Have u ever heard of ....

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

Re: Have u ever heard of ....

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:15 am

"Cookie" Lopez.. she was the very first female conguera I saw way back in 1967, when she was only 18, and she was playing with the Bernard Williams LJOctet.. she walked out on one tune in a short skirt up to two congas on stands and preceded to take a conga solo, that impressed the %^*^ out of me..I eventually met her years later in Miami where she has lived most of her life since coming from Cuba...she still gigs with her x husband "Manny Lopez" and has worked with an array of artists over the past 35 years... here she is at when i saw her and then what she looks like today...."JC" Johnny Conga
__tn_From+Miami-Cookie+Lopez.jpg
__tn_From+Miami-Cookie+Lopez.jpg (2.37 KiB) Viewed 13389 times
pic.php.jpg
pic.php.jpg (9.25 KiB) Viewed 13388 times
JohnnyConga

Postby CongaTick » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:36 pm

Man, getting old sucks.
CongaTick

Postby KING CONGA » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:26 pm

CongaTick wrote:Man, getting old sucks.

What are you talking about the lady still looks beautiful. Its nice to see that she continues to conect with the drum.
KING CONGA

Postby debbie » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:12 am

Man, getting old sucks.

what a stupid thing to say!!!
debbie

Postby CongaTick » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:23 pm

Yep, she is a beautiful woman and I am so glad that she is still kickin it. But I think the old farts on the forum can attest to the fact that the evolution between our early pix and our current look -- "beautiful" as it may be-- undeniably supports the hard fact that GETTING OLD SUCKS!!!
CongaTick

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:37 am

SKIP AND I go way back, and I mean waaaaaaaaaaaaay back. We were room mates in L.A. in the early 80's and hung again in Miami, in the 90's...he is the truest form of a rumbero, but born and bred in our hood 'THE BRONX"...He can be seen playing quinto and singing at the site called Sentimiento Manana just look for his name and clik on it..."JC" Johnny Conga

Skip Burney.jpg

Skip "Brinquito" Burney
When I first became really interested in learning afro cuban rhythms, I called Puntilla. Puntilla was not teaching at the time and the first person he recommended was a cat named "Skip". Puntilla had called Skip, "un tambolero completo". I had not heard of Skip before talking to Puntilla so I was real curious as to what he knew and what he could teach me. Puntilla gave me Skip's number and I called him at his place on West Farms. Now Skip is a rather tough cat to get a hold of, but I was able to talk to him.
I have tried to find as much info as I possible could about Skip, here is some info that I got off of a workshop that he was doing 2002.

Born Kenneth Benjimen Burney in the Bronx on July 20, 1953, Skip was tutored beginning at the age of 8 by his mother, Madame Lucille Burney, who along with Leontyne Price, Inid Dale and Chancy Northern were among the first black musicians at the Julliard School of Music. At 13, Skip met Pancho Mora, a Yoruba priest, and was introduced toYoruba culture. After attending Juliard and receiving a master's degree in Theory & Composition, Skip studied & performed with Baba Chief Hawthorne Bey, Julito Collazo, Machito, Patato Valdez, Totico, the national Ballet of Guinea, Tito Puente, Orestes Vilato, and Chico Perez. Skip was introduced to Orlando "Puntilla" Rios, who has become Skip's mentor and padrino (godfather) in the Anya society. Skip, whom Downbeat Magazine has called "the Charlie Parker of drumming," has also studied trap drumming with the likes of Roy Brook, Louis Haye, Art Blakey and Billy Higgins.

Here is another write up on Skip (from a workshop in 08'):

Skip Burney ‘aka’ Brinquito graduated with a Masters in Voice from Julliard. He has since studied Afro-Cuban percussion with Julito Collazo, Lazaro Galarraga, Hector Hernandez ‘aka’ Flaco, Mongo Santamaria and Armando Peraza.
He met his godfather, Orlando Antonio Rios Alfonso ‘aka’ Puntilla. Skip performs with Puntilla in the group New Generation (Nueva Generacion). In 2002, he went to Cuba with Puntilla and was initiated into the priesthood of Aganju.
Skip has recorded and performed with Karen Briggs, Miles Davis, Joe Henderson, McCoy Tyner, Chaka Kahn, Monyongo Jackson and the Jungle Book Band, Bill Summers, Herbie Hancock, Quincy Jones, Dianne Reeves, Tanya Leon, Sting, Vinx, Phil Collins, Cirque De Soile, John Mac Laughlin, Gene Golden and Quinto Mayor, Saoco, Edwin Bonillia, Lefty Perez, Tito Allen, Charlie Palmieri, Ray Santiago, Stanley Clark, Bradford Marcelis, Trelok Gurtu, and Nu Guajiro.

