Todays lesson "Buying and selecting cow bells and beaters''

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Todays lesson "Buying and selecting cow bells and beaters''

Postby Anonimo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:35 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Last edited by Anonimo on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:02 am, edited 8 times in total.
Anonimo

Re: Todays lesson "Buying and selecting cow bells and beaters''

Postby roberthelpus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:43 pm

What kind of bell would you recommend for Septeto style Son? A line-up of say guitar, tres, trumpet, clave, bass, maraca, and bongo.
roberthelpus

Postby Anonimo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:26 pm

Attachments
102_1858.JPG
1920 bell
102_1859.JPG
side view
Last edited by Anonimo on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonimo

Postby Dicemanb » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:10 am

Professor Leedy :lol:

Thanks for your insights, the first time I have seen such an article.
Very useful info
I have a selection of CP, LP and JCR campanas, and like to use a JCR Duro beater to give the bell sound more cut in an orquestra situation. It isnt fibre glass but more like cloth in resin, so not so damaging.

Dice
Dicemanb

Postby Anonimo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:51 pm

Anonimo

Postby Dicemanb » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:26 pm

Ok, but you dont need to hit the bell so hard......

I still use an LP 'baseball bat' type beater for quieter situations and have to admit it is a warmer sound, what are your preferences for beater?

Dice
Dicemanb

Postby roberthelpus » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:35 pm

I have two JCR bongo bells. One high and one low. Bought them at Sam Ash and Guitar Center, believe it or not. I always enjoy seeing the salesmen look sideways at me when I try out every bell that they have. I had my bag with most of my bells stolen out of my car stolen a number of years ago, and it took years to get back to being happy with what I have. For a while no bell that I tried sounded right to me. I still haven't replaced the JCR agogo that I had.

I actually like for them to ring a little bit, not like a fire bell of course, as I can always use my hand to take that out. I usually keep my index finger in the same spot to control this and then I can always take it off for effect.

So I am pretty happy with what I have but wouldn't mind picking up and even lower toned one. some day.
roberthelpus

Postby Anonimo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:46 pm

Anonimo

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:15 am

I agree with your comments regarding using the correct bells as needed for the musical needs ( this is why I have several sets ) And I do not use the hard fiber sticks that are like playing your bell with a steel hammer head ! It sounds harsh & overly loud, it does crack your bells & then welding repairs change the bells tone. Volume is some thing that needs to be balanced by all the musicians in a band, and by trained sound techs. If you are more concerened with loudness over balanced musical qualities ~ then you are showing imaturity as a musician and as a person. Why would others want to be forced to use ear plugs, just to share the stage with you ? Regarding bell brands : I have always prefered JCR bells vibrant tones that I could dampen as I feel is good to my needs or just control from my playing them. I never cared for Asian made bells that are mass produced and have spot welds instead of full seam welds. Regardless of brand, I try many bells and I bring my timbale bells & hand bells to a store to see how a good sounding bell is tuned as a set w/ my other bells. Some times, I may be playing a Brazilian Maracatu with Latin bells and I want a melodic musical sound, not just a random bell tone. I discovered that most powder coated or chrome plated bells have poor focus on tone and sound dull. I prefer to add paint etc, my self and prefer zinc anodized coatings which are thin & lighter than heavier chrome ( which also peels off ). I would not spend any $$$ on new Gon Bop bells or entry level bells. Some Lp bells are ok ( the ones that look like JCR grey metal bells ) called Salsa line. But I do not buy any instrument based on brand...only on quality of sound & design for practical musical requirements.
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:29 am

roberthelpus wrote:I have two JCR bongo bells. One high and one low. Bought them at Sam Ash and Guitar Center, believe it or not. I always enjoy seeing the salesmen look sideways at me when I try out every bell that they have. I had my bag with most of my bells stolen out of my car stolen a number of years ago, and it took years to get back to being happy with what I have. For a while no bell that I tried sounded right to me. I still haven't replaced the JCR agogo that I had.

I actually like for them to ring a little bit, not like a fire bell of course, as I can always use my hand to take that out. I usually keep my index finger in the same spot to control this and then I can always take it off for effect.

So I am pretty happy with what I have but wouldn't mind picking up and even lower toned one. some day.

