Charlie "El Pirata" Cotto - El timbal esta de luto.

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby tamboricua » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:06 pm

On a very sad note coming from Puerto Rico. Timbalero Charlie "El Pirata" Cotto passed away yesterday in a local hospital. For those of you not familar with Charlie's work. Some of his best work, were his collaborations with Eddie Palmieri, Batacumbele, and Richie Ray and Bobby Cruz Orquestra, in which his timbal solos on "Sonido Bestial" and "La Zafra" are classics. He was a fixture featured timbalero on the famous "Batalla de los Palos" timbal duels concerts in Puerto Rico, along with other timbal legends like Edgardo Morales, Tito de Gracia, and Nicky Marrero. May he rest in peace.

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Raymond » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:33 pm

Yes, Charlie was a great one! I do have a copy of the entire "Batalla de los Palos" with him, Nicky Marrero, Tito de Gracia, Edgardo Morales and Ralph Irrizary.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby tamboricua » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:40 pm

One of the best percussion section ever assembled was Eddie Palmieri's section around the late 1980's, which consisted of Charlie Cotto on timbal, Giovanni Hidalgo on tumbadoras, and Anthony Carrillo on bongó. Que trabuco!!!!!!!!!!!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on Oct. 07 2003 at 19:56
tamboricua

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:54 pm

I have this video Charlie Cotto, Nicky Marrero and Eladio Perex with EP and Big Brother Charlie. Get this Eddie and Charlie on double piano and Charlie Cotto and Nicky Marrero on double timbales, weird. But anyway RIP "Pirata"!
RitmoBoricua

Postby tamboricua » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:59 pm

RitmoBoricua wrote:I have this video Charlie Cotto, Nicky Marrero and Eladio Perex with EP and Big Brother Charlie. Get this Eddie and Charlie on double piano and Charlie Cotto and Nicky Marrero on double timbales, weird. But anyway RIP "Pirata"!

Yeah very nive stuff from a Colombian TV program, I believe?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:42 am

My Condolences to the Cotto family. Charlie will be with us as long as we have the music he recorded for us to listen and admire. He was one of the "greats" on timbales.........RIP
JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:50 pm

tamboricua wrote:
RitmoBoricua wrote:I have this video Charlie Cotto, Nicky Marrero and Eladio Perex with EP and Big Brother Charlie. Get this Eddie and Charlie on double piano and Charlie Cotto and Nicky Marrero on double timbales, weird. But anyway RIP "Pirata"!

Yeah very nive stuff from a Colombian TV program, I believe?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Yeah that's the one! :)
RitmoBoricua

Return to Timbales