Dario (Omelenko) on Congas - No le Pegue A La Negra

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Re: Dario (Omelenko) on Congas - No le Pegue A La Negra

Postby pcastag » Sun May 01, 2011 7:49 am

yayaitoconga wrote:Omelenko,

Miami is not a city without gigs, i keep in touch with many friends that are in Orquestas that have relocated in Miami (adolecentes, Grupo Caneo,Guayacan del ayer). that city is a melting pot with latin people, theres salsa & merengue everywhere, there are plenty of gigs out there, you just have to be good enough to get in, and obviously with the video you have posted here, your skills on congas aren't up to par yet, hence why you have to gig with "buena vista social club"

La critica. Dang, what an ass.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Omelenko1 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:26 pm

Yayaitoconga,

Show me what you can do. That song calls for straight marcha, that's all you can do. As far as Miami, there are no clubs here, I been here 49 yrs. Show me what you can do, asshole.
Omelenko1

Postby willie55 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:57 pm

When you guys are talking about bands playing with track music, what exactly is that? a bass track, percussion track and by doing this are you not held to the confinement of when the track will end, eliminating solo opportunities.. my question is only in regards to full band situations..as a solo or duo performer i have played along with recorded music all the time at restaurants and house parties..@yayitoconga make sure your house is in order before trying to give critical feedback..
willie55

Postby caballoballo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:40 am

Saludos from somewhere in the planet. Some may think playing alone recorded tracks in groups which we call sequencers is easy. It is not, first the tempo is fix and if you are not carefull (salsa playing )the clave may jump,also you need to know many songs. Then there is always a back & forth flow of the tempo. In a Salsa sequencer you have to fix your playing on the conga march and the chourus to stay on tempo otherwise you will be going back and fourth . Those couple times I have played that way it been my luck that the Bass player have the writen chart (notation) into the computer and I can follow if the song is unknown.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby burke » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi JC - could you tell me which book it is you are referring too?

http://www.rebecamauleon.com/pub.html

Its a bit hard to tell from the brief descriptions which one is the one without percussion

"Rebeca Mauleon put out a 24 trak play along CD..just the rhythm section to play along with..."

Thanks

D
Burke
burke

Postby Thebreeze » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:39 pm

I guess it would be harder to play over a track than to play without one. I never tried it so I don't know but after reading this and thinking about it maybe it is harder this way . Very interesting . Wonder if others have done this before?
Thebreeze

