Did CongaZine Die?

A new project has been started, everybody is invited to partecipate .... visit the forum to view more...

Postby Bongo Boy » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:20 am

Hey just checking in after two years away from the drum. Just redid my conga heads and am start to pound away again. Did the CongaZine idea evaporate. What the heck is going on around here, how is Johnny C, whazzup with everybody?

I went off to do the guitar thing, and am still at that, but from time to time I gotta smack the skins. My daughter got me a real nice LP African Clave for Christmas and that's a real nice thing. Next up I need a guiro. So I'm still tryin' to get the ritmo--kinda hard for this old guy.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Bongo Boy

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:45 am

OK Bongo B....Yes i'm still here. Latest news on Johnny Conga. Just finished up on 2 latest recording dates at Ironwood Studios,Seattle with the smooth jazz band "Midnite Walk". They expect a spring release. The other band I recorded for was a Reggae/R&B band called Talisman, who have been together here in the Pacific Northwest for 20 years. They will also have a spring release. On these recordings I played congas/bongos/timbales/wind chimes/shakers-variety/chekere/triangle/japanese gong/criket/hoofs-african ankle bracelet/tamborine/ago-go bell/cha bell/mambo bell. I cut 9 tunes in less than 4 hours, utilizing the above mentioned perc. They allowed me to basically play what I heard and I gave them variety of patterns/rhythms to pick from and what toys they may have wanted also. They did give me a rough mix CD to listen to so that I could garner my ideas for the session. I have a NEW band I call Johnny Conga & Tumba Caliente, and have just started to do gigs around the Seattle area. I am also currently on the latest release from Cuban Miami musician Bobby Ramirez-"Pan Con Bistec" with a host of great Miami Cuban and Puerto Rican musicians. Goto BobbyRamirez.com....well that's my news at this time....C U on the Road......JC JOHNNY CONGA.....
Johnny Conga

Postby Bongo Boy » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:25 am

That is fantastic news! I can't think of any way to get to Seattle 'cause Nor Cal is my beat, but If I can figure it out I'll be looking for you. Very happy to see you're keeping busy (to say the least).
Bongo Boy

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:22 pm

Wow Maynard G Krebbs...my old beatnik hero....he played bongos on a couple of episodes of Dobie Gillis..Or is that before your time?......Thanks BB....JCJOHNNY CONGA...
Johnny Conga

Postby zaragemca » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:13 am

I'm glad you are keeping the machine going brother Johnny,I wish you the best,Gerry.
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Bongo Boy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:08 am

Johnny Conga wrote:Wow Maynard G Krebbs...my old beatnik hero....he played bongos on a couple of episodes of Dobie Gillis..Or is that before your time?......Thanks BB....JCJOHNNY CONGA...

No, not before my time--sad to say.
Bongo Boy

Postby Johnny Conga » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:22 pm

It is with a sad heart that I pass this news. James Hawthorne also known as "Chief Bey" has passed on at the age of 91. He was very well known in New York City and around the world drumming communities. He had many "aijados" (children) in his house as a "Baba". He was also known to own the "Drum Bible" which tells of the beginnings of drumming ,history,and more,but he never revealed it to but a few. That is how I knew about it,when I was still living in New York. Hopefully that book if it is in existense, would be allowed to public for purchase or study. "Chief Bey" recorded with many Jazz artists as well Latin artists. He will be missed by many....RIP Chief Bey!.......JC JOHNNY CONGA....
Johnny Conga

Postby Johnny Conga » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:16 pm

A great Drummer/Baba has passed "Chief Bey" of New York City, at the age of 91......JC JOHNNYCONGA....
Johnny Conga