He currently heads his Afro Cuban Ensemble, Eru Chambo and his latin jazz band, Quimbombo.
JohnnyConga

Postby jorge » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:55 pm

Skip is a really talented drummer and teacher. I first met him in 1972 at the Central Park rumba, he used to hang out with Felix Sanabria and Abie Rodriguez, the 3 of them were probably the best NYC rumberos in the park back in those days. These days he mostly plays bata and rumba/guarapachangueo, and usually teaches on Saturdays. If you want to see him play rumba, he will be playing this Sunday, 11/29, starting around 6 pm with a Cuban rumba group at La Nueva Guacara, 915 Bergenline Ave corner 9th St, Union City NJ, 201 867-0064. The group, led by Clemente Medina, usually has "Chino" Jose Real and Pedrito Domech or El Moro singing, Gene Golden on tres dos, Medina or Skip on quinto, an amazing tumbador named Diosvany on bass cajon and salidor, and Felix "Matanzas" on cata and coro. Last week they played until about 9:30. This is a new venue for rumba in NJ, and will probably continue every Sunday 6-10 pm. Bring hearing protection for the DJ, he has a huge system, seems to be partially deaf, and is completely unresponsive to volume complaints. The group plays great guarapachangueo / mambochambo / traditional rumba, with a little Abakua, guiro, and makuta mixed in.
jorge

Postby niallgregory » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:18 pm

Whats mambochambo ?
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby jorge » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:05 pm

Mambochambo is a word, along with guarapachangueo and jiribilla, used for modern forms of rumba played in La Habana. Usually it is played on cajones and one or a few tumbadoras, with a lot more improvisation on the tumba part than traditional guaguanco. If the musicians have all mastered traditional guaguanco and columbia, it can sound really amazing, with the different tones adding another dimension to the traditional rhythm. If any of the drummers' timing is just a little bit off, or the musicians don't know each other well enough for each to predict what the others are going to play at any given second and avoid playing on top of each other, it can sound like complete chaos to someone who knows what rumba should sound like, and worse to uninitiated listeners.
jorge

Postby niallgregory » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:25 pm

jorge wrote:Mambochambo is a word, along with guarapachangueo and jiribilla, used for modern forms of rumba played in La Habana. Usually it is played on cajones and one or a few tumbadoras, with a lot more improvisation on the tumba part than traditional guaguanco. If the musicians have all mastered traditional guaguanco and columbia, it can sound really amazing, with the different tones adding another dimension to the traditional rhythm. If any of the drummers' timing is just a little bit off, or the musicians don't know each other well enough for each to predict what the others are going to play at any given second and avoid playing on top of each other, it can sound like complete chaos to someone who knows what rumba should sound like, and worse to uninitiated listeners.

Thanks for reply . Have been a in havana a few times and been studying and playing the music for a while and have never come across this term before ? Dosent sound any different to guarapachangueo to me . Are there any distinct differences you can tell me about ?
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:34 pm

MamboChambo is probably a made up NY street term for a form of rumba there now....

here is a recording of the late great player Sabu Martinez from 1973..Sabu had a sometime nefarious reputation in NYCity back in the 50's, he was lefty and a strong player. He was Puerto Rican.As the 'inside' story goes he had to leave the states because of him stealing production money for the Palo recording and blowing it on drugs( I can't prove this but that has been the story in NY for a long time)...he moved to Europe never to return, and lived in Sweden.. there is also a site to him online just Google his name to learn more about Sabu Martinez...chek him out also with Arsenio Rodriguez on the CD Palo on blue note records hey for you youngbloods here...just to let you know it's ALL been done before..... :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4YZfqkht
JohnnyConga

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:20 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:MamboChambo is probably a made up NY street term for a form of rumba there now....

here is a recording of the late great player Sabu Martinez from 1973..Sabu had a sometime nefarious reputation in NYCity back in the 50's, he was lefty and a strong player. He was Puerto Rican.As the 'inside' story goes he had to leave the states because of him stealing production money for the Palo recording and blowing it on drugs( I can't prove this but that has been the story in NY for a long time)...he moved to Europe never to return, and lived in Sweden.. there is also a site to him online just Google his name to learn more about Sabu Martinez...chek him out also with Arsenio Rodriguez on the CD Palo on blue note records hey for you youngbloods here...just to let you know it's ALL been done before..... :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4YZfqkht

I've been a fan of Sabu for a while now, I have about 4 - 5 of his CD's. The Palo Congo one you mention with Arsenio is
probably the best of the bunch.