Postby MACHITO » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:00 pm

I JUST JOINED THIS FORUM. BUT BEFORE I DID, I DID READ IT A LOT. IM AN AVID PLAYER. BUT IF IT WERENT FOR THIS FORUM, I WOULDNT BE DOING WHAT IM DOING TODAY.
AT THAT TIME A FEW YEARS AGO, I WASNT AWARE OF PEOPLE COLLECTING VINTAGE CONGAS. BUYING OLD/VINTAGE CONGAS AND REFINISHING THEM. AS WELL AS POSTING THE FINISHED PICS FOR PEOPLE WHO APPRECIATE TO SEE. WELL I HAVE WHAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A "CUBAN TUMBADORA" THAT I PURCHASED ON EBAY YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS BEING TAUGHT BY A GREAT TEACHER. ANYWAY WHEN I RECEIVED IT, IT HAD MULTIPLE CRACKS IN IT. SO TO THE BASEMENT IT WENT HOPING THAT ONE DAY ILL FIND SOMEONE TO FIX IT. AFTER READING THIS FORUM I DECIDED TO TAKE IT UPON MYSELF TO FIX IT, (IF IT TRULY IS CUBAN IT SHOULD BE MADE TO SING) AFTER SO MANY YEARS IN THE BASEMENT. IM IN THAT PROCESS NOW. AND WHEN IM FINISHED ILL POST THE BEFORE DURING AND AFTER PICS. THE POINT IS THAT I TRULY ENJOY THIS FORUM. IT MOTIVATED ME TO DO SOMETHING IVE NEVER DONE BEFORE. BEFORE THIS FORUM I DIDNT KNOW WHAT VALJE, JCR, MOPERC, SOL, SOS, VINTAGE GON BOPS ETC. WERE. HARD TO BELIEVE I KNOW. BUT IM SURE THERE ARE MANY MORE LIKE ME OUT THERE. NOW I BUY ALL TYPES OF CONGAS TO REFINISH AND KEEP. ILL POST THOSE AS WELL. BTW, OMELENKO(DARIO) I DONT KNOW YOU OR YOU ME, BUT THANKS FOR THE GON BOPS SUPER TUMBA AND CUBAN BONGO I PURCHASED FROM YOU ON EBAY. AND DONT LISTEN TO THE IDIOT WHO MADE THE IGNORANT TRAK COMMENTS. ANY TRUE CONGERO WOULD HOLD BACK THOSE COMMENTS. HAVE SOME EFFING RESPECT FOR THE ONES WHO CAME BEFORE BEFORE US AND PIONEERED OR KEPT THIS ART FORM ALIVE. WE ALL KNOW ITS ON LIFE SUPPORT AS IT IS NOW. THIS SHOULD ONLY BE BE POSITIVE FEEDBACK. I KNOW I WOULDNT, OR ANYONE FOR THAT MATTER, WANT TO POST A VIDEO TO GET SUCH IGNORANT FEEDBACK. HOW CAN YOU SHOW WHAT YOU HAVE IF YOURE PLAYING TO A TRAK DUMB*&%. THATS WHY I LOVE RUMBAS. ILL END THIS NOW. DONT WANT TO BORE ANYONE. NOW THAT IM PART OF THIS FORUM FAMILY, LETS KEEP UP THE GOOD AND POSITIVE WORK GENTLEMEN.
QUE SIGA LA RUMBA!!!!!!
MACHITO
MACHITO

Postby KING CONGA » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:30 pm

MACHITO Welcome! Congratulations on your Gon Bop’s acquisition, those are great drums.
I totally agree regarding your description of this forum. I love the wealth of information gathered here and the wonderful camaraderie that takes place.
You will find that most, if not all, of the current members will share the same joy and interest that you have in your drums and in your projects.
Please be sure to post pictures of your drums/projects soon, we would love to see them.
Take care and welcome once again.
Cheers
K.C.
KING CONGA

