happy beginner!

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

happy beginner!

Postby olivah » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:44 am

Hi everyone,
Olivah here from Switzerland.
I'm new to the forum and new to congas.
I would suggest a new members introduction section (or did I miss it?).
Thanks for the forum.
Peace Olivah
olivah

Re: happy beginner!

Postby GuruPimpi » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:01 am

Hello Olivah!

Don't worry, just cruise among the topics, I found this forum very easy to search...

Welcome to this forum, it's a real gem of knowledge and musicians with A LOT of experience...

Check all the 'books' you have it here (congabook, bongo book... a real starters if you are beginner!)

PimpS
GuruPimpi

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:20 pm

Welcome olivah to the Conga brotherhood. Im sure you will enjoy and benefit from the wealth of information here. So do you currently own a set of Congas? What do you own? what are you looking to get? What type of music intrest you the most :?:
KING CONGA

Postby olivah » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:18 am

Thanks Guru and King!
Well for the moment I'm trying to learn on a compact quinto, my basic tumbao is getting better every day. If I improve (I'm 42) I'll get the real thing :D .
I have always dreamed of playing congas, got my first musical goosebumps as a child watching a conga player.
I had a conga years ago but probably did it all wrong like that guy on expertvillage (not JC off course) :oops:.
This time I want to do the real thing and learn the proper way.
My profile pic says it all, Afrobeat is the music I love.
Peace Olivah
Last edited by olivah on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olivah

Postby KING CONGA » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:09 pm

Cool. If at all possible I would strongly recommend that you invest in a Conga for learning considering that it will have a larger playing surface therefore ableing, if there is such a word, better use of both of your hands :)
There are certainly good videos on youtube but there is nothing like taking lessons in person. You know, Johnny Conga, who is a very experienced player, is now offering classes through SKIPE. This is probably the next best thing to taking lessons in person being that you can see one another and communicate instantly.
The way I see it, if someone has a real interest for this instrument, which by the way I'm sure that we all do, then it’s worth the investment no matter who you are.
My motto: “There is always room for Improvement” no matter who or how experienced someone is :P .
Good luck :wink:
KING CONGA

Postby CongaTick » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:39 pm

Welcome Olivah.

This forum will easily become a home filled with love for your interest, your willingness to learn and your questions and contributions. Here reside the finest bunch of pros I have ever "met", with great integrity, dedication and a willingness to share. It is... the CONGA MOTHERSHIP. I have been a "happy beginner" like you for many years, and would love to make an AfroBeat connection (my true love) but available groups and gigs hereabout very scarce.
CongaTick

Return to Comments and Suggestions