CONGA CAMP - Study with Johnny Conga

A new project has been started, everybody is invited to partecipate .... visit the forum to view more...

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:52 pm

I just had my first student attend my "Conga Intensive" here at my home. Here name is Maria Medina-"Word-Weave-Rumbera".....she will be sending me her critique of her time with me and what she learned. When I recieve it I will post it here........Sigue La Tradicion!..."JC" Johnny Conga..... :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... erafin.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:22 pm

Here is the "critique" from my first Conga Intensive student..Maria Medina Serafin.....

Johnny Conga’s Intensive Conga Training

Set in the beautiful ever greenery of Burien, suburb of Seattle, I found the setting a conducive environment for continuing the development of my skills on conga drums.

Johnny Conga’s ‘Conga robics’ are unique exercises on three drums that helped my arm strength. Some of the drum exercises included the single and double 5-stroke, 7-stroke, and 9-strokes as well as rocking hand (heel and tip) exercises. These exercises help in developing muscle memory and independence that facilitates hand coordination for playing various drum voices. Also covered were muffles, slaps, tones and flams.

Some of the rhythm patterns covered included: tumbao in 7, variations of
the Cumbia, Pilon, and 6/8 Afro variations.

I must note that there are many excellent drummers out in the world but most are not able to teach what they know. The ability to teach comes from learning. Learning, in itself, is a process that never ends. As a teacher of percussion, Johnny Conga’s methods are clearly imparted to the student with patience. I began drumming on my own and in the parks with street drummers. The most important part of what I got from this intensive drumming week was clean drumming ‘technique’. Pure, simple, and safe technique which allows me to ‘wow’ folks when they see this diminutive woman play congas con gusto!

As a performer, I was treated to witnessing my teacher’s expertise drumming in such diverse settings as with a latin jazz and salsa bands, to playing congas, bongos and tambourine with a blues trio. Johnny Conga is an inspiring conguero and rumbero.

My drumming intensive with Johnny Conga has provided me with a lifetime of valuable knowledge that will extend from me to my students.

Gracias Maestro! ......
JohnnyConga

Postby Smejmoon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:17 am

On Sunday I took out CD from car stereo and radio turned on. Usually I'm not interested in radio and quality of broadcasts is not good in this area. But this time I heard a bongo solo and decided to listen for a while. Music was not that bad at all . :)

Then someone started to speak in mixture of American English and American Spanish slang, that instantly reminded me of this board. And there we go - I was listening to great Johnny Conga. :cool:

Great job Johnny! I did not hear all show, but enjoyed your program while driving.
G'irts
Smejmoon

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:12 am

Thanks G'irts....yes my radio is on saturdays at 6pm online at [URL=http://www.kbcs.fm-91.3FM.....for]http://www.kbcs.fm-91.3FM.....
THE BEST IN LATIN MUSIC!......American Spanish Slang..hahahahahahahahahaha...I know. The Puerto Ricans think I'm Cuban, and the Cubans think Im Puerto Rican, when I speak spanish with them....hahahahaha...Thanks again for tuning in....Sigue La Tradicion!..."JC" Johnny Conga....Host/Creator of "AL LADO LATINO-91.3 FM-Seattle,WA..... :D

Edited By JohnnyConga on 1188426299
JohnnyConga

Postby zwar » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:42 pm

ho jc

thats nice and tastefull playing, surely people will enjoy your camp and find enough stuff to learn.

respect

zwar
zwar

Postby Congadelica » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:53 pm

Wow , you crammed a heap load into that video JC .
Your percussive skills are inspirational . I can see from your expresion you love what you do , It s a pitty I dont live that side of the pond or Id be up for a CC with you bro. :cool:

marco
Congadelica

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:47 pm

Tks guys and for those that havent checked me out yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqaHLhinvPo

Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby GuruPimpi » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:39 pm

JC!

Waw! Nice to finally see you!
MUCHO RESPECTO!

Primoz
GuruPimpi

Postby ralph » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:02 am

looking good Johnny...good to see you play finally...
ralph

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:13 pm

Hey guys here is another New video of me with a "fusion" Indian/Latin band from Seattle-Anjuman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Uz9lKU89Y

Enjoy!...."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:32 pm

Vaya! Que cosa! Awesome stuff JC, nice to see the footage up finally, very nicely done.
I still got them tracks you sent me on MSN those years ago, I still dig em and listen often.
Chevere hermano. :cool:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:06 pm

Hello.....I just had a New student/now friend from Kildore County, Ireland, who just spent 3 days with me for my "Conga/Intensive"....up to 6 hours each day...he will soon post his impressions of my Teaching "methods' and what he learned from me. He also was inspired enough to go out and buy 2 new Galaxy congas to take back to Ireland with him, and I supplied the Conga boxes for him. I had some laying around...his name is David Day and he will post here soon....."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D ....
PS please read the above statements from a school I taught at and one of my first C-C/Intensive students....Gracias/Thank you...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:29 am

Here is my latest CC/I Student...David Day from Kildare Co. Ireland, he spent 3 days with me at my home studio..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... -Image.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:49 pm

September 25, 2007

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing as a reference for “Johnny Conga.” I met John in 2001 when he first moved to the Seattle area and watched him build a musical life around his teaching and performances. He is one of the most determined hard working musicians that I have encountered. At the time he auditioned for us he had relocated in Seattle from Miami where he taught as an adjunct faculty member at the University of Miami, one of the leading university music programs in the United States. Since 2001 John has become one of the prominent band leaders for Latin music performance and instruction in this region. He also is a fine band leader, vibraphone player, composer and arranger.

Music Works interviewed and hired him to teach private and group lessons on Latin percussion instruments in 2002. We were impressed with his confidence and organization. He auditioned by giving the interviewing committee a lesson. His approach engaged all of us including the classical pianists! The lesson demonstrated his amazing energy and commitment. He is one of the few Latin percussion teachers who have a structured approach to teaching.

I believe that the students who have contact with John benefit from his enthusiasm, experience and business expertise. He has a skill set that isn’t really taught in the academic world, resulting from years of experience as a performer and instructor. If you are looking for a good role model who works hard, knows his subject and delivers results John is worth a serious look. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. 425-644-0988 ext. 104.

Sincerely,

Scott A. Ketron
Artistic Director

scott@musicworksnw.org

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zqaHLhinvPo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Uz9lKU89Y

Gracias a todos aqui!...Thank you all here at the forum .

Fro those that are interested in my "Conga-Camp/Intensive" please email me at johnnyconga@hotmail.com and NOT thru this forum.....Gracias/Thank you....Pearl Artist-Johnny Conga

--------------
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:02 pm

Unsolicited thumbs up for JC - FWIW, I'm an average joe who's been dabbling in congas for years, & gone to SO many group lessons, but Johnny has really helped me sharpen it up! If you are willing to do your homework he can really help you improve your skills. Dave LaRaus-Seattle,Wa
JohnnyConga

Next

Return to The CongaZine