Tips for the pros

A new project has been started, everybody is invited to partecipate .... visit the forum to view more...

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:10 pm

Just so u know that the word on Johnny Almendra is not good...ever since his "singer" I forget her name with Los Jovenes, left him for another , he has hit rock bottem....doing a lot of drugs.. and not much else...this is the word I got from NYC and my boys there...."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:14 pm

That is tremendously sad. :(

Her name is Jillian. They seemed so happy together, but that was a few years ago now.
How sad Johnny has gone down a rough path. So much knowledge and talent.
I gather he aint teaching at the Harbour no more?

And what of JB Batanga?
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:23 pm

JB Batanga jammin at the Bacardi Festival after party a few years back in Sydney. (Jovenes del Barrio headlined that particular year)

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... rparty.JPG
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:01 pm

I never heard of JB Batanga...did he tour with Johnny ?...yea Jillian was her name....see that is always a problem when u have a woman front the band...she gets ALL the attention....many times I have been told put a girl up front, too me it's a distraction , now if she plays an instrument, and i have used a few good woman players in my own band, that's where it's at for me...but then again Johnny was in love with her,as I have been told....I will keep u updated of his situation...as I hear it from NYC....."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:02 pm

I never heard of JB Batanga...did he tour with Johnny ?...yea Jillian was her name....see that is always a problem when u have a woman front the band...she gets ALL the attention....many times I have been told put a girl up front, too me it's a distraction , now if she plays an instrument, and i have used a few good woman players in my own band, that's where it's at for me...but then again Johnny was in love with her,as I have been told....I will keep u updated of his situation...as I hear it from NYC....."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby ABAKUA » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:51 am

As far as I knew they were married....

JB Batanga (as we came to know him) his real name is John Berdeguer. Here is some info on him... CLICK HERE (N.Y HARBOR CONSERVATORY)

Edited By ABAKUA on 1121500564
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:55 am

Double post.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1121500545
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby niche2121 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:12 pm

Twigg, still humble and if your born with it, its already in you, go to Cuba study learn from the root. There's videos that will motivate you, pick up Latin Beat Magazine and buy everything you can on video don't try to learn it or study it let it happen..... watch, listen, go to sleep with it, buy a cd or casette player listen to Cha Cha, Los munequitos, Los Papines, in your sleep/ I know all these people and as a Rumbero and Hijo de Chango..... stay humble in tune and the spiritual peace within well guide you and open doors you never knew existed. This has been my life. Ache
niche2121

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:10 pm

WELCOME NICHE2121......this is one of the best forums online...we welcome your opinion and experience....How long have u been playing? Have u studied with anyone, proper?...I used to live in L.A from 76 to 86 and know everyone that's a player there....Bienvenido!......"JC" Johnny Conga..... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:58 pm

I heard Johnny Almendra is on his way back...you can see him at Congahead there is a video of him "tearing" up them timbales....he looks well too.....I hope he comes back even stronger and better. He is one helluva player and a fellow "Mongo-ite".....I wish him well and success... :D "JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:54 am

Thats great news JC!! Makes me very happy to hear is is doing well.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby El Boni » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:52 pm

Yeah, that's great to hear. It's always distressing to get bad news about good people (though JA takes the piss like I couldn't believe ).

:;):

I first met Johnny in England, and went over to study with him at Harbor a couple of times a few years ago. I've got a sheaf of papers an inch thick he gave me that I'm still working on!

Good to hear too that Harbor is going from strength to strength, and have new teachers. I'd heard a while back that Jose Madera had moved to Arizona though - any idea on that JC?

Re Tomasito, just got volume 3 delivered, and having watched the DVD I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it. Aside from a few patterns I must admit I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to actual Timba rhythms. But it seems like the only approach when playing anything which calls for creativity: apply what you know to make something which supports the music.

B
El Boni

Postby onile » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:00 pm

Alafia Abure El Boni
I hope that you are well and in an abundance of blessings!

A good friend of mine, EJ, from NY, told me that he's been talking to him out here. He told me several months back that Jose Madera had moved out here (AZ). I haven't met up with him though, so I couldn't say for sure, but if I can find something out I'll let you guys know.

Peace!
Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:36 pm

Vaya Onile....goto [email]latinjazz@yahoogroups.com..and[/email] email the forum for Madera's email...I know it's something like ...woodmad. something.....it's there u can talk with him too....maybe u can hok with him...."JC" Johnny Conga..
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:36 pm

Chacho Brothel! You're right on the money JC!

I'll give it a try and let you guys know what happens!

Sweet!

Peace!
Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

PreviousNext

Return to The CongaZine