Sabu also features prominently on a couple of Art Blakey albums, Orgy in Rhythm and Holiday in Skins. Cool stuff!
bongosnotbombs

Postby pcastag » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:39 am

Skip was my first real afro-cuban teacher here in Houston in 1992-3, they used to come play tambors with Puntilla for a colombian santero who had lots of bread, :shock: hmmm, anyways he and abey would come to the house, hit the 'Bongosi" and throw down mean stuff from arara to yuka and beyond. Skip truly is a treasure trove of rhythms, and like Michal Spiro can communicate and teach well to people raised in the western tradition. I'll never forget one night at the house I made some spaghetti and skip, pepe and braham were at teh house, pepe in his broken english points to the joint they were passing 'my old friend". hilarious. We aslo got to sit and watch pepe abraham and skip pull the fundamentos, quite an honor for some young kids just starting out.
Paolo
PC
pcastag

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:46 pm

RAYMOND ORCHART? AKA "RAY ARMANDO".....RAY has been around since the late 50's out of New York City...he worked/recorded with the La Playa Sextet, Tito Puente, Hector Rivera, Gato Barbieri and many many other Latin, Jazz and Brasilian artists. Ray is alive and well and living in Los Angeles..here is a a photo from tuesday nights benefit for Victor Pantoja....
ray armando.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby jorge » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:53 am

Adonis Panter Calderon, playing quinto on this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWyCGU6U ... r_embedded

This is what the young rumberos are playing in La Habana now. Michael Herrera Perez and Barbarito Crespo Richa on tumba and tres dos. Adonis plays quinto and bonko with Yoruba Andabo. Gene Golden told me about this guy last week, I watched about 6 or 8 of his clips on YouTube (put up by AtticChris) and Mark Sanders put this clip on his Fidelseyglasses website today. This is the best demonstration of guarapachangueo / mambochambo / jiribilla I have seen and heard in years, maybe ever. Thank you Gene and Mark. I don't know the exact difference among those 3 terms, and it seems there is not complete agreement among rumberos here and in Cuba on what each means, but people might apply any of the 3 to this rhythm. Usually the tumba is played on a cajon and a tumbadora rather than an Iya and tumbadora, but it depends what is available at the time. Jiribilla is an old Cuban style of rumba, faster, more like a Columbia than this. Guarapachangueo, according to rumberos in NYC, was the term Manuel Martinez Oliva "El Llanero" disparagingly gave the rhythm Los Chinitos were playing, which according to the story, he did not like. A lot of old school rumberos don't like this new style, especially when it is not played impeccably. According to Eddie Bobe, who I asked about this, mambochambo is an old word in the rumba vernacular, but it is of unclear origin. I have heard people use it to describe rumbas similar to this. Regardless of what you call this style of rumba, when played right it can be amazing, like this video. When not played exactly right (or when the drummers are just learning), it can easily degenerate into something an old master rumbero might call guarapachangueo or mumbo jumbo (mambochambo???). Maybe that is where the word mambochambo came from.

LIsten to and watch Adonis Panter Calderon play quinto. He plays really clean, well defined, sure of every note. He is not soloing. He is talking with all the other drummers and singers. Most of his notes wouldn't make any sense, they wouldn't be music or rhythms without the other drums, clave, coro, and guagua. His notes make sense and sound like rumba only because of the rest of the parts playing with him. Most importantly, he does not overplay like the majority of the quinto players I hear playing rumba in NYC and other places in the US, at rumbas and on recordings. In spite of the other 2 drummers talking, he rarely hits on top of one of their notes. Very few rolls. No "maiz tostado" - the random sound of popcorn popping - that so many conga players are doing these days. Every note is in its place. In clave. Did I say clean? He plays even less than the quinto in a traditional guaguanco or columbia, there is so much more going on with the other drums. El Chori (original quinto with Yoruba Andabo) used to play like that too. Check out all the other videos AtticChris has put up on YouTube, you will see Adonis playing bonko, palo, bata, all the parts of rumba, dancing columbia, singing. Aprenda.
jorge

PreviousNext

Return to News