My Reduced Rating - Rational Basis?

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Postby umannyt » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:10 am

Bros,

I just noticed that my rating just came down from a "5" to "3.66". Not that I really care, but I'm really more curious as to the why and not the what. So, may I know the rational basis for someone reducing my rating?

And can that someone be man or "macho" enough to stand up and give me the rational explanation for doing so?

I kind of was concerned about this happening when I signed back up MERELY 2 days ago 'cause I wouldn't be surprised if there are still some unreconciling sentiments harboring out there.

But, the fact of the matter is that I've signed up using an entirely different email address and user ID after being unsubscribed for several months. So, IMO, technically speaking, I'm a new subscriber. It wasn't like I've just unsubscribed my old email address and immediately re-subscribed using my new email address.

And, surely I could not have posted anything offensive or obnoxious during the 2 short days that I've been subscribed that would merit such a reduction in rating! You guys look up all of my posts since Dec. 8 and you be the judge.

If my opinion is asked, I'd say that, if its possible let's switch or toggle off this rating system. I fail to see any real benefit in having it. So what good does having a "5" really do for someone, except maybe inflate one's ego?

On the contrary, it can even promote exclusivity and elitism within the CongaBoard forum. And it can be used by some subscriber(s) as a "weapon" to get even with others they don't like--even for irrational, immature reasons.

Edited By umannyt on 1197340267
umannyt

Postby Whopbamboom » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:34 am

LOL, the same thing happened to me... and I couldn't care less. There are so many more important things to worry about.
Whopbamboom

Postby umannyt » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:46 am

Whopbamboom wrote:LOL, the same thing happened to me... and I couldn't care less. There are so many more important things to worry about.

LOL! I know it's really unimportant. But, the philosopher's curiosity in me always has this strong urge to be satisfied.
umannyt

Postby OLSONGO » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:48 am

Same here, LOL :) :( :D :p :;)
I really think that most members here know best.
To me is just mere decoration.
What I would like to see is that the member giving the
rating be brought up to the front , and that he briefly give his
reasoning, be it positive or negative. Otherwise, again... it doesn't mean a thing.

Paz,
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby blango » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:38 am

and then they were four.....
blango

Postby umannyt » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:47 am

OLSONGO wrote:What I would like to see is that the member giving the
rating be brought up to the front , and that he briefly give his
reasoning, be it positive or negative.

Paz,
Olsongo

Olsongo,

You hit the nail on the head, bro!

As I've basically said, doing it incognito potentially gives somebody the opportunity to arbitrarily rate others without accountability. In other words, there's appears to be no mechanism for preventing any abuse.

If anyone's going to rate anybody positively or negative let him have the "balls" (assuming it's a he, LOL!) to explain why. Otherwise, let's do away with this basically useless, IMO, rating system.

And what are we rating anyone for anyway: percussion playing skills (not always possible 'cause no one's required to submit a video or audio of his/her playing skills), personality (likeability of dislikeability), brown-nosing or ass-kissing (LOL!), etc?
umannyt

Postby umannyt » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:50 am

Or perhaps, there's at least someone who strongly believes that only God deserves a "5"! LOL!
umannyt

Postby umannyt » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:54 am

blango wrote:and then they were four.....

Hola Blango,

Not that it really matters, thanks anyway for the 0.37 gain in points for at least 3 of us in this thread! LOL!

Your gesture is still appreciated.
umannyt

Postby congamyk » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:32 am

Try not to worry about it Manny.

What is this "member rating" even doing in an open-minded forum?
A forum should be about ideas, not cliques and politics.

Who uses this feature? I bet it's the same pukes over and over.
I wish the moderators would send every member a message listing all of the negative voters lined up in a row.

If you don't like someone's ideas, instead of dropping their bogus "member rating"... be a real man and debate the idea head on.

I've learned that you can only please half the people you know.
The other half will dislike you, will be jealous or just be indifferent.
It doesn't matter what you do or say.
The only way to avoid it is to have no opinion at all.

I choose to have an opinion so deal with it. :D

Edited By congamyk on 1197354831
congamyk

Postby yambu321 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:36 am

I AGREE WITH ALL MY FELLOW CONGABOARD MEMBERS ABOVE. THERE IS NO POINT, IN HAVING THIS RATING SYSTEM. WE NIETHER GAIN NOR LOSE ANY REAL CREDIBILITY. PEOPLE KNOW WHAT THEY READ, AND UNDERSTAND WHAT IS BEING SAID, VERY WELL. WEATHER THEY AGREE OR DISAGREE, LIKE IT OR NOT LIKE IT. IT'S ABOUT SHARING INFO. AND SINCE WE ARE ALL HUMAN, WE ARE NOT PERFECT. I MUST ADMIT, AT FIRST I FELT GOOD ABOUT HAVING A 5 RATING, BUT NOW IT SEEMS AS THOUGH I'M EVEN PROUDER TO HAVE CLOSE TO A 2, HAHAHAHAHA. I GUESS I'M DOING MY PART IN THIS FORUM. OTHERWISE, I WOULD STILL BE SAFE WITH A 5. :D :;): :cool:

Edited By yambu321 on 1197367765
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby umannyt » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:14 am

congamyk wrote:Try not to worry about it Manny.

What is this "member rating" even doing in an open-minded forum?
A forum should be about ideas, not cliques and politics.

Who uses this feature? I bet it's the same pukes over and over.
I wish the moderators would send every member a message listing all of the negative voters lined up in a row.

If you don't like someone's ideas, instead of dropping their bogus "member rating"... be a real man and debate the idea head on.

I've learned that you can only please half the people you know.
The other half will dislike you, will be jealous or just be indifferent.
It doesn't matter what you do or say.
The only way to avoid it is to have no opinion at all.

I choose to have an opinion so deal with it. :D

Mike,

Hear, hear to everything to said!

Yup, there's just no way for me not to have an opinion if I see something seemingly irrational. Most of the time, I just gotta know why.

Still, I'm definitely not one to take the law into his own hands. Therefore, I much prefer using "brains rather than brawn", like all civilized people are expected to do.

Thanks, bro!

Edited By umannyt on 1197368145
umannyt

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:47 am

No conspiracy theory.
Its a feature the forum software has automatically, just like editing, PM etc.
No one has dropped your rating. You cant even drop someones rating.
If someone rates you 'up' it stays at that until someone rates you higher, though, for some reason the rating does drop pending on how frequent or infrequent you post.
I had somehow gotten to 5 and when i left on tour and was posting very little, it dropped again.

I agree its completely useless. Bears no reflection on how valuable a forum member one is.

If the masses want it gone, then I will see if I can disable the feature if everyone seems to be in agreement.

All good by me.

And yes, welcome back.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1197370139
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:59 am

Added, I was testing the feature and it appears one can lower someone elses rating. ???

Seems a pointless feature to have. If we had a traders section and someone was a dedicated online trader, then yes a rating system would be good. But for regular users, I see it as pointless.

Im all for disabling it.

Thoughts?
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby vinnieL » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:15 am

Brother i say do away with it it is useless. We all know how to sift through the information given by different members and take what we want and ignore what we don't feel is beneficial.
vinnieL

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:20 am

I agree Vinnie.

From what Ive read no one cares for it, Id like to hear from more members so as to not upset anyone, not that I think it will.

As I said, Im for doing away with it.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1197373164
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Next

Return to Comments and Suggestions