Dario (Omelenko) on Congas - No le Pegue A La Negra

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Re: Dario (Omelenko) on Congas - No le Pegue A La Negra

Postby MACHO123 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:44 pm

This is the b4 pic. I was very lucky to find this Tumba on Craigslist in NY for $400 last year. I'm looking for the Conga to match. Hopefully I'll find it. Dario help me out. Lol. Btw, Omelenko, do you still have that 12.25" GB SS Tumba that you pulled out of strorage a few years ago to sell? If you do, please let me know. I bought a Conga and the Sonoc Bongo from you already. Anyway here's the pic.
Attachments
image.jpg
MACHO123

Postby MACHO123 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:50 pm

This is the first set of GBs I brought and refinished in Dark Walnut Danish oil and Spar urethane.
Attachments
image.jpg
MACHO123

Postby MACHO123 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:54 pm

This is the 13.25" Super Tumba to complete the set. Like I said b4. I'm missing the ITL-3000. The 12.25 Tumba.
Attachments
image.jpg
MACHO123

Postby MACHO123 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:57 pm

B4 pic for the 13.25 Super Tumba.
Attachments
image.jpg
MACHO123

Postby MACHO123 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:09 pm

All constructive critisism is welcome gentlemen. I've only been doing the refinishing for a year this month. I started last February. I mean a screwed up a bunch of times and had to do some drums twice because the longer I did it the better I got and saw my previous mistakes and had to correct them. Most of my info I got here. The rest on the Internet with DIY videos. I refinished about 20 Congas in a year. But I was at it day in and out. Late nights, early mornings.

I was great to see the results in looks and especially sound. A very fulfilling experience. If you want a spiritual connection to your BELOVED Tumadoras, there no better way to accomplish it than to strip it down and redress it in a new outfit. Then take her out on gigs and show her true beauty off. They love that and will sing to their fullest potential to show their appreciation. This is true I swear. Especially when you replace the skin yourself as well. I suggest everyone try it. Get yourself a cachara of a conga and do it. You won't be afraid if it's a cachara or throw away drum. If you mess it up start again or throw it out. What do you have to loss? Time? The knowledge you gain and money you save is well worth it.

Wow in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "what the hell are you doing, these are potential customers!

Just kidding guys, just kidding. Lol.
MACHO123

Postby MACHO123 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:24 pm

image.jpg
Im gonna post the b4 and after pics of the Afrosound Conga bearing edge now. Just a quick note though. I sent the pics to Manito and he suggested I flatten out the part where the outer and inner edges met. In other words where the skin sits because it was sharp. He said that flattening it out a bit would give it a woodier sound. I guess a drier sound. Mind you he didn't specify how much it should be flattened and I didn't ask at the time we were speaking. So I flattened it to about an 1/8". But I didn't take a pic of it. I did it last wkkend

image.jpg
MACHO123

Postby MACHO123 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:31 pm

That was the b4 pic. Now the after.

image.jpg
MACHO123

Postby MACHO123 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:34 pm

After pic
Attachments
image.jpg
MACHO123

Postby Mike » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:10 am

That bearing edge has got a rather sharp angle now compared to
the previously dubious one. Good job, that is the kind of
bearing edge you actually want for a good sound IMHO.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby MACHO123 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:08 pm

I totally agree. The first pic was the rough cut. In the second pic it was shaped and sanded down. and you're right about the sound. 100% improvement. No nasty ringing overtones you get with the thick, flat bearing edges.
MACHO123

Postby jorge » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:04 am

MACHO123 wrote:Question. Am I posting this in the right forum. Should I continue to post here or elsewhere.

Welcome to the forum! First things first, I suggest going to the Board Index and you will see how the forum is organized. It is pretty helpful, especially if you want to find a thread quickly based on the general topic. To start a new thread, pick a topic category that you think best matches your topic and start it there. There are categories for playing, eg, Conga Technique and Rhythms or Open Discussion, categories for discussing the instruments themselves, eg, Bongo, Timbales, Bata, for posting videos of your gigs and jams, and even for dealers or people looking for a one time sale or purchase, there is an Instruments for Sale section. It would be nice to add an Instrument Repairs section but you can discuss that in Open Discussion.

You are in Brooklyn, there are some great AfroCuban rumbas in Brooklyn, one every few months. There is an outstanding AfroCuban rumba every Thursday night at the Zinc Bar at 82 W. 3rd St in the Village, a block below Washington Sq Park. Roman Diaz and the Midnight Rumba. Check the ZincBar.com website. We have been going every Thursday at midnight for over a year and a half. There is a cover charge but if you come to see another group before us you don't have to pay again for the midnight rumba set and it is only $10 after midnight. We usually play 1 set from about 12 to 1:15 am or so. This Thursday, Melvis Santa from La Habana will be singing 2 sets before us, she is definitely worth checking out.

We play modern AfroCuban rumba (guaguanco, guarapachangueo, columbia, yambu) with some AfroCuban folkloric music mixed in (Makuta, Palo, bata, Abakua) and with guest rumba and jazz players sitting in sometimes. Great place to meet people and get involved in the NYC rumba and AfroCuban scene.
jorge

Postby MACHO123 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:06 pm

Thnx Jorge for the info. I'll definitely check it out. I think I went once with a friend of mine and another guy he introduced to me as Viejo to the Mid night Rumba. It's a great place for a Rumba and a couple of beers. I had a great time. I'm gonna check out the Zincbar website as well.

I'll be in the city tonight with my wife for Dinner at the Hunt and Fish Club. It's a great Steak House. I just might pass by with her at midnight for a Rumba and a few cold ones! Thnx again Jorge.
MACHO123

Previous

Return to Comments and Suggestions