Have u ever heard of ....

This forum will be used by CongaPlace to announce what's new on-line... have a look at the new stuff and come back here for a quick comment! In this forum is not allowed to post new topic [reply only].

Re: Have u ever heard of ....

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:46 pm

Ive been keeping an eye on Adonis for quite some time now, def a name to look out for in years to come. The brother has it down. 8)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:11 pm

RITCHIE "PABLO" LANDRUM.....half Cuban and half African American "Pab" was a student of Julito Collazo..He was my first Jimbe teacher and worked and recorded with Olatunji's drummers and dancers, along with a host of black jazz musicans...here is is on the right with Gene Golden i
7533_1044390246841_1738190766_92703_1237048_n.jpg
n the middle and a young Steve Berrios this other phote of Afro American drummers 1962 from right to left is Garvin Masseux,Baba Femi, Pablo Landrum and Gene Golden....African Americans were also playing rumba in New York as well as African rhythms..
Rumba Afro Americano.jpg
"JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby jorge » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:03 pm

So that is Garvin with the striped shirt and striped drum? Gene Golden is always telling me what a great quinto player Garvin was, but I never met him and never even saw a picture of him until now. Thanks, JC.
jorge

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:00 am

jorge wrote:Adonis Panter Calderon, playing quinto on this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWyCGU6U ... r_embedded

Very few rolls. No "maiz tostado" - the random sound of popcorn popping - that so many conga players are doing these days. Every note is in its place. In clave. Did I say clean? He plays even less than the quinto in a traditional guaguanco or columbia, there is so much more going on with the other drums. El Chori (original quinto with Yoruba Andabo) used to play like that too.

Si Señor.... "Less is more"

Cuero na' ma'

Markito :wink:
Vintage, classic and contemporary Cuban tumbadoras a.k.a. congas and bongoes made in Cuba:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1418352131820747/
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:20 am

JohnnyConga wrote:RITCHIE "PABLO" LANDRUM.....half Cuban and half African American "Pab" was a student of Julito Collazo..He was my first Jimbe teacher and worked and recorded with Olatunji's drummers and dancers, along with a host of black jazz musicans...here is is on the right with Gene Golden i
7533_1044390246841_1738190766_92703_1237048_n.jpg
n the middle and a young Steve Berrios this other phote of Afro American drummers 1962 from right to left is Garvin Masseux,Baba Femi, Pablo Landrum and Gene Golden....African Americans were also playing rumba in New York as well as African rhythms..
Rumba Afro Americano.jpg
"JC" Johnny Conga

Saludos J.C.!
Wow... these photos... what memories.
Somewhere I have photos of the late 'Ronnie Love' ("Balogún") and Scott Dowling ("Akinshelé") carving/making drums together with my pops on a farm in upstate N.Y. in 1972, '73. I have to look for them.

Johnny, I think you may have sent me an email quite a while back?... if I didn't get back to you, forgive me 'cause I get a lot of emails that I think I responded to, but may not have.
I enjoy reading all your posts in this most interesting board.

A few days ago I looked at all the photos on your MySpace page/s... great photos, I really enjoyed looking at them.

With much respect,

Markito S.
Vintage, classic and contemporary Cuban tumbadoras a.k.a. congas and bongoes made in Cuba:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1418352131820747/
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:55 pm

MARKITO I knew them both and played along side with them in the Chuck Davis Afro-American Dance C0.back in the late 60's early 70's in NYcity...Yomi Yomi Awoldwo was lead drummer at the time and Balagun also played lead. Yomi was my first djimbe teacher, then Pablo Landrum at I.S. 201 Jazzmobile in Harlem. "JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:19 pm

MAX GARDUNO...73 years old today!...Happy Birthday Max!....Max;s career spans over 50 years in the music business having worked with some of the biggest names in the industry from the 50's to today...some of those Artists are El Chicano(Celebration), Rene Touzet,Gerald Wilson Orch., Eddie Cano(Live at PJ's), Freedom Sounds, Wayne Henderson, Roland Bautista,Willie Bobo and many others...here is Max today...."JC" Johnny Conga PS you can find Max on Facebook....
MAX GARDUNO.jpg
PS CHECK OUT HIS CONGA COVERS ON HIS CONGA DRUMS IN THE PHOTO...HE MAKES THEM...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:58 am

Eliel Lazo?....one of the up and coming young lions of today from Cuba...this brother can play and is smooth as silk .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEyvQ4cikYI
Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby jorge » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:56 pm

Yeah, JC, thanks for showing us that clip of Eliel Lazo - smooth, creative, very musical duet with the bass player, beautiful style. Not only does he stay in clave and keep the rumba feeling when he is playing but he seems to actually be playing clave with his foot while he is playing congas.
jorge

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:19 am

Ok guys don''t hold your breath on this one u won't make it... "Manu" Bizeau is his name...he is French and lives in my hood-"Da Bronx"...your gonna think the film is sped up on some of the things he does, but it's not...he's got that speed and clarity.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5c0oX3yY0E here is his myspace sight to learn more about this incredible player .. http://www.myspace.com/grupoomelenko
JohnnyConga

Postby Anonimo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:45 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:39 pm

Marina Bambino? Marina took lessons with me way back in the early 80's in L.A. she has been working steady ever since and has recorded with some of the Top artists of the day...
she is Puerto Rican/Italian from New York city... currently working with Macy Grey....

1335566583_l.jpg
"JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:20 pm

Earnesto Pedianco... he has been on the Seattle scene for over 25 years and counting. A 'hard hitting' player of the 'ol skool', who has worked with every Latin band started here Cambalache, Sonando, Nueva Era, Expresion Latino, and others.He continues to work with them today. I have had the pleasure of sharing the stage with my Drum Brother Earnesto..all round great guy and can customize your percussion equipment and fix anything wrong with them....he can also build you a bongo stand for sitting down to your specifications...chek him out on Face book and MySpace.com ..."JC" Johnny Conga
Earnesto Pedianco.jpg
Earnesto Pedianco 1.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:15 pm

DANNY 'OSEIKU' DIAZ....Danny has been on the scene for over 40 years...we played together with the Chuck Davis Afro American Dance Co.in NYCity. He has also worked with Ashford and Simpson, Harry Belafonte, Eartha Kitt, Forces of Nature, Tania Leon, and many other groups..Danny is still active today and has his hands working with a variety of groups ..."JC" Johnny Conga
Danny Diaz.JPG
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:12 pm

TOR DIETRICHSON....About Tor Dietrichson
Tor Dietrichson is a multi percussionist, multi bandleader, vocalist and composer who plays a wide variety of music from all around the world. He has worked and/or recorded with many world renowned artists such as India's top tabla player Zakir Hussain, Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart, Santana percussionist Karl Perazzo, virtuoso violinist Steve Kindler, guitarist Joaquin Lievano, flutist Paul Horn, Brazilian vocalist Flora Purim, and numerous others. He was an original member of the legendary Diga Rhythm Band with Zakir Hussain and Mickey Hart, joining the band while still a teenager. He currently has numerous bands performing around the Seattle area featuring many of the Pacific Northwest's finest artists.
My Buddy Tor has been a mainstay here in Seattle for a very long time..one of the first guys to give me a gig here in Seattle, all round great guy and great player-congas/tablas..etc.
chek out his recorded music at http://www.myspace.com/tordietrichson
with Tor Dietrichson at the Triple Door 2008.jpg
with his band Mambo Cadillac at the Triple Door-Seattle,WA
JohnnyConga

PreviousNext

Return to News