I totaly agree w/ you Bro. I have lost or sold bells that ruined me for years until I was again happy. I once sold a JCR timbale ride bell to Pucho of Pucho & his Latin Soul Brothers an I tried 7 other bells that year alone & only kept one. The sales clerks at stores are oblivious about bells. And if all a store sells is LP brand...then I do not consider the store to be a specialized professional percusion shop. I actualy have to drive out of state to sample a variety of bells at one perc. shop. I have a mounted JCR agogo / disco bell from 1985 that I will never let go ! I used to order a big box of a few dozen JCR bells, sample them all, keep the ones I favored & sell the rest to drummers or to other stores. If a hand bell is not as perfect as I like, I will weld a clamp to it and use it as a mounted bell or a foot pedal bell. I use 3 hand bells at my bongo station since different music, rhythms and dynamics all have a particular bell that sounds more appropriate.
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:42 am

leedy2 wrote:
Dicemanb wrote:Ok, but you dont need to hit the bell so hard......

I still use an LP 'baseball bat' type beater for quieter situations and have to admit it is a warmer sound, what are your preferences for beater?

Dice

Those palo duro even if you don't hit bell hard it will damage a real working musician and I mean working 7 days, being this there job guys like Daddy and many others every two weeks they would have to buy a bell using the Palo duro. By using a wood stick it a lofter on bell and it will last you longer . I prefer wooden stick you also have some rose wood stick made for bells that are very good I will post a few on for sale take a look.

LP's oak beater sticks are the worst ! It shows me how manipulative & abusive a company can be w/ thier customers ! First of all...OAK is the worst wood for a beater. The wood grain quickly cracks down the soft grain, this is why we dont use them as drum sticks ! Secondly, the narrow baseball bat tapered shape, by design, wants to slip out of your hand. You end up gripping it to hard and your hand gets tired & it is distracting from playing your best music ! A medium hard wood like maple, will wear down little by little instead of cracking. The shap does not need to be tapered to much...only enough to feel comfortable in your hands. A cheap soft wood clave stick or wood dowels from a hard ware store is fine for nost uses. If you want a louder hard wood, try a replacement hammer handle ? Asian soft wood beater sticks like what Gon Bops & Meinl sell...are just junk woods made to look as if they are specialized for the bells. This is just a token item that is not special at all. You would never make or sell drum sticks made from the same junk woods ~ but evidently, your Asian drums are probably made from this junk wood.
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:51 am

leedy2 wrote:
Dicemanb wrote:Professor Leedy :lol:
Very useful info
I have a selection of CP, LP and JCR campanas, and like to use a JCR Duro beater to give the bell sound more cut in an orquestra situation. It isnt fibre glass but more like cloth in resin, so not so damaging.

Dice

That stick is made of fiberglass, cloth and resin hardener and then he put a piece of rubber as handle.This is like hitting your bell with a steel pipe. The same affect that you get buy hitting with this stick you can achieve with a wooden stick it's just having the right bell's for right situation .Buy hitting with these hard sticks you are not cutting through band more in any situation but your bell sounds distorted and is pron to crack,bend and also sound changes do to stress on metal from hitting with these sticks. (Palo Duro )
Thanks for your insights, the first time I have seen such an article. EL Professor Leedy ! I like that ! LOL....by the way U guys, the fiber sticks u mention are the predesesor to fiberglass. It is a cloth w/ resins, cooked & stamped into shapes by thousands of Lbs preasure in huge machines. They used to make Army helmet liners from it & still make construction hard hats from it. Since it is a non electrical conductive material, it was used in electronics & marine hard wares since at least 50 years ago. It is very dense and hard as fiberglass. It will destroy your bells and if you sneak one onto my stage ~ I will steal it from you & throw it away instead of listening to the harsh tone it makes ! I think the material is called Polyamede so something like that. It is commonly used in machine shops and other engineering shop work. Ernesto Pediangco 2/8/2011
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:01 am

leedy2 wrote:
roberthelpus wrote:What kind of bell would you recommend for Septeto style Son? A line-up of say guitar, tres, trumpet, clave, bass, maraca, and bongo.

This 1920 hand bell was used by sexteto National the best for that atmosphere. An LP 204 great for that type of music.
102_1858.JPG

102_1859.JPG

When ever I experimented with old cow bells of this type, I had them sand blasted and then had brass welding ( brazing ) done to make the seams solid so they wont buzz and the bells ring more true. Some iron bells were brass coated so you still had to use a anti oxidant like a clear coat or metal sculpture artist WAX. This wax is like car wax, it seals and protects. I keep all my chrome parts cleaned & protected this way.
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby goingquinto » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:46 pm

These are my favorite 3 oldschool bells.
Attachments
3 Old Handmade bells.jpg
I love all 3 of these bells, all handmade
goingquinto

Postby goingquinto » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:50 pm

The one on the left is old Ludwig, it sounds like a small wood block almost. The one on the right is Zil-Bel. I got both of them for free. I don't really use either one, just keeping them because they are rare.
Attachments
Ludwig and Zil-Bel.jpg
goingquinto

Next

Return to Comments and Suggestions