you should be.

Edited By congamyk on 1197174173
congamyk

Postby umannyt » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:43 am

congamyk wrote:Manny welcome back.

The forum is more diverse and interesting with you here.
You love the drum and the music, this is where you should be.

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for the kind words! Yup, I did have some very interesting, even colorful, exchanges with people in the past. But, none of it was really personal on my part. Rather, it was more to learn from others and, in turn, to share with others too.

I really don't mind having any of these again in the future as long as we're all open to one another, do it in a rational manner and can also take what we dish out--in other words, play fair.

And at the end of the day, hopefully we can all be civil (even fraternal) enough to invite anyone for some happy hour drinks and music, of course, preferably Afro-Cuban Latin and/or Latin Jazz! LOL!!!

Again, thanks for the warm welcome, bro!

Edited By umannyt on 1197175534
umannyt

Postby pavloconga » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:09 pm

Hey welcome back manny!
Good to see you back and look forward to your involvement.
ciao
pavlo
pavloconga

Return to Comments and Suggestions