Miami area - searching for teacher

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Postby Derbeno » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:14 pm

TONE74 wrote:Derbeno, I got in contact with Kevin Moore (him and Fiol did the first dvds)at Timba.com about the Tomas Cruz Folkloric dvd and he told me to contact him. I e-mailed Tomasito from the web site and got no reply either. Kevin told me that he was pretty sure he had already done the video with a different guy from some state which I cant remember right now. This must have been a while back but so far I haven't heard anything else.

Many thanks for the follow up. I suppose we just have to wait with baited anticipation until they get the production and all the $$$ issues sorted.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby RayPaganJr » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:58 am

I get to meet Mr. Lugo on Thursday to discuss plans on my lessons.
RayPaganJr

Re: Miami area - searching for teacher

Postby seisporocho1 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:05 am

Anybody interested in learning bata and congas, give Lazaro Alfonso a call: 786.541.5435. He was the original conguero for Irakere and played for many people out there. Whenever you hear the original recording of 'Bacalao con Pan', it's him playing.
He is a kept secret in Miami. He's currently my bata teacher and he is known as the best batalero in Miami. Best technique and sound, etc.
Some UM students and other local musicians are catching on and are taking classes with him.
Give this guy a call. Being with him is like going to Cuba.
Let him know Allan sent you!
Aiku,
6x8
seisporocho1

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:53 pm

I was a member of Lazaros "Grupo Ogordo" when i lived in Miami and Lazaro and I were friends and he also taught me Bata...and if u look at my video Johnny Conga Afro-Caribbean multi percussionist you will see me Lazaro , Tomas and I when we were in the Tania Leon production of "Drummin" back in 1997 in Miami.. Lazaro is a consumate gentleman and well versed in Bata and conga drumming...His brother "Nino" was the conga drummer for Irakere, who created the 5 tumbadora set up. When you see him please give him my regards...."JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:55 pm

Hey Ray let me know how it goes with my Bro Freddy "the Luge" Lugo...be specific with him as to what u want to learn ....tell him i said HI!..."JC"Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby tigre77 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:58 pm

Verdad que si. Lazaro is an excellent teacher! Thank you for the hook up seisporocho1!

**update - I've been absent for a long while on many aspects though as a courtesy Lazaro's number has changed to 786-383-6270.
tigre77

Previous

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!