congas - tycoons

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Postby umannyt » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:43 am

bongosnotbombs wrote:Sure thing, I edited the post to more closely reflect your words.

BNB,

Thanks!

However, now you've just significantly changed the parameters because there's an essential difference between the correct and accurate understanding of the words "identical" and "generally".

The word "generally" allows for minor differences and deviations which you and I both seem to theorize about congas. The word "identical" doesn't.

And, if so, where therefore is the argument? ??? :;):

Edited By umannyt on 1202259640
umannyt

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:14 am

btw Tycoon does not make LP instruments, LP is owned by Kaman. Tycoon has been a manufacturer since 1984.
...and just recently LP has been bought from Kaman by Fender.

Virtually all percussion instruments that are manufactured today are made in Bangkok, Thailand. Bangkok's close proximity to the raw material and skilled labor needed to manufacture percussion instruments make it an ideal location. Brands such as Tycoon, Latin Percussion, Toca and Meinl to name a few are all manufactured in Thailand. In fact Latin Percussion and Toca are subsidiaries of Kaman Music. However, only Tycoon owns its own factory in Bangkok. Most other brands rent factory space in Bangkok to manufacture their line of percussion instruments. The factories rented are in many cases generically set-up to produce all sorts of products - not just percussion instruments. That's not to say that these brands aren't quality, it's just the reality.

Because of Tycoon's specialized factory for making percussion instruments, there are some cases where companies commission Tycoon to manufacture their percussion instruments where they are eventually shipped to the states and sold to you under a different brand name.

http://209.85.173.104/search?....=safari

http://www.tycoonpercussion.com/about.asp

Edited By bongosnotbombs on 1202260529
bongosnotbombs

Postby Gallichio » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:20 am

No need to apologize, I think they are OK they sounded different to me. If you like them thats cool. Play on brothers! :cool:
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby umannyt » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:29 am

BNB,

I really don't want to belabor this very minor issue any further, but IMO your latest response warrants further rebuttal.

I'm really not one to pick information out of thin air. I try my best to back up my CATEGORICAL statements with facts.

And, if I'm not absolutely sure about my information, then I believe that I'm quite careful enough to qualify it by saying, "It is my understanding that..." or "I'm under the impression that..."

According to Mistermusikmark (http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:0J ... d=10&gl=us):

"Mistermusikmark has long been aware of Tycoon Percussion's presence and excellent reputation in the OEM (ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURING) industry. They have their OWN FACTORIES in THAILAND and SINCE 1985 have been producing some of the finest latin percussion drums and hand-held instruments for the WORLD'S MOST FAMOUS NAME BRANDS. Only recently has the company decided to bring their own brand to market and, through relationships developed over many years, allow Mistermusikmark to make these products available to our clients."

I'm fully aware that Kaman used to own LP and that Fender now owns it. Nevertheless, nothing in this fact PRECLUDES LP percussion instruments from having been (and/or continuing) to be manufactured by Tycoon Percussion FOR or ON BEHALF of LP, the company.

I don't know what your authority is for making your CATEGORICAL statement that "Tycoon does not make LP instruments,..." In fact, you're very own quote implies/hints the contrary and appears to be a circumstantial evidence proving my own point:

"Because of Tycoon's specialized factory for making percussion instruments, there are some cases where companies commission Tycoon to manufacture their percussion instruments where they are eventually shipped to the states and sold to you under a different brand name."

Nevertheless, to settle this very minor issue, once and for all, I've decided to email Tycoon Percussion directly in order to get the fact(s) straight from the "horse's mouth". I'll post that email on this Forum as soon as I get it, tomorrow at the earliest.

Edited By umannyt on 1202270328
umannyt

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:54 am

I think LP has it's own factory. At least they call it the LP factory, seems they have had an old one and a new one. Looks like a nice place.

http://content.congahead.com/galleries/bangkok2006/source/23.html

http://www.congahead.com/On_The_Scene/malaybang06/index.html

Edited By bongosnotbombs on 1202272920
bongosnotbombs

Postby umannyt » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:56 am

Tycoon Master Fantasy Series Congas:

Mighty close to LP Classic Accent Congas, aren't they? The drum on the right could almost pass for a LP Raul Rekow Signature Series Congas.