Postby MACHO123 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:59 pm

HI EVERYONE, OR AT THIS POINT, ANYONE WHO STILL READS THIS FORUM. IVE BEEN A MEMBER FOR OVER A YEAR, ALTHOUGH BEFORE THAT I ALWAYS READ IT WITHOUT REGISTERING. I FINALLY DID REGISTER LAST YEAR MADE A COUPLE OF POSTS THEN STOPPED. WELL I HAD TO RE-REGISTER BECAUSE I FORGOT MY PASSWORD. THE OLD USERNAME WAS MACHITO AND AS YOU CAN SEE THE NEW ONE DOESNT DIFFER MUCH AS MACHO123. JUST LETTING YOU GUYS KNOW ITS THE SAME PERSON. THE REASON IS THAT IVE READ HOW SOME MEMBERS FEEL ABOUT NEWBIES POSTING THINGS FOR SALE BEFORE MAKING ANY POSTS OR CONTRIBUTING TO THE FORUM. I DID POST SOMETHING IN THE INSTR. FOR SALE SECTION BUT IM NOT SELLING ANYTHING, I WANT TO BUY SOMETHING. I DONT KNOW IF THE SAME CRITERIA APPLIES FOR BUYING.
I WANT TO BUY AN AFROSOUND TUMBA MADE BY "EL CHINO" FROM MIAMI FLORIDA. I ONLY KNOW ABOUT THIS CONGA BECAUSE I READ ABOUT IT ON THIS FORUM SOME TIME AGO. AGAIN, I HAVE TO THANK PEOPLE LIKE JOHNNY CONGA, BURKE, KING CONGA, OMELENKO ESPECIALLY FOR HIS GRAND KNOWLEDGE OF "OUR" WORLD OF TUMBADORAS, AND MANY OTHERS WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THIS FORUM FOR NEWBIES LIKE ME TO LEARN NEW THINGS. I REMEMBER READING THE POSTS ABOUT THE AFROSOUND CONGA AND HOW ONE THOUGHT IT WAS CUBAN AND THE OTHER THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE MEXICAN. THEN OMELENKO SCHOOLED US ALL ON THE FACT THAT IT WAS AN AFROSOUND PERCUSSION CONGA MADE IN MIAMI BY "EL CHINO" WHO'S FROM CUBA. AND HOW MANY HE MADE (LESS THAN ONE HUNDRED SETS). WELL TO SHORTEN THE STORY, I WAS ON CRAIGSLIST ONE DAY LOOKING FOR CONGAS TO BUY AND REFINISH. BY THE WAY, I DID REFINISH THAT CUBAN TUMBADORA I HAD THROWN IN THE BASEMENT A FEW YEARS AGO. IT TURNS OUT THAT IT WAS CUBAN. AN OLD CUBAN TACK DRUM (STILL HAS THE TACK MARKS ON IT) WITH THE SHOULDER STRAP MARKS STILL ON IT. I ONLY KNOW THIS BECAUSE I READ ABOUT THE OLD CUBAN TACK DRUMS ON THIS FORUM, KOOL RIGHT? I THINK SO. ILL ONLY POST PICS IF SOMEONE REQUESTS IT. ANYWAY, I PUT SOME LP HARDWARE I HAD LAYING AROUND AND CALLED MANITO FOR A SKIN. MAN DID THAT BADBOY SING. AND IT SANG SO MUCH NICER WHEN I RECENTLY REDID THE BEARING EDGE. THE EDGE WAS FLAT. I MEAN LIKE A PANCAKE. SO OF COURSE, AFTER READING ABOUT BEARING EDGES ON THIS FORUM, AND HOW THEY SHOULD BE 45 DEGREES FOR MAXIMUM SOUND QUALITY, I DECIDED TO SHAVE THE EDGE ON THIS CONGA. AFTER I DID, I AGAIN CALLED MANITO FOR A NEW SKIN AND ASKED FOR HIS OPINION ON THE BEARING EDGE JOB I DID. I SENT HIM A PIC OF THE CONGA. HE SAID IT WAS SPOT ON AND SENT ME A NEW SKIN. WELL DO I HAVE TO REALLY SAY THAT THE RESULT WAS EXTRAORDINARY. I COULDNT BELIEVE IT