BATARUMBA DOS

A special forum dedicated to the new great web-site by Laurent Lamy: a place where poeple can share knowledge about Cuban and Afro-Cuban percussion. Get into the forum to know more about it!

Postby zaragemca » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:10 pm

I have done recording with several band,but I did an specific CD for percussion,and my percussion bags have been stolen twice,with Cd's and videos,(somebody might be doing a museum with my stuff),but I think some of my student could have some copies.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby mcanepa » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:10 am

Hi Laurent. I try but it seems to not longer exist in that url.
Can you tell me the url?
I m so interested in batarumba and other non traditional rythms played on batá, and want to experience also in patterns playing one percussionist the 3 batás, do you know where can I have some partituras, patterns or music to learn it? (excuse my english!) thanks! Marcelo
Marcelo
mcanepa

Postby Laurent Lamy » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:11 am

mcanepa wrote:Hi Laurent. I try but it seems to not longer exist in that url.
Can you tell me the url?
I m so interested in batarumba and other non traditional rythms played on batá, and want to experience also in patterns playing one percussionist the 3 batás, do you know where can I have some partituras, patterns or music to learn it? (excuse my english!) thanks! Marcelo

Hi,

I am really sorry but this site does not exist any more for a long time!

ZunZun

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 2petit.jpg
Laurent Lamy

Postby onile » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:45 am

Alafia Abure Laurent!
I hope that you are well and in an abundance of blessings!
I'm not so sure, since I haven't been back to this particualar website, but I believe that it may have been yours! There was a recording (a bit too short) on "bata and guaguanco"! If it was your creation, along with Lazaro Ros Ibaye! Where he was reciting his Moyuba in the background. Let me say that it was super cool! The way the strings were incorporated into the piece along with the percussion! Brilliant! I would have loved to have been able to acquire a longer copy of the piece! It was beautiful! Great work my friend!

Many blessings!

Tony
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Laurent Lamy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:51 am

onile wrote:Alafia Abure Laurent!
I hope that you are well and in an abundance of blessings!
I'm not so sure, since I haven't been back to this particualar website, but I believe that it may have been yours! There was a recording (a bit too short) on "bata and guaguanco"! If it was your creation, along with Lazaro Ros Ibaye! Where he was reciting his Moyuba in the background. Let me say that it was super cool! The way the strings were incorporated into the piece along with the percussion! Brilliant! I would have loved to have been able to acquire a longer copy of the piece! It was beautiful! Great work my friend!

Many blessings!

Tony

Hello Onile,
I made it with loops and of an audio edition software! It is the private version that I gave to this site. It is not for a commercial use.
It is an honoring which was reserved in aid of my friends and owed remained confidential before I decide to share it with the members of the site.

ZunZun

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 2petit.jpg
Laurent Lamy

Postby onile » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:17 pm

It was a great job none the less!

Keep up the good work!

Onile
onile

Postby Laurent Lamy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:33 pm

Many thanks. You can visit Meetsomepeople

ZunZun
Laurent Lamy

Postby onile » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:08 pm

Wow! they are fantastic! I like the way you combined the different feels into the arrangements!
Do I hear the "Bossa Nova" clave? If so, it's in the pocket, groovin' like nobody's business:)

Really cool mixes Laurent!
onile

Postby Laurent Lamy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:46 am

onile wrote:Wow! they are fantastic! I like the way you combined the different feels into the arrangements!
Do I hear the "Bossa Nova" clave? If so, it's in the pocket, groovin' like nobody's business:)

Really cool mixes Laurent!

Yes you You heard very well. I am happy that my work please you. I amuse myself to making it.

ZunZun

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... urent2.gif
Laurent Lamy

Postby onile » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:29 pm

Alafia Laurent!
If I may so bold as to say, at some point, you should share some of your creations with the world! It has almost a meditative effect on the mind, and I mean this in the most respectful way. I was on my computer at work when I connected to your site, and I just couldn't stop listening to it, I kept playing it over, and over again. I was actually able to complete a lot of work which I was needing to do while listening. What I'm saying is your work is very good, I like it!

You have a great talent Laurent! I wish you many triumphs!

Respectfully,
Onile

Edited By onile on 1127501935
onile

Postby pcastag » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:37 pm

Hey folks, I don't like to discredit people, but I live in Houston where this Dr. Zaragemca lives, and all I know is that he runs a drum circle at some cafes. Now, I have been playing here since 1992, in many salsa bands AND, have a group that plays guiros. There are three cubans in the group and none of them know Zaragemca. In addition ( as far as I know) he does not play with the established salsa bands. in addition, I have been to tambors with Puntilla, Totico and a group from LA here in houston , and as far as I know he was not present or connected to any of those peope, which ( as we know the community of cuban "master percussionists" is quite small) he would almost certainly would be . I've been looking for bata instructors here for some time, as I have studied in Cuba (cost prohibited) and with other masters such as Michael Spiro and Skip Brinquito Williams. He may most certainly be from havana, but bestowing upon one's self the title of master percussionist is a bit presumptuous.

As far as I know there are definitely moorish influences in Rumba, particularly the vocal tonal qualities, and in the use of the highest pitched drum as the lead drum. As we know in most african music, even afro-cuban music, the large drum is the lead ( bata, bembe, arara, iyesa).

PC
PC
pcastag

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:46 pm

OK PCastag...you know my ex roomate home boy "Skip' huh...Cool Bro..he is back in NYC and he finally made Ocha too, spoke with him awhile ago..we go waaaaaaaaaaaaay back, to the streets of NY L.A. and Miami....smokin player!...If u go to my geocities tumba caliente site you will here Skip singing my tune Rumba de Raices....he played and sang on my first Cd...Johnny Conga & Caribe + Roots of Rhythm-1994-Skyward records......"JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby pcastag » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:13 pm

Oh yeah, everytime Skip would come to Houston me and my boys, him, Aby and sometimes Pepe would hang out. Crazy guy. This was like in 94, long time ago, but man I sure learned alot from that homeboy! Galad to hear he made ocha, I knew he had moved to Miami for a while and was playing down there with el Negro.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby pcastag » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:14 pm

Yeah, sounds like skip!
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:59 am

He has finally "slowed down" a bit, but he still likes to 'party' and u know what i mean :D .."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

PreviousNext

Return to Batarumba Dos