Postby Johnny Conga » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:44 pm

Here is what's happening for me in May: May 5th we(Tumba Caliente) will be at the Tacoma Community College for Cinco de Mayo festival. Then on the 22nd we are at The Century Ballroom. The 28th we are performing for the 2nd annual Tacoma Jazz Festival at "JazzBones" in Tacoma. Then it's off to Canada-Vancouver to play at the Sheraton Wall Center. I have also just become a member of the Michael Schrieve Band "TangleTown". Michael is the "original" drummer for Santana and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer. We will be going into the studio to record for an upcoming CD release of this new band. The band consists of 2 drummers 2 guitarists 2 percussionists one keyboard, bass and electronic trumpet. It SMOKES!......I also have an audition this week coming for the Cirque Du Soleil, who are looking for "ethnic" multi-percussionists.......Peace and Congas.....JC JOHNNY CONGA...
:;):
Johnny Conga

Postby tamboricua » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:58 pm

Hi JC,

Hope all is well! It's great to hear that things are starting to roll for you in Seattle. Wishing you all the best on your upcoming projects. How the audition for Cirque Du Soleil went?

All the best,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Johnny Conga » Sat May 01, 2004 3:23 pm

Grcias Jorge...Things have picked up for me in the last 3 months ,literally. I 've got work for my New band-Tumba Caliente, I've become a member also of YerbaBuena a 12 piece Charanga orchestra and have also joined the Michael Shrieve Band(X Santana Drummer & Rock and Roll Hall of Famer). MY audition is this coming monday and a bit nervous cause I have no idea what to expect from them. I know they will have 2 or 3 "pieces" for me to perform to,so that leaves a lot to the imagination.Which is what the Cirque is about. I have also been approached by the Seattle Seahawks to provide entertainment for their half time shows. So I can't complain, things for me are finally turning around here in Seattle for me. I will let you know on tuesday how it all went. Peace...JC JOHNNY CONGA. :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby tamboricua » Sun May 02, 2004 1:47 pm

Johnny Conga wrote:MY audition is this coming monday and a bit nervous cause I have no idea what to expect from them. I know they will have 2 or 3 "pieces" for me to perform to,so that leaves a lot to the imagination.Which is what the Cirque is about.

JC,

Relax my friend! I'm sure you will nail it down.

All the best,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Johnny Conga » Mon May 03, 2004 3:57 pm

Gracias Jorge..I will let you know tomorrow how it all went. I did go by yesterday to check on where it will be and the equipment I will be using. I also got a sneek peak at the percussion page for the audition. It just had 4 titles of something on it. No charts that I could see at all were being used, though they said a "conductor" will be there. There are 5 guys before me, I hit at 6pm today. Pa'lante!.....JC JOHNNY CONGA.. :D
Johnny Conga

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue May 04, 2004 4:40 pm

For those interested.. I PASSED THE AUDITION for the Cirque Du Soleil. It was a trip,no charts, just a conductor with hand signals an counting bars for breaks, while playing along to "track music". They had me play congas, jimbe, toys, timbales and then by myself. they told me to step outside for 5 minutes , they called me back in to Congratulate me and to tell me I have passed the first step. They said they would use me in the "Special Events Department". So to say that I'm excited is to say the least about the experience and the opportunity that awaits me......See you at The Cirque!....JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :D
Johnny Conga

Postby tamboricua » Tue May 04, 2004 4:51 pm

Johnny Conga wrote:For those interested.. I PASSED THE AUDITION for the Cirque Du Soleil. It was a trip,no charts, just a conductor with hand signals an counting bars for breaks, while playing along to "track music". They had me play congas, jimbe, toys, timbales and then by myself. they told me to step outside for 5 minutes , they called me back in to Congratulate me and to tell me I have passed the first step. They said they would use me in the "Special Events Department". So to say that I'm excited is to say the least about the experience and the opportunity that awaits me......See you at The Cirque!....JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :D

I knew it JC, congratulations!!!!!!!

JC, what style of music were the tracks in the audition? Did they have all the breaks notated for you?

All the best,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1083695774
tamboricua

Next

Return to The CongaZine