WAS THE SAME CONGA. NOW GEETING BACK TO CRAIGSLIST. I WAS IN THE CHICAGO LISTINGS AND I CAME ACROSS A CONGA THAT I KNOW I HAD SEEN SOMEWHERE ELSE BUT COULDNT PINPOINT IT. AFTER REPEATINGLY LOOKING AT THE SIDEPLATES FOR DAYS, I WENT TO TONY STERNAD'S WEBSITE AND IT HIT ME. I COULDNT BELIEVE THAT I WAS STARING A VERY RARE AFROSOUND CONGA. AND FOR A 40 YEAR OLD TUB, IT WAS IN GOOD CONDITION. IT STILL HAD THE STICKER AFROSOUND ON IT!!! AND ITS NOT THE ONE OMELENKO POSTED. ITS ALL BLACK WITH WHITE BLOCK LETTERING. ANYWAY, I BOUGHT AND REFINISHED IT. I HAVE TO SAY THAT THE CAOBA WOODGRAIN IS BY FAR THE MOST BEAUTIFUL OF ALL WOODS. OF COURSE I REDID THE BEARING EDGE, CALLED MANITO FOR ONE OF HIS SKINS AND WHEN I PLAYED IT, I ALMOST CRIED. HONESTLY, I THINK I WAS FEELING WHAT THE CONGA WAS FEELING. IT APPRECIATED THAT I BROUGHT IT BACK TO LIFE AND IT WAS LETTING ME KNOW. I TRULY BELIEVE THAT THERES A BOND THATS CREATED BETWEEN THE INSTRAMENT AND THE PLAYER. I TALK TO MY CONGAS WHEN I REFINISH THEM. I RUB THEM THROUGHOUT THE PROCESS AND REASSURE THEM THAT EVERYTHING IS GONNA BE JUST FINE. THAT EVERYTHING THATS BROKEN WILL BE FIXED. AND WHEN IT TIME FOR THEM TO SING, MAN DO THEY SING FOR YOU, AND THEY DO BECAUSE THEY LOVE AND APPRECIATE WHAT YOUVE DONE. ITS A SPIRITUAL THING AND I BELIEVE IT. I KNOW OMELENKO SAID IT WASNT A SUPERIOR DRUM LIKE A JR TIRADO OR SOS ETC., BUT I BEG TO DIFFER. WHEN YOU HAVE A CONGA THAT GIVES YOU A FULL RANGE OF WOODY, NUTTY, BUTTERY TONES WITH MIND BLOWING SLAPS, ITS DISPUTABLE. I HAVE 27 CONGAS AT HOME TO COMPARE THAT TO. IN MY OPINION, ITS SOUND, BUT NOT CONSTRUCTION, IS UP THERE WITH THE LIKES OF SOS, VALJE, TIMBA, HR. AND SURPASS THE SOUND OF GB SUPER SERIES, DEL CIELO, AND LP. IF I DIDNT MENTION IT, I DONT OWN IT SO I CANT COMPARE IT. I ONLY HAVE A JR TIRADO 13" TUMBA SO I CANT COMPARE THAT BUT IM SURE JR's ARE WAY BETTER FROM WHAT I'VE READ. I ALSO HAVE A FEW NO NAME DRUMS FROM CUBA THAT SOUND AMAZING BUT DONT COMPARE.
SO THIS IS WHY IM LOOKING FOR THE AFROSOUND TUMBA. SO I CAN HAVE A MATCH. HOPEFULLY ONE OF MY FORUM BROTHERS HAS ONE THEY WONT MIND PARTING WITH OR ARE WILLING TO TRADE FOR. I DONT KNOW HOW TO PM. IN FACT I DONT KNOW IF I POSTED THIS IN THE RIGHT PLACE FOR PEOPLE TO READ, BUT FOR THE RECORD;
MY NAME IS ANGEL ROLDAN, IM MARRIED TO MY EXCEPTIONAL WIFE JENNIFER.
IM PUERTO RICAN, 46 YEARS OLD AND LIVE IN BROOKLYN, NY.
IM AND XRAY TECHNOLOGIST BY PROFESSION AND THE REST OF MY TIME I DEDICATE TO THE ART OF CONGA PLAYING, COLLECTING AND REFINISHING. I EFFING LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LASTLY MY NUMBER IS 917 207-2710. MUCH LOVE AND HAPPINESS TO ALL AND "QUE SIGA LA RUMBA"
MACHO123

