Text Limit for Each Reply

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Text Limit for Each Reply

Postby Chupacabra » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:52 am

Hi,

I wonder if it would be practical to put a restriction on the amount of text that one can put into each post. I know, I know... they can just open another box and add more. But maybe it will make some people think a little bit more before they copy and paste a complete webpage into a post. Sometimes it's just too much to go through and most often goes way off topic, while the person posting it is too lazy to at least find the key points and take out the extraneous information.

Anyone second that?
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Re: Text Limit for Each Reply

Postby Derbeno » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:02 am

I see your point, but you are free to move on if the post is not to your liking.

There are a few posters and topics on here and other that I simply do not bother to read the respective posts.
Similarly if it aplies to me in reverse then I am most certainly not offended.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby Anonimo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:10 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby blavonski » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:25 am

Chupacabra wrote:Hi,

I wonder if it would be practical to put a restriction on the amount of text that one can put into each post. I know, I know... they can just open another box and add more. But maybe it will make some people think a little bit more before they copy and paste a complete webpage into a post. Sometimes it's just too much to go through and most often goes way off topic, while the person posting it is too lazy to at least find the key points and take out the extraneous information.

Anyone second that?

I read this once, somewhere:"The only restriction a Democracy needs is that on those who would threaten it."
But, I think even that would be un-democrtatic.

And refering to people who take time out of their day to write or search, copy and past useful, pertainant information for the bennefit of others as "Too Lazy", is a phenomenal thing to write. We all make choices!

Peace!
Good Vibrations,
Mr. Blavonski
blavonski

Postby Chupacabra » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:10 pm

leedy2 wrote:Chupacabra
In order for some people to understand certain things you must give them the complete history . If you find it to long move on like Derbeno said's no sense in reading what does not interest you.

That's just my point! It is agreed that the big picture is necessary to have a better understanding of a topic and I do want to read what interests me but when a post consists of a really long passage of information that in many cases is plagiarized... oh, sorry, "borrowed" from another source :wink: I find it hard to keep interested. Copy and paste is my friend too but I always try to keep it relevant to the subject and when possible give credit to the source, or at least put the passage in quotation marks to indicate that I am not the writer of said passage! There are some members here who obviously have a very high level of knowledge and their writing is of great educational value because the subjects they write about are ones in which they have expert knowledge in. I read these posts word for word no matter how long they are because they are on the point, and the writer realizes that if they are putting out the time and effort to type this information they would want people to read through it and benefit from it, otherwise it's just a waste of time.

I'm sure everybody knows, or has met someone who is a compulsive talker. They just love to go on and on and you can't even have a conversation with them because they will not stop flapping their gums. It's frustrating, especially if the subject is one that interests you and you wish to learn more, or share knowledge that you have. Yes, I can move on and talk to someone else but what if everyone else is talking about things I'm not interested in?

As far as the the Democratic Republik faction goes, I am not talking about censorship here so please refrain from the finger-wagging about democracy and all that :roll: . It's just common courtesy is all I ask for. But thanks for your opinion, nonetheless.

Thanks and have a stress-free day!
Chupacabra

Postby Dicemanb » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:04 am

I agree that anything copied should be acknowledged either with reference to the author or using quotation marks, but should also be edited to be relevant. Unless I am interested in the subject I will just open it to get rid of the red icon on the home page and will definitely not read it if it is too big. May be just my short attention span.
Sometimes a title may catch my eye in a section I am not particularly interested in, but maybe there is a way to just turn off the red without having to go through the routine of opening a thread. Anyone?

Dice
Dicemanb

Postby blavonski » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:11 pm

Chupacabra,

I apologize if my reference to Democracy and the freedoms of speech and expression that it aught to uphold offended you. But, correct me if I’m wrong; you requested that there be restrictions put on length and content of what people post here. That is a form of censorship and, in my humble opinion, unnecessary and un-democratic, particularly in an environment such as this Blog.