Notice also Tycoon's heart-shaped side plates which appear to be a modification of LP's own heart-shaped side plates.

Edited By umannyt on 1202270992

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... f_ftc1.jpg
umannyt

Postby umannyt » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:09 am

Tycoon Percussion Master Classic Series Congas:

Except for a higher belly, quite reminiscent of LP Classic Model Congas. They're named Classic, too!

Edited By umannyt on 1202271085

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... mtc_cn.jpg
umannyt

Postby umannyt » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:32 am

BNB,

This caption was typed below this picture taken one from the weblinks you provided above:

"After performing on the drums, Chatchai, the FACTORY OWNER asked Steve to sign the head."

Therefore, it APPEARS that LP doesn't actually own the factory but only rents/leases it from Chatchai who is an OEM manufacturer for LP.

Edited By umannyt on 1202273445

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 3v2448.jpg
umannyt

Postby Zig » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:51 pm

franc wrote:alguien me puede decir. please tell me about the ''tycoons congas'' how good are they. will appreciate it . mucho ache and my best, franc :cool:

I bet you wish you hadn't asked now? :laugh:
Zig

Postby yambu321 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:06 pm

ZIG,

YOU ARE RIGHT ON POINT. :;):
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby umannyt » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Zig wrote:I bet you wish you hadn't asked now? :laugh:

Despite some APPARENTLY heated discussion caused by misunderstanding and overreaction, which was really unnecessary, I think we learned a thing or two, didn't we?

We can always choose to look at a glass as being half-full or half-empty, a blessing or a curse. :;):
umannyt

Postby morty » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:46 pm

Tycoons and LP's rock!
morty

Postby umannyt » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:07 pm

I must admit that the latest "Signature Grand Conga" drums, which were introduced during the recently-concluded Winter NAMM 2008 in Anaheim, CA, are very attractive-looking.

For Thailand-made drums, the shells are made not only "not of the usual Rubber Wood/Asian Oak/Siam Oak" but of more-expensive North American Ash. Also, they come already equipped with premium-grade calfskin heads. And I'm sure that the prices will be very competitive.

Here's the latest Tycoon Percussion's Press Release:

Tycoon Percussion Introduces Signature Grand Conga Drums
January 25, 2008

Tycoon Percussion is proud to announce the introduction of its all-new Signature "Grand" Series conga drums. This series is acclaimed for its exclusive combination of classic wide-body designs and advanced handcraftsmanship that offers high-end performance and tone quality, not to mention a stunning appearance! Ideal for live and studio players who require a professional sound plus the extra depth and power of bigger, more traditional drums, the Signature "Grand" Series congas are equally at home in authentic Afro-Cuban and contemporary World-percussion applications and are recommended as either primary or alternative drums.

The 11" Quinto, 11-3/4" Conga and 12-1/2" Tumba feature hand-selected North-American Ash shells in a rich, natural satin oil finish with 10% wider bellies. This shape allows more air movement and creates a fatter, warmer, more resonant sound. Additional Tycoon innovations include old-school style Classic-Pro™ hoops, premium-grade calfskin heads and the luxurious look of brushed chrome hardware. Matching requintos, bongos and djembes are also available to round out any percussionist's set-up.

For more information, visit their web site at
http://www.tycoonpercussion.com/default.asp

Edited By umannyt on 1202599104

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 028601.jpg
umannyt

Postby rebongo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:27 pm

beautiful drums, but they look very, very, very similar to Meinl Woodcraft....
rebongo

Postby umannyt » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:14 pm

rebongo wrote:beautiful drums, but they look very, very, very similar to Meinl Woodcraft....

Rebongo,

You got it! :D
umannyt

PreviousNext

Return to Comments and Suggestions