Hardware best, good and bad

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Re: Hardware best, good and bad

Postby blavonski » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:29 pm

Thanks Leedy,
that's very useful information!

The 3mm plate I put on my Marathons is sitting just fine and I really dig playing them more than those Headliners. And the larger lug nuts are also more satifying and comfortable to work with. I noticed that Meinl puts those smaller nuts on their Free Ride Models. I was wondering why that, if meinl can make a solid shell Djembe, why can't or don't they make a solid shell Bongó?
Good Vibrations,
Mr. Blavonski
blavonski

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:37 am

Tensores etc of Moperc are also top notch. I was very impressed with his hardware from the Mopercs I played in Cuba.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby pcastag » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:06 pm

Yes Moperc is also all stainless steel. The matal plates and rims on my old sonocs are also thicker than anything I have now.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby vxla » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Someone tell LP that their classic series congas aren't on the "best" list; I keep seeing them everywhere, and am sure their sales team would like to know their junk according to some guy who is on the Internet.
Last edited by vxla on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vxla

Postby jorge » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:19 pm

vxla wrote:Someone tell LP that their classic series congas aren't on the "best" list; I keep seeing them everywhere, and am sure their sales team would like to know they're junk according to some guy who is on the Internet.

vxla: He had them on the good list not the bad list or the best list. He only had the LP Performer series hardware on the bad list.

leedy2 wrote:...The best currently made these manufactures use 5/16 lugs , thick Gage metals for rims and side plates do not skimp on products, tempered steel...
These other company's are good they use thinner lugs 3/8, metals used for plates and rims are good not as thick as others use, But withhold pressure without bending. Uses some tempered steel and some not tempered.

Leedy: 3/8" is 6/16" which is thicker than 5/16". I think you meant to say it the other way around.
Also, the thickness of the lugs should match the stress. A conga with 5 lugs may need thicker lugs while the same size conga with 6 lugs may be able to use thinner lugs. Likewise, a larger quinto with a thick skin tuned high might need thicker lugs than the same drum with a thinner skin, or a smaller diameter drum with the thick skin.
jorge

Postby vxla » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:29 am

Ok. which ones are better?
vxla

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:51 pm

Good hardware: Once again DELAPORTE congas for ther massive bolts & nuts.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby vxla » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:57 pm

I'm having a hard time seeing the difference between Classic I's and Classic II's.. is it the material of the steel that is different?

Also, when did the Giovanni Palladium's stop having the rings around the drum? There's a few sets on ebay for around $1300/USD, which isn't too bad for three drums.
vxla

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:59 pm

Leedy u left out Volcano Conga drums Volcanopercussion.com
JohnnyConga

Postby KING CONGA » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:17 pm

leedy with all due respect. I dont know how familiar you are with Classics II but Ive seen both side by sideand yes the shape is defenetly different, Classic I are much nicer, and I can tell you that the hardware is the same as far as quality, same thickness for the plates crowns and tuning lugs.
as for the wood, in all honestly, I dont really know the difference.
Paz :mrgreen:
KING CONGA

Postby vxla » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:21 pm

Interesting, thanks. The Classic II's also have the fiberglass liner (I can verify this for my set).
vxla

Postby vxla » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:28 pm

Per LP's website

http://lpmusic.com/Product_Showcase/Congas/lp_classic_congas.html
"Fiberglass layer added to the inside upper portion of the shell to provide additional strength"
vxla

Postby vxla » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:32 pm

Oh I see now. I apologize leedy... I was looking at the Classics, but there's a different product line, as well.

Okay, this goes with what information I thought then; I actually have Classic models, not Classic 2's. Whoops! :-)
vxla

Postby Mike » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:56 am

[quote="leedy2"]Calente , Aldente and the Proformer all the same wood but hardware and finishes are totally different ./quote]

The names of LP´s low budget series are actually Caliente, Ardiente (otherwise we are talking Italian pasta :-) and Performer.
Peace & drum
Mike

Return to Comments and Suggestions