I’ve recently signed up here and have found many topics quite interesting and some not for my personal needs or wants. Moreover, I have found that most people here are very generous with their knowledge and experiences, and are more than willing to share. And they do what they need to do to get their point across. I respect, and appreciate that!
This is not a magazine, nor is it a university newspaper etc. It is an open, volunteer forum where the freedom of expression aught to be able to flow in a spontaneous fashion in the direction that it finds itself naturally going…if it veers off track, Oh well. That, in my opinion is the fun and exciting quality of these forums and to restrict and control it to fit a few personal, intloerable tastes is taking it a bit too seriously. Since no one here, I believe, is writing their dissertation on or benefiting monetarily from anything they paste from the Net, the need for quotations and or footnotes of public domain info, although helpfull, is redundant. If some one forgets to name the author, than those interested can simply ask the poster who it was.
Not everyone is as familiar with a particular topic as you or others here may be and therefore, may find it quite convenient to not have to scour the Web endlessly, while not knowing what to look for.

Lastly, I find your eyeball rolling request that I refrain from writing what I feel I need to write, as well as your naming people Lazy antaganistic and out of line.
Are you an admistrator to this Blog? If you find that you have an unfulfilled need, desire to perform the duties of a literary editor, then it might be a good idea that you seek that fulfilment else where, for I believe that, it’s also common courtesy to live and let live. That's all I have to say on the subject.

Respectfully,
Blavonski
Good Vibrations,
Mr. Blavonski
blavonski

Postby vxla » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:23 pm

There's certainly some merit to having a character limit (and actually, there is one here but it is quite a high value), but there is even more merit to having properly sourced and cited information. When posting information from a website or from another source, please properly give credit to that source and either use quotation marks (" ") to encapsulate the information, or use the buttons above to italicize or bold the information.

We need to know where YOUR opinion stops, and where facts begin, etc.
vxla

Postby Chupacabra » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:44 pm

blavonski wrote:Chupacabra,

I apologize if my reference to Democracy and the freedoms of speech and expression that it aught to uphold offended you. But, correct me if I’m wrong; you requested that there be restrictions put on length and content of what people post here. That is a form of censorship and, in my humble opinion, unnecessary and un-democratic, particularly in an environment such as this Blog.

I’ve recently signed up here and have found many topics quite interesting and some not for my personal needs or wants. Moreover, I have found that most people here are very generous with their knowledge and experiences, and are more than willing to share. And they do what they need to do to get their point across. I respect, and appreciate that!
This is not a magazine, nor is it a university newspaper etc. It is an open, volunteer forum where the freedom of expression aught to be able to flow in a spontaneous fashion in the direction that it finds itself naturally going…if it veers off track, Oh well. That, in my opinion is the fun and exciting quality of these forums and to restrict and control it to fit a few personal, intloerable tastes is taking it a bit too seriously. Since no one here, I believe, is writing their dissertation on or benefiting monetarily from anything they paste from the Net, the need for quotations and or footnotes of public domain info, although helpfull, is redundant. If some one forgets to name the author, than those interested can simply ask the poster who it was.
Not everyone is as familiar with a particular topic as you or others here may be and therefore, may find it quite convenient to not have to scour the Web endlessly, while not knowing what to look for.

Lastly, I find your eyeball rolling request that I refrain from writing what I feel I need to write, as well as your naming people Lazy antaganistic and out of line.
Are you an admistrator to this Blog? If you find that you have an unfulfilled need, desire to perform the duties of a literary editor, then it might be a good idea that you seek that fulfilment else where, for I believe that, it’s also common courtesy to live and let live. That's all I have to say on the subject.

Respectfully,
Blavonski

... :roll: . Oh by the way, read the forum's terms and conditions re: The freedom and democracy and freedom of speech issue. It will be of use the next time you attempt to chastise someone on having an opinion that does not agree with yours. If you feel antagonized, too bad, get over it.That's all I have to say on this subject.
Chupacabra

Return to Comments and Suggestions