Phoenix: Matanzas Bata Instruction

Teachers looking for students and vice-versa can use this forum to post their announcements (please include State, City and Contact infos)

Phoenix: Matanzas Bata Instruction

Postby bengon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:17 pm

Greetings all. I'm currently offering Matanzas style bata instruction in Phoenix AZ. I've studied with some very heavy players, including extensive studies with Maykel Gazmuri from the Lenguage del Tambor DVD and Los Reyes del Tambor, and Amilkar Pena (Havana style), among others.

I also offer lessons in Congas and Brazilian percussion, although my specialty is bata. All levels welcome.

Please pm me here if you are interested.
bengon

Re: Phoenix: Matanzas Bata Instruction

Postby OLSONGO » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:36 am

Let me ask you how many latino students do you expect to get ? considering that with that new law ...because of their hispanic background or skin color they will be harassed by the police when carrying a drum down the street.

Peace
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby bengon » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:28 pm

I'm not sure what this has to do with me offering lessons. That being said, I think that the Obama administration will block SB-1070. Hopefully all this will result in some reasonable immigration reform, although I won't keep my fingers crossed.

Also.. It's way too hot here to carry anything down the street!
bengon

Postby OLSONGO » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:15 pm

To my understanding there are a lot of brothers who fear going out into the street to avoid harassment,. so do you make house calls? because as you said is to hot to carry anything no less go out.

Peace
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:43 am

OLSONGO wrote:Let me ask you how many latino students do you expect to get ? considering that with that new law ...because of their hispanic background or skin color they will be harassed by the police when carrying a drum down the street.

Peace
Olsongo

WTF????

Sorry to go off topic but what the hell is that about?
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby OLSONGO » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:06 am

Abakua , there is this law that the state of Arizona will be passing this month so that the police can stop any person on the streets and ask them for their papers , and they are targeting Hispanics and those who are illegal without papers will be jailed and later deported. They feel that will stop the influx of immigrants from the south , who may be criminals and drug traffickers, and its their problem American's use drugs . Look it up on the net its all over the news here.

Peace
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby onile » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:09 am

Oye Papa, it's all fuckydyupydyist out here right now!

It's All political, sprinkled with a bit of potential racism for flavor.
Over the past 3 to 4 years or so, there has been an increase in criminal activity in which the assailant, or perpetrator has been an "undocumented alien" (no shit, we're ass up against Mexico to the South). In any case, it's a long story but, the focus has been concentrated on those of us who are darker than pink. The interesting thing is that everyone that was involved in the creation of SB 1070 was lighter than pink, and when the governor signed it, she was surrounded by an all white entourage. Not for nothing, but it sure gives the "appearance" of a racist based policy, when NO Latinos, Blacks, or Native Americans, who are equally a part of the citizenry here in AZ, were invited to participate, openly in the discussion/creation of said proposal.

I know that this isn't the forum for this, and for that I apologize, but you can read up more on it(if interested) here:

http://www.examiner.com/x-9270-LA-Borde ... se-to-hate

Here's a little something I put together with music to commemorate such an affair! The Brown skinned children of the sun will be the ones to suffer for this......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXCTa7bZms

Suave!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby onile » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:54 am

BTW! Abure Bengon is actually a great player of Brazilian, Cuban rhythms, as well as a great bata player!

In fact, I think that he just got back from a trip, not sure.....Ben, was it Cuba?

It's great to see you posting here!

Suave!

Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:04 am

Def suspicious conditions re the passing of said law... Thats f*cked. :roll: So what gives if you hanging out, walking the dog and no papers on you? Automatic detaining? Geez... Whos the Govenor? Castro? :lol:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:07 am

Sorry for messing the thread up, Bengon, welcome to the forum.

If you have any video clips you could post up on here, would be beneficial for you & could help you out aquiring more students. Best of luck.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby bengon » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:41 am

Hi Onile and Abakua, thanks for the welcome. Tony, yes it was Cuba. I spend about two months in the Simpson neighborhood in downtown Matanzas, along with a few days in San Miguel de Patron in Havana. It was a phenomenal trip, with lots of music and lots of studying. I couldn't really keep up with the news, but every Cuban that found out I lived in AZ knew way more about the new immigration law than I.

I'll have to dig around and see if I have any recent videos, thanks for the good suggestion. Tony, when we getting together? Too many percussionists in the valley for so few rumbas!
bengon

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:11 am

I spend about two months in the Simpson neighborhood in downtown Matanzas, along with a few days in San Miguel de Patron in Havana. It was a phenomenal trip, with lots of music and lots of studying.

Great stuff man.
Me & my bro are heading over for 2 months later in the year. I cant begin to express how much I am looking forward to it.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby bengon » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:34 am

It will be amazing. I'm trying to setup a trip next year. It was, no hyperbole, life-changing.

If you're interested I've got contact info for Yaroldy Abreu, conga extraordinaire and Jean Roberto, who plays paila for Kilmax, both in Havana. Also Maykel Gasmuri and Daniel Alfonso in Matanzas, if you're interested in folkloric material.
bengon

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:51 am

No doubt, I know it will be life changing. Many who have gone before me have said the same thing, especially when going in so deep to the roots of it all.

PS - You have PM. 8)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Bata23 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:13 am

:D Hi all am new to the forum and found this link to teachers. I am looking for a conga/percussion teacher. I play a little percussion i was learning for a little while by myself but im really interested in taking lessons and learning more about the drum and its origin. I want to expand my knowledge on the beauty of the instrument. Can you guys help me out to find a teacher in Sydney,
Bata23

Next

Return to Teachers&Sudents FINDER!