Postby MACHO123 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:13 pm

I FORGOT TO POST A OF THE AFROSOUND CONGA. LET ME SEE IF I CAN DO THIS FOR THE FIRST TIME.
Attachments
afrosoundconga.zip
(2.71 MiB) Downloaded 488 times
MACHO123

Postby Mike » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:29 pm

Welcome (again) to the forum, Angel! :)

Wow, those Afrosound are beautiful congas. What kind of wood are they?
Looks a bit like spruce to me.
I do hope you will find a matching tumba, although
that might be hard.

BTW for the sake of readability, I would advise you
not to use caps and make some paragraphs. :wink:
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby MACHO123 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:43 am

Salutations Mike:

Thanks for the response and the compliment on the Drum. And the readability tip. I appreciate and welcome constructive criticism. Thank you. Unfortunately it's just one drum. I sent two pics. I know what you mean about finding another one. I was fortunate and blessed to find this one. And like I mentioned before, I didn't know about them till I read about them here and on Tony Sternads site. With 200 or less made, according to Omelenko, it's a needle Ina hay stack. Also, according to either Tony or Omelenko, they're made of Caoba. That's why the wood grain looks that way. Well, that and the fact that when I refinished it I used three different tints of Danish oil to bring out the natural colors in the wood. She's a beauty. I love this Conga. The way it's looks is the way it sounds Mike. Seriously, thunder slaps with a full range of wood tones. But only after the bearing edge was redone along with a new cow skin from Manito and his tuning lugs.
If not for this site, I would not have it. That's why I rejoined. To express my appreciation for this site and the members on it. There's an abundance of knowledge here. If you're willing to read. I knew nothing about the top dogs like Jr. Tirado, Matt Smith, SOS and so on. I only knew LP until one day I typed in "best Congas" on Google and got Tony Sternad and this forum. Man was I happy I did that. I got on eBay and Craigslist and went crazy buying stuff to try it out. Gon Bops first. Six of them over a period of time. Luckily for cheap. Then 3 Del Cielos, Santa Clara Walnut. Oak Timbas, a set of HR's made of Guayacan wood. Walnut Gon Bops from Robert Felcher in Cali. A Valje and a Junior which I got lucky getting. Some No name Cubans and other stuff and can't remember. I knew nothing about these great Artisans. And to think that I lived in Williamsburg my whole life and didn't know about Jr. back then really gets to me. I wish I had. I was born on South 2nd St and Havemayer Ave. Right by his shop. I was raised in church though and wasnt allowed to listen to Salsa back then. What a lose.
I have a lot to contribute to this site. I refinished most of the drums I bought and have a world of knowledge to give back. And I will. I'll start posting b4 and after pics soon and if anyone has a question, I'll be more than happy to help. I've been playing for a while. I have an awesome teacher and he tells me never to say how long I've been learning or playing. Lol. I love it Mike. The music. I love Latin Jazz, Salsa and the ass kicking Rumbas. I'm starting to get more and more into the Afro-Cuban music and the musician. I constantly study the videos of the greats like Tata, Gio, Anga,Panga. You get the picture. I was born to do it, although I started late, and Imma die doing it. It's my PASSION. It's in my heart and that's what I play with. I don't if any members live by me but if they do hopefully we can exchange info and meet up for a jam session. That would be great.
It's getting late so till next time, may God bless us all with much love and prosperity. Y que sigala Rumba!!
MACHO123

Postby MACHO123 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:55 am

Question. Am I posting this in the right forum. Should I continue to post here or elsewhere.
MACHO123

Postby Mike » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:36 am

MACHO123 wrote:Question. Am I posting this in the right forum. Should I continue to post here or elsewhere.

It´s all fine :-)

PASSION - I know exactly what you mean, you either have this intense yearning for conga playing or not.
And it stretches beyond age or capability. I teach young children and teenagers and it´s great to see when
they catch fire.

Gon Bops first. Six of them over a period of time. Luckily for cheap. Then 3 Del Cielos, Santa Clara Walnut. Oak Timbas, a set of HR's made of Guayacan wood. Walnut Gon Bops from Robert Felcher in Cali. A Valje and a Junior which I got lucky getting

Wow, you went through the top-of-the-shop congas already! :mrgreen:
Apart from Gon Bops, the ones you mention are totally unavailable here in Europe.
You can feel blessed. As much as I do with my Delaportes ;-)

Anyway, it is very nice that you bring the forum back to life, Angel. :D
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby MACHO123 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:38 pm

Here's a pic of the Jr. Tirado Tumba I refinished.
Attachments
image.jpg
MACHO123

PreviousNext

Return to Comments and Suggestions