RIP Ray Barretto-Great Musician, Great Man...

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby SkinDeep » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:15 pm

RAY BARRETTO WAS, IS, AND WILL ALWAYS BE AN INFLUENCE ON ME. BESIDES HIS MUSIC, HIS HARD PLAYING STYLE 'CAUSE WHEN HE PLAYED HE GAVE IT HIS ALL. THE THING THAT REALLY HAS ALWAYS STUCK IN MY MIND IS THE FACT THAT HE WAS ALWAYS VERY PROUD OF HIS AFRICAN HERITAGE AS A BORICUA. HE WOULD WEAR HIS AKUABA, WHICH IS THE SYMBOL OF THE ASHANTI EQUIVALENT TO THE EGYPTIAN ANKH AND OF COURSE HE WAS A REAL SANTERO. THAT'S MY STRONGEST REASON FOR BEING SO PROUD OF EL REY.
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby captainquinto » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:15 am

Article from "NPR" with some audio interviews:

http://www.npr.org/programs/jazzprofiles/archive/barretto.html
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
captainquinto

Postby yoni » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:13 am

What a giant Ray was. Is! I am also deeply saddened by his passing. But I bet his spirit is already jamming away in heaven where he must have a very warm welcome!
Yoni
yoni

Postby Mbalax » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:15 pm

R.I.P.
GRACIAS BARRETTO y QUE VIVA LA MUSICA!!!
ACHÉ
Dani
Mbalax

Postby RayBoogie » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:53 pm

This is a sad day in the percussion world. The passing of a MAESTRO like Ray is devasting to all of us!

I mentioned this in the e-group, Ray Barretto was the first conguero I heard live and he inspired me to get into congas. Back in 1998, me and my daughters mother was breaking up and it was very hard on me. My daughter was a month old and her mother was going back to her home state of Wisconsin. I suffered from a bad case of depression. My best Minerva invited me to the JVC Jaaz Festival. I was not in the best mood and I did not want to socialize that day, but Minerva was not having it. She dragged me out the house, went to Bryant Park to checkout Ray Barretto perform with his New World Spirit band. When Ray went on I was in awe how he had the audience in his hand (no pun intended). To make a long story short, the next day I bought the Ray Barretto cd, hocked the engagement ring, wedding bands and purchased my first conga. If it wasn't for Ray Barretto and Minerva I would not be playing congas today. Thank you so much Mr. Barretto. You touched my life in a way that no one has. R.I.P and Bendicion!! ACHE.
RayBoogie

Postby Diceman » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:49 pm

Thanks Ray
Diceman

Postby Charangaman » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:21 pm

Good luck on the "Other road". Thanks for all the music and inspiration.
Charangaman

Postby Zeno » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:10 pm

I recall first hearing his crossover hit "El Watusi" on AM radio in
Los Angeles around 1962. This was from his Tico LP
"Charanga Moderna". Ray and Mongo were always my models
for strong conga drumming. If memory serves (and it does play
tricks now and then), I seem to recall one evening at the Concord Pavillion in which Ray Barretto's band played after Poncho Sanchez's set which featured Mongo sitting in with the band.

A couple of wonderful albums from the early 70s have
fortunately been reissued (together) and can be now found on
the CD Ray Barretto Carnival. This is where you will hear Ray
play an amazing timbale solo as well as some perfect conga
drum solos along with Jose "Chombo" Silva, "El Negro" Vivar
and others in some wonderful descargas. Check out
"Cocinando Suave" from this set.

I have been reviewing the life's work of this now immortal artist by going over the many many albums. Much respect for this pioneer, may he rest in peace.

PS. Can anyone identify the maker of the conga drum pictured on the Charanga Moderna LP. I am currently restoring a drum exactly like this but do not know any of its history.

Zeno

Edited By Zeno on 1140459971

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 7013-B.jpg
Zeno

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:17 am

I believe it's an original "Vergara" Cuban conga...."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby franc » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:24 am

i was looking foward to see this past saturday for the show ''PUERTO RICO ES SALSA'' waiting for a salsa show dedicated only to el maestro ''RAY BARRETO. can you belive '' Joey Hernandez' host of the show not even once mentioned the passing of our great'' RAY'' not even one video of Barreto. really bad , bad and sad!!! joey hernandez loosing ''cache''. show fading as time goes by, sad, sad. changing subject, the complete island of puerto rico mourned his passing and will be remembered as one of our greatest musician and percusionist for ever.specially in ''Aguadilla''where his roots comes from.. since his death many radio station, specially the popular salsa station ''Z-93'' has being honoring his passing by playing all and only his records, with guests and comments with the public about his life and musical career and still honoring .... ACHE, Z-93. the best salsa station in P.R . peace to all. franc
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:05 pm

A sad day indeed.
I've just returned from a small tour and heard the news while I was away performing at a Festival.

A man to whom so many owe for many things.
Que descanse en paz nuestro hermano Ray.

May he be remembered for how he lived and not how he died.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby SkinDeep » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:22 pm

WELL SAID, ABAKUA.
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Re: RIP Ray Barretto-Great Musician, Great Man...

Postby oldNewConga » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:12 pm

Just rewatched Our Latin Thing. Ray Barretto, what a wonderful percussionist.
oldNewConga

Previous

Return to